Parking Tickets

15 hours ago, Geedee said:

Fair point,  although I don't think 600 cars spread over a 20min walking radius of Hillsborough sounds a lot.

It isn't if it is only 600 cars, but it is all the current cars plus an extra 600 cars.

As i have said elsewhere in this thread all the free spots on Penistone Road (up to the ground coming from Sainsburys) have gone when we turn up between 12.30pm and 1pm on a match day, so it isn't just a case of finding parking for 600 cars, its parking for thousands of cars and the restrictions are getting tighter every year.

I don't know why the club doesn't arrange out of city parking and provide its own park and ride service, it makes perfect sense given they are after different sources of revenue.

Good point UTO

It works pretty well at Brighton where parking is horrendous at the stadium.

Not sure if there is room up at Tankersley for example for folk coming down the M1

May have been asked already in the thread, but why did they get rid of the football specials?  Is it because the Supertram "took over"? There used to be loads of them parked behind the Kop - surely they'd be profitable given the fares they charge nowadays and it'd ease the congestion as well. Say £2 per person from the ground to the city centre, plus the extra income from onward journeys, they'd be raking it in.

3 minutes ago, alanharper said:

May have been asked already in the thread, but why did they get rid of the football specials?

In days gone by there was enough support in my local area where there was a supporters bus to every home match, it used to pick people up from 4 or 5 villages and it was 2 quid each there and back, no idea why it stopped because it wasn't lack of use that's for sure.

3 hours ago, mkowl said:

Good point UTO

It works pretty well at Brighton where parking is horrendous at the stadium.

Not sure if there is room up at Tankersley for example for folk coming down the M1

Does it f**k work well at Brighton.....by far and away my worst away match experience ever is going that that place.......I'd love to know what the planners were thinking when they agreed to that......for those who haven't been its like us building a new ground on the top of the snake pass and saying we'll bus you all in from Ladybower or Glossop.....and then you can all queue for a bus back afterwards......I say all because some of the car parks might get full and then its just tough poo

Guest white kanu
On 1 October 2016 at 18:59, Ian said:

Rubbish...you don't have the right to park anywhere....not sure where you live but I'm sure you'd be pissed off if someone rocked up and parked on your front garden.

Also ask wheelchair users or blind people how they feel about folk parking on the pavement....I also believe that driving across a pavement that doesn't have dropped curbs to park somewhere is an offence.

As always it's those enforcing the law that are labelled as "twats" yet that that choose to ignore it see themselves as victims 

I think the frustrating thing is that they come out deliberately on match days for an hour to cash in. Hardly see em round Hillsborough any other time.

48 minutes ago, Ian said:

Does it f**k work well at Brighton.....by far and away my worst away match experience ever is going that that place.......I'd love to know what the planners were thinking when they agreed to that......for those who haven't been its like us building a new ground on the top of the snake pass and saying we'll bus you all in from Ladybower or Glossop.....and then you can all queue for a bus back afterwards......I say all because some of the car parks might get full and then its just tough poo

It works pretty well given the restrictions around the Brighton stadium

To bus more people in and out of Hillsborough would make sense - so coming from the north, park at Tankersley, get a bus to outside the stadium, get bus back to Tankersley post game and then drive home. As long as the buses were efficiently organised folk would potentially save time. Set up park and ride on the trams from other parts of town. Why not on matchday divert all trams that go to Malin Bridge to Middlewood Road

Certainly worth exploring for those with disabilities that could be displaced come the end of the Wednesdayite car park

5 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Why not on matchday divert all trams that go to Malin Bridge to Middlewood Road

Certainly worth exploring for those with disabilities that could be displaced come the end of the Wednesdayite car park

And what about people who live at Malin Bridge.....what about those with disabilities that live there....is it just tough poo poo for them?

The closure of the Wednesdayite car park will be a none issue

20 hours ago, Geedee said:

Fair point,  although I don't think 600 cars spread over a 20min walking radius of Hillsborough sounds a lot.  I admit I can't easily picture what 600 cars looks like spread out over residential roads. As I mentioned there needs to be careful thought for those who genuinely cant walk a few hundred yards. 

But I stand by what I said if I turn up 90 mins before kickoff I am confident that I could find a free legal parking spot within a 20 mins walk of Hillsborough regardless of whether the wednesdayite car park is open or not. 

4 hours ago, UTO1867 said:

It isn't if it is only 600 cars, but it is all the current cars plus an extra 600 cars.

As i have said elsewhere in this thread all the free spots on Penistone Road (up to the ground coming from Sainsburys) have gone when we turn up between 12.30pm and 1pm on a match day, so it isn't just a case of finding parking for 600 cars, its parking for thousands of cars and the restrictions are getting tighter every year.

I don't know why the club doesn't arrange out of city parking and provide its own park and ride service, it makes perfect sense given they are after different sources of revenue.

OK if you wish to be pedantic an extra 600 cars. In the above post you are saying you are getting to Hillsborough between 2 and 2 1/2 hours before kick off and you say you cant find a free parking spot   lol . .Look at Sham 67's post a page back or so one more time there is no shortage of space at Hillsborough. 

