Who was the best strike partnership?

1 hour ago, ramone said:

Not much if memory serves me well, Warhurst only went upfront because Hirst was injured...

Remember Number Gate in the FA Cup Final... Watrhurst wouldn't give Hirst his Number 9 back would he

He wore 5 in the first ever game with squad numbers.

2 hours ago, Eightace said:

Bannister and Varadi

they were good with a big tony Cunningham along side them .....shame banno cleared off and didn't play in the top flight together, coz with chapman taking cunninhams place the 3 of them would have been a force to be reckoned with  

3 hours ago, 1867Heaven said:

Did Hirst and Warhurst play together much?

They did at the opening of the season following Warhursts goals exploits.

However , they kept making similar runs and almost getting in each others way.

Despite our excitement, I'm pretty sure we went the first 3 games without scoring and Bright had to be reintroduced to the mix.

As has been debated on here many times this season...it's not always about throwing the best players into a team and hoping it works.

It's about the best blends, isn't it. 

(Cue- thread derailment as someone mentions Nuhiu/Hooper with FF left last season!):biggrin:

Williams and Hirst worked so well because Williams was such an unselfish foil.

He would work his cajones off pulling into wide areas and dragging players around with him.

His goals output was relatively poor (puts tin hat on!) in such a creative side.  16 and 9 before he moved on and dropped back down the leagues.

But that's what make partnerships- personalities as much as technical and physical attributes.

Atkinson was a beast with the potential to be as great as he wanted to be.  But Hirst really came into his own when Williams came in.

He wasn't bothered about being top dog. He understood the value of the team as a complete working unit. 

It takes a certain personality to do that. 

2 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Lineker and Beardsley for England - fantastic understanding

Beardsley, dropping into little pockets of space. Always finding the room no matter how tight the game.

Getting inbetween the lines in modern parlance

(though you think it had only just been invented in the last ten years the way folks bang on about it. All this "playing the hole" and "Number 10" and "False 9" cobblers. 4-2-3-1 between the lines. Beardsley was was doing that 30 years ago.)

Great partnership!

19 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Beardsley, dropping into little pockets of space. Always finding the room no matter how tight the game.

Getting inbetween the lines in modern parlance

(though you think it had only just been invented in the last ten years the way folks bang on about it. All this "playing the hole" and "Number 10" and "False 9" cobblers. 4-2-3-1 between the lines. Beardsley was was doing that 30 years ago.)

Great partnership!

Totally agree, and one of the first forwards to be recognised for his assists and ability rather than his goal tally.

Keegan - Lineker- Shearer- Owen ..all talismanic big game goal scorers for England in their generation, who had a 'non goal scorer' doing the work for them. . I wonder if we will have another. I sometimes wish Rooney had been more selfish and stubborn, can you imagine his goal record if he had just insisted on being an out and out striker and penalty taker?.

Maybe we should have just played Crouch and Rooney up front for England over the last 10 years.

35 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Owen and Heskey ?

Mark Hughes and Brian Mclair?

I think the age of the strike partnership is over to be honest, as 4-4-2 is going the same ways as betamax  and minidiscs.

Son of Bannofan will be saying that in thirty years time.

17 hours ago, torryowl said:

not seen the list but best partnership ive seen for us was fantham & layne a powerful  centre forward and quick little finisher ,nearest we've had since was hirst and Williams ...don't think we have anything similar in todays squad . 

Yes, that duo bring back good memories. I think Ellis and Fantham from that era were effective, too,  though the former was a tad limited with his feet - great with his head though. Fantham was good at everything, but could be lazy.

Guest Copthorneowl
1 minute ago, Doctor John said:

Yes, that duo bring back good memories. I think Ellis and Fantham from that era were effective, too,  though the former was a tad limited with his feet - great with his head though. Fantham was good at everything, but could be lazy.

Keith 'Knocker' Ellis great header of the ball, typical old fashioned centre forward been waiting for his name on this thread. So clumsy with his feet he would have as soon have run through a closed gate as round it. Great team we were then.

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Owen and Heskey ?

Mark Hughes and Brian Mclair?

I think the age of the strike partnership is over to be honest, as 4-4-2 is going the same ways as betamax  and minidiscs.

Don't f*cking tell me betamax has had its day..I've just bought one.

I'm taping Kojack tonight.

5 hours ago, Copthorneowl said:

Keith 'Knocker' Ellis great header of the ball, typical old fashioned centre forward been waiting for his name on this thread. So clumsy with his feet he would have as soon have run through a closed gate as round it. Great team we were then.

only saw ellis a couple of times and cant really recall him ......when you look at his record 52 goals in a 102  games for one of the top clubs in the country at that time you'd think that these days he'd be worth 20million and be playing for England ....we sold him to Scunthorpe for around 10 k ....