Parking Tickets

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No.
Not he doesn't

Not at all

It's just the same as someone saying 'If they put the prices up next year I'm ripping my season ticket up' or 'If they don't sign a striker that's me done' etc etc

There's so many places to park around the ground and so many ways to get to the ground there's no excuse for getting ticketed/fined OR saying you're boycotting the matches.

HOW DID THEY COPE WHEN THERE USED TO BE 50,000 FANS IN OUR GROUND?

There speaks a man who obviously has all the access he wants to the ground, have you bothered to read anything i have posted Neil or are you just being a nob for the sake of it?

Why dont you put your almighty knowledge to good use, screen shot Google maps and point out all the spots where legal parking is available on match days? It must be lovely knowing Sheffield like the back of your hand and using the information to stand on a virtual soap box to point out how useless people are.

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Back in the day when we had 50,000 the bus network was far better, and I remember buses queueing up after the match. Less people had cars.  

Back in the day you could park anywhere. And no one way systems. 

Back in in the day people had more time to get to matches. Life was less hectic. 

Back in the day there was less traffic. 

While you make a fair point about the lack of car parks around the ground I'm afraid the "other things to do" excuse doesn't wash. If you're planning on driving to the ground as others have stated, then you need to plan to arrive in reasonable time to be able to park. If you can't then you need to change your plans or arrive late and miss the kick off. 

Councils and police are not out to "get you" like others have stated. If you leave an hour before the game, travel at 38 in a 30 and park illegally when you arrive you shouldn't be surprised that you get a ticket for each. 

I've lived off Leppings Lane and there's always been parking available up until an hour before kick off. There's plenty of parking, you just need to get your walking boots on.

On 02/10/2016 at 12:26, @owlstalk said:

When the Wednesdayite car park goes that is the end of me and the wife as active supporters. It is a 60 mile round trip for us and while it is not the furthest distance people travel it is enough to not be risking the price of 2 season tickets only to turn up and there not be any parking or to park where you think you're ok and getting a fine.

We have looked at the options and because suddenly there is an extra 600 cars fighting for car parking we cant work out a viable option. As a consequence the club loses 2x season ticket purchases, 2x shirt purchases, 2x however many matches 50/50 tickets and 2x less voices to be heard.

We've been season ticket holders for years and years and we've been beaten by a parking spot.

lol

amazing 

WOW! -- must be a wind up..

Park further away and get the tram in ... turn up earlier and park in another car park....

59 minutes ago, vulva said:

Could you clarify point 2.  Numerous and many car parks around the ground? 

The guy who is saying he won't come anymore is a little extreme, but he has a point. It's a perfect storm in that a major car park is closing and the council appear intent on both issuing tickets and adding more yellow lines. Someone mentioned the roads opposite Middlewood Road, but a number double yellows have appeared recently. 

Re turning up early, and this maybe a shock to some, but some people have other things to do as well, on Saturdays. 

Not sure there is a solution here, but just highlighting that when the W'ite car park closes, and we have a big crowd, it will be gridlock. 

The thing is me and the missus don't want to stop coming to the matches at all Vulva, it is ripping us up inside that it might be coming to and end, but we don't want to get a fine or have to go straight back home, if i am paying nearly £1000 for season tickets it isn't unreasonable to expect to be able to park somewhere surely?

Thank you to everyone that has offered parking suggestions BTW, it is much appreciated.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Apart from the fact we rarely have had 50,000 in my lifetime but I remember the absolute mare if there was ever more than 28k in the stadium. Got to remember that back in the 80's it wasn't even dual carriageway back into town, memory recalls that it went down to a single carriageway just by the Kop.

Living north of the city I used to walk down to Hillsborough Park or the dog track to wait for the bus home. A number of times at 6pm I would finally be on the bus and be passing the ground. Then queue for another 30 minutes up Halifax Road. Certainly in the days the away fans used Wadsley Bridge station it was utter gridlock until they had managed to get them on the trains

I do get your point but there are not a huge number of carparks around the ground. I always use Claywheels Lane but there is the lottery of knowing whether the police will command this space for larger away followings to park the coaches. I now set off from my Mums in High Green at 1.30pm on matchday to get a decent spot - so end up in the ground just after 2pm

Public transport isn't a decent option if you are travelling miles to the game

The point is it shouldn't be a challenge to get to the game and park

9 minutes ago, dowls said:

WOW! -- must be a wind up..

Park further away and get the tram in ... turn up earlier and park in another car park....

No Trams coming from the north, we arrive at 12.30pm now, not sure where the other car parks are and how does that solve the other 599 cars fighting for a spot?

Edited by UTO1867

pitching up at 12:30 park at hardcore building supplies on Rawson spring road (behind the Beres pork shop) .. cost £5 and i have turned up at 2:20 and parked there ... you will be fine..

Edited by dowls

10 minutes ago, dowls said:

pitching up at 12:30 park at hardcore building supplies on Rawson spring road (behind the Beres pork shop) .. cost £5 and i have turned up at 2:20 and parked there ... you will be fine..

Took me ages to get out of there after recent midweek game. Handy location though.

In terms of free parking, up Herries anywhere from Cookson up is fine and 10 minutes walk to ground

4 hours ago, UTO1867 said:

No disrespect taken but would you care to elaborate how i should know the area pretty well?

I am going to sit on the kop and that's it, i haven't been driving around the area sightseeing.