11 minutes ago, mkowl said:

It works pretty well given the restrictions around the Brighton stadium

To bus more people in and out of Hillsborough would make sense - so coming from the north, park at Tankersley, get a bus to outside the stadium, get bus back to Tankersley post game and then drive home. As long as the buses were efficiently organised folk would potentially save time. Set up park and ride on the trams from other parts of town. Why not on matchday divert all trams that go to Malin Bridge to Middlewood Road

The Brighton stadium IMO is a very good reason for considering staying at Hillsborough. Compare parking for free  going to the Barracks or the Crown for a pint with your mates before the match to parking and paying for parking and spending your time on a bus to the Amex  ground. 

Set off for games at 11:30 generally for a 3pm kick off . Get there between 2 and half 2 . Between 5 and 6 hour round trip . W'ite car park was so easy because all you had to do was go right up to the stadium and you were guaranteed parking pretty much , no bother , no messing about , no thinking "I wonder if so and so street is available to park on. It's secure which if you're not from around puts your mind at rest .

so far In this thread there's only been 1 other car park mentioned (one at back of beres) which incidentally I used for the b city game after arriving late and w'ite car park being full and then panicking about a spot. It's important for people like myself and uto1867 and I'm sure many others the options we have . 

Some right clowns have already put on the thread get here for 1-1:30 and there's loads of street parking.  So you'd like me to set off at 10am then and then get home for 8pm. I'd like to see half you guys do that journey constantly for 23 matches a season and not be bothered about parking .

2 minutes ago, solo said:

Set off for games at 11:30 generally for a 3pm kick off . Get there between 2 and half 2 . Between 5 and 6 hour round trip . W'ite car park was so easy because all you had to do was go right up to the stadium and you were guaranteed parking pretty much , no bother , no messing about , no thinking "I wonder if so and so street is available to park on. It's secure which if you're not from around puts your mind at rest .

so far In this thread there's only been 1 other car park mentioned (one at back of beres) which incidentally I used for the b city game after arriving late and w'ite car park being full and then panicking about a spot. It's important for people like myself and uto1867 and I'm sure many others the options we have . 

Some right clowns have already put on the thread get here for 1-1:30 and there's loads of street parking.  So you'd like me to set off at 10am then and then get home for 8pm. I'd like to see half you guys do that journey constantly for 23 matches a season and not be bothered about parking .

Firstly no need for the insults, Secondly you go to a lot more matches than me now but I have been driving or motorcycling to Hillsborough since Jack Charlton was manager I have never paid for parking , never parked illegally and never failed to find a parking space.  You say you sometimes get there at 14:30 getting to a football match 30 mins before the game is cutting it close get there a bit earlier and you will have no problem.

4 minutes ago, solo said:

Spot on

I don't think a lot of folk on here actually comprehend how far some Wednesday fans travel to the game

I am lucky I can go to my Mums pre match to break the journey - but night games unless I take most the afternoon off I am straight there and straight back so being able to park reasonably close to the ground is quite appreciated.

I dont finish work till 1pm in Middlesbrough but still managed to get parked up in the gym opposite Sainsburys at 2:50 and in the ground for kick off. It's really not that hard. If you don't want to pay to park in the gym then get there before 2pm and park on the street outside it for free. 

Guest Deleted member
21 hours ago, Grandad said:

Where are 80 cars going to park for free and get a taxi for £1.50 each way?

2 hours ago, Ian said:

The closure of the Wednesdayite car park will be a none issue

So back to those disabled fans

Guest Deleted member
7 hours ago, Geedee said:

I don't think Penistone Road is any different to any road going past a football stadium on matchday. Derby where I live is a car park near Pride Park, Forest the same. let alone the big grounds like Old Trafford, Anfield  and the Emirates. Basically if you drive near a ground  close to kick off there will be delays. Answer  get there early and enjoy and enjoy your day

I always get home in my car faster from Elland Rd than I do Hillsborough. And I live 12 miles to the east of Hillsborough at M1 Jcn 31

2 hours ago, white kanu said:

I think the frustrating thing is that they come out deliberately on match days for an hour to cash in. Hardly see em round Hillsborough any other time.

This is exactly my point.   I see cars parked in exactly the same position on weekdays with no ticket (and causing no obstruction or problem).  On saturday a car parked in the same place gets a ticket.  For what purpose ?   If it's dangerous/ against the law/causing a problem on Saturday, it is on a Wednesday isn't it ?

If a car is genuinely causing an obstruction or parked dangerously it should be ticketed, but the law/rules are there to keep traffic moving and safe, not for the council to blitz an area on one specific day when they know people are at the match.

I don't park there myself but an example is the wide pavement outside the leisure centre, cars park there, well over to the side, causing no harm at all, yet sometimes (just sometimes) get a ticket.

Another example is the road where I park (legally).  It is a dead end with only factories (closed on Saturday) yet cars parked beyond the yellow line (there is no pavement) get a ticket.  There are no pedestrians, no through traffic, no danger and no obstruction, they are harming no one.

Too many people glibly say "Don't park illegally" but the rules/laws are there FOR the public, not to penalise them.  The council should appreciate that football fans spend money in the local economy and should only ticket  really inconsiderate parking.

On 01/10/2016 at 21:20, Grandad said:

I live at Loxley

19 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I always get home in my car faster from Elland Rd than I do Hillsborough. And I live 12 miles to the east of Hillsborough at M1 Jcn 31

Come on Grandad!!!

How long has Loxley been 12 miles east of Hillsborough at M1 jct 31. lol

Guest Deleted member
35 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Come on Grandad!!!

How long has Loxley been 12 miles east of Hillsborough at M1 jct 31. lol

OK - lived.

I'm moving back in May.