Who was the best strike partnership?

36 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Chapman and Bannister/Varadi  were very effective. I would say Lee Chapman was one of most underated English centre forwards there has been, consistent reaching over 15 goals a season in the top flight but not coming close to winning an England cap.

Hirsty and Willo stand out for sheer amount of goals they scored in that one season, but really it was Hirst and A.N. Other. around that time.

I guess those strikers would day that as well as working as a partnership, they also benefited from great wide players creating chances for them ..Brian Marwood, Mark Chamberlain, Nigel Worthington, Danny Wilson ( seriously, he could cross a ball ) .

You would agree though that, as far as partnerships went, Hirst and Williams was the most effective partnership. Of his other partners, Atkinson probably had the most natural attributes, and Bright scored goals, but neither of them really worked as a pair in the way that Hirst and Williams did

11 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

Hirst and [insert either Atkinson, Williams, Warhurst, Bright].

Any of those really. Willo was good but I reckon Hirst/Atkinson had they stayed together would have been devastating.

Did Hirst and Warhurst play together much?

43 minutes ago, 1867Heaven said:

Did Hirst and Warhurst play together much?

Not much if memory serves me well, Warhurst only went upfront because Hirst was injured...

Remember Number Gate in the FA Cup Final... Watrhurst wouldn't give Hirst his Number 9 back would he

14 hours ago, torryowl said:

not seen the list but best partnership ive seen for us was fantham & layne a powerful  centre forward and quick little finisher ,nearest we've had since was hirst and Williams ...don't think we have anything similar in todays squad . 

Layne and Fantham for me too.

3 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

Layne and Fantham for me too.

I would've loved to have seen them two in action and that great early 60's side. They would be right up there among our very best strike partnerships along with Dooley and Froggatt in the 50's or Trotter, Hooper and Rimmer in the 30's or more recently Hirst and Atkinson or Williams. But surely our greatest ever strike partnership should include our all time top goal scorer Andrew Wilson alongside Spiksley or Chapman or whoever else he partnered?

Hirst was at his best with willo so probably that one.

Him n atkinson maybe would have been but we lacked the wingers to feed them really.

Hirst n bright good but hirst was injured a fair bit during brights time i think.

think warhurst played with bright?, that was a good combo

Edited by Ash77

35 minutes ago, trotter said:

Hirst and Atkinson for me

I think this partnership, given the chance, could have matured into one of the best Premiership pairings on record.

Both 21/22 years old when they first played together, real potential  for a record breaking partnership.

Unfortunately Damian only stuck around for one season.

Real, real pity.:picnic:

2 hours ago, ramone said:

Not much if memory serves me well, Warhurst only went upfront because Hirst was injured...

Remember Number Gate in the FA Cup Final... Watrhurst wouldn't give Hirst his Number 9 back would he

They started the season together, and it looked like the dream partnership, full of pace and goals. It never happened though, and after about 7 or 8 goalless games, Bright was brought in to partner Hirst. We continued to miss chances at an alarming rate, especially Bright, but it was him who then went on a scoring run. Not sure why the Hirst Warhurst pairing never sparked, perhaps they were too similar, and wanted to make the same runs. That was also the case with Hirst and Atkinson. Maybe, given time, it might have worked, but we didn't have time

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

They started the season together, and it looked like the dream partnership, full of pace and goals. It never happened though, and after about 7 or 8 goalless games, Bright was brought in to partner Hirst. We continued to miss chances at an alarming rate, especially Bright, but it was him who then went on a scoring run. Not sure why the Hirst Warhurst pairing never sparked, perhaps they were too similar, and wanted to make the same runs. That was also the case with Hirst and Atkinson. Maybe, given time, it might have worked, but we didn't have time

I love someone with a good memory - I was only a nipper then, maybe 7 or 8 so my memories are a little glazed I must admit... 

35 minutes ago, ramone said:

I love someone with a good memory - I was only a nipper then, maybe 7 or 8 so my memories are a little glazed I must admit... 

Actually, my memory is pretty good, but I too was only young. Still prone to the odd brain fart though, so it might not have been exactly how I remember it

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Actually, my memory is pretty good, but I too was only young. Still prone to the odd brain fart though, so it might not have been exactly how I remember it

sounds about right what you said and again I think your right with they were to similar and wernt on the same wavelength when it came to making runs .we played at west ham early on and remember hirsty giving warhurst some right stick for not getting on the end of a ball he played thru and warhurst wernt shy of giving him some back ....I would add that warhurst's heart wasn't in it and he's was hankering for a big money move which he got about 1 month into the season .I think it's fair to assume that him and francis wernt on the best of terms after the cup final fiasco  and the 1st decent offer that came along francis was happy for him to go ....I think we spent the money on andy sinton but that's another story