Here is the area i am confident about when i go to a match, i have never had to go any further.

Image1.jpg

I think you should know the area well because you said. you have been going for 25 years , how long do you needlol. I have no reason to know Hillsborough anymore than you I have found places to park its really not that difficult.  But to help you where I park depends on where I come in from and where I intend to go afterwards. The side roads off Penistone Road,( try around Burton Road ) are normally favourite because I normally travel south after the game. If I was travelling North then I would look to park up off Herries Road or Halifax road on one of the housing estates. I can absolutely assure you that if you are prepared to walk  a few hundred yards to the ground and you get there at least an hour before kick off. You should have no problem whatsoever. I never have so why should anybody else have a problem?

4 hours ago, UTO1867 said:

Again the point has been missed, an extra 600 cars are going to be thrown in the the mix.

Even this non gambler will have a tenner with you that if we meet at 13:30 on a Saturday for a 15:00 kick off I will find you a free parking space within  a few hundred yards  walk from the ground regardless of whether the Wednesdayite car park is open or not.

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

On a serious note the Wednesdayite Car Park currently caters (at a significantly reduced rate) for 80 disabled car users.

God knows where they will end up

This is obviously a genuine concern. As a matter of interest how long as the Wednesdayite car park been in existence and how was handicap parking catered for before it existed?

5 hours ago, UTO1867 said:

No disrespect taken but would you care to elaborate how i should know the area pretty well?

I am going to sit on the kop and that's it, i haven't been driving around the area sightseeing.

Here is the area i am confident about when i go to a match, i have never had to go any further.

Image1.jpg

I'm assuming that you have a regular route to the ground and don't just teleport your car into this area? Surely there are likely parking spaces on that route which aren't too far away? You'd probably even get home a lot quicker by doing that if you're not queuing to get out of the car park.

If I drive to an away game I always take some time with Google Maps / Streetview to identify likely places to park, maybe you could do the same for home games?

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

On a serious note the Wednesdayite Car Park currently caters (at a significantly reduced rate) for 80 disabled car users.

God knows where they will end up

A taxi from the nearest free place to park will be just as cheap as the cost of the car park - a little less convenient admittedly but a solution all the same

32 minutes ago, Geedee said:

Even this non gambler will have a tenner with you that if we meet at 13:30 on a Saturday for a 15:00 kick off I will find you a free parking space within  a few hundred yards  walk from the ground regardless of whether the Wednesdayite car park is open or not.

32 minutes ago, Geedee said:

But could you find 600 spaces?

6 minutes ago, Ian said:

A taxi from the nearest free place to park will be just as cheap as the cost of the car park - a little less convenient admittedly but a solution all the same

Where are the 80 taxis going to park after the match to pick people up and take them back to their cars?

6 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I'm assuming that you have a regular route to the ground and don't just teleport your car into this area? Surely there are likely parking spaces on that route which aren't too far away? You'd probably even get home a lot quicker by doing that if you're not queuing to get out of the car park.

If I drive to an away game I always take some time with Google Maps / Streetview to identify likely places to park, maybe you could do the same for home games?

Absolutely spot on....so 600 cars will have to find somewhere to park....exactly like an away match most weeks.

The solution is very simple......drive to the ground via your normal route. Get to the ground and then start to drive back home looking for parking spaces along the way. You will then find the most suitable place to park which is nearest to the ground on that particular day. You can go about this 2 ways......either arrive early the first week and if what you find in well within your walking capability try 5 minutes later each week or if on the first week you find somewhere that is bordering on too far away then come a bit earlier the week after

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

Where are the 80 taxis going to park after the match to pick people up and take them back to their cars?

That's a good point....perhaps someone can make a suggestion to the club / council regarding a taxi queuing / pick up area near to the ground

3 hours ago, UTO1867 said:

It must be lovely knowing Sheffield like the back of your hand and using the information to stand on a virtual soap box to point out how useless people are.

Serious question - How do fans who drive to away games know where to park at those grounds?

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, UTO1867 said:

No Trams coming from the north, we arrive at 12.30pm now, not sure where the other car parks are and how does that solve the other 599 cars fighting for a spot?

Coming from the North park at the Middlewood Park and Ride and walk the 5 minutes to the ground...put it in your sat nav sorted

On 02/10/2016 at 13:36, pompeyowl said:

Which goes to prove that you're not actually innocent until proven guilty.

Why is it this way when it comes to parking? Surely it's down to THEM why they're demanding you pay up your money? They're the ones that have taken the photos, so they should have the proof. Are we supposed to be taking photos of every place we park, just incase one of these aresholes decides to slap a fine on us?

Just out of interest, have you seen the 8 out of 10 cats video on parking fines?

I have seen that video... amusing, but doesn't work like that in real life. The last time I disputed a parking fine, the council refused to discuss it with me further. They upheld the fine and said that if I didn't like it, I could take it to court... it's not worth risking paying £100s in court costs if I lose just to get out of a £30 fine. I just paid it. 

On 01/10/2016 at 18:59, Ian said:

Rubbish...you don't have the right to park anywhere....not sure where you live but I'm sure you'd be pissed off if someone rocked up and parked on your front garden.

Also ask wheelchair users or blind people how they feel about folk parking on the pavement....I also believe that driving across a pavement that doesn't have dropped curbs to park somewhere is an offence.

As always it's those enforcing the law that are labelled as "twats" yet that that choose to ignore it see themselves as victims 

This is the truth