Parking Tickets

2 hours ago, DeeeeeJ said:

But could you find 600 spaces?

Fair point,  although I don't think 600 cars spread over a 20min walking radius of Hillsborough sounds a lot.  I admit I can't easily picture what 600 cars looks like spread out over residential roads. As I mentioned there needs to be careful thought for those who genuinely cant walk a few hundred yards. 

But I stand by what I said if I turn up 90 mins before kickoff I am confident that I could find a free legal parking spot within a 20 mins walk of Hillsborough regardless of whether the wednesdayite car park is open or not. 

5 minutes ago, Geedee said:

Fair point,  although I don't think 600 cars spread over a 20min walking radius of Hillsborough sounds a lot.  I admit I can't easily picture what 600 cars looks like spread out over residential roads. As I mentioned there needs to be careful thought for those who genuinely cant walk a few hundred yards. 

But I stand by what I said if I turn up 90 mins before kickoff I am confident that I could find a free legal parking spot within a 20 mins walk of Hillsborough regardless of whether the wednesdayite car park is open or not. 

I live a 20 mins walk from the ground.  We have nobody parking up here.  It's a good 5 mins walk down the hill before I see any sign of match day parking.  I leave home at 2.30pm.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Absolutely spot on....so 600 cars will have to find somewhere to park....exactly like an away match most weeks.

The solution is very simple......drive to the ground via your normal route. Get to the ground and then start to drive back home looking for parking spaces along the way. You will then find the most suitable place to park which is nearest to the ground on that particular day. You can go about this 2 ways......either arrive early the first week and if what you find in well within your walking capability try 5 minutes later each week or if on the first week you find somewhere that is bordering on too far away then come a bit earlier the week after

This is the easiest solution and one I've used for matches all over Europe and never failed to be 15-20 min walking distance.

Guest Deleted member
3 hours ago, Ian said:

A taxi from the nearest free place to park will be just as cheap as the cost of the car park - a little less convenient admittedly but a solution all the same

Where are 80 cars going to park for free and get a taxi for £1.50 each way?

I can see both sides of this argument, but the bit that's forgotten is the demographic of the fanbase. I'm sure that when we had 50,000 most of those 50,000 lived within 5 to 10 miles of the ground. Traveling anywhere these days, especially across Sheffield is a swine, and people would just like it a bit easier when they arrive. 

As noted before, not sure there is a solution, and I'm still waiting for an answer on where all these car parks are. 

The crux is that watching Wednesday is a leisure activity. It may not always seem that way I know. 

But why does Meadowhall get the shoppers, why are supermarkets successful, why did they build cinema complexes on the edge of town, why do folk go to foodie places away from the town centre. I wonder what the common denominator is - erm let's see loads of free parking no more than about 2 minutes walk from the front door.

We are making watching Wednesday look like a military exercise in comparison. 

9 hours ago, UTO1867 said:

No disrespect taken but would you care to elaborate how i should know the area pretty well?

I am going to sit on the kop and that's it, i haven't been driving around the area sightseeing.

Here is the area i am confident about when i go to a match, i have never had to go any further.

Image1.jpg

Your dlck and balls look weird mate.

Edited by Sonny

Hillsborough as some

top notch travel

links plus decent option for street parking.

People advocating a new ground because of parking ... Wow

Thinking of the "new" grounds and parking my opinion of a few below

Stoke ... Awful

Boro ... Awful

Derby ... Awful

Sunderland .. Awful

Amex ....... Horrendous

Colchester .... Ok

Coventry ... Laughable

Donny.... Awful

Rotherham ... Awful

Man City ... Poor

Swansea ... Not bad

Cardiff ... Average

Scunthorpe ... A lottery

Hull ... Average 

Huddersfield ... A lottery

Wigan .... Ok

Bolton ... Ok

Wolves ... Ok

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

The crux is that watching Wednesday is a leisure activity. It may not always seem that way I know. 

But why does Meadowhall get the shoppers, why are supermarkets successful, why did they build cinema complexes on the edge of town, why do folk go to foodie places away from the town centre. I wonder what the common denominator is - erm let's see loads of free parking no more than about 2 minutes walk from the front door.

We are making watching Wednesday look like a military exercise in comparison. 

Look at the adverts for places like Meadowhall, cinema complexes,new supermarkets etc and they always make a big thing about how many parking spaces there is and the fact that it's free and if it isn't free most places you can get your parking paid as a concession in a store.

16 minutes ago, dowls said:

Hillsborough as some

top notch travel

links plus decent option for street parking.

People advocating a new ground because of parking ... Wow

Thinking of the "new" grounds and parking my opinion of a few below

Stoke ... Awful

Boro ... Awful

Derby ... Awful

Sunderland .. Awful

Amex ....... Horrendous

Colchester .... Ok

Coventry ... Laughable

Donny.... Awful

Rotherham ... Awful

Man City ... Poor

Swansea ... Not bad

Cardiff ... Average

Scunthorpe ... A lottery

Hull ... Average 

Huddersfield ... A lottery

Wigan .... Ok

Bolton ... Ok

Wolves ... Ok

Discussion on 5 live a few years ago about access etc to football grounds. bottom of the pile ie the worst was Hillsborough

5 minutes ago, darra said:

Look at the adverts for places like Meadowhall, cinema complexes,new supermarkets etc and they always make a big thing about how many parking spaces there is and the fact that it's free and if it isn't free most places you can get your parking paid as a concession in a store.

Meh such nonsense will never catch on with consumers ! 

2 minutes ago, Geedee said:

I don't understand that at all, how was this based?

It was a while back but as I remember it was taking into account things like ease of driving to the ground parking etc. Again as I remember it traffic on Penistone Road was mentioned as a factor

It's pretty easy to avoid a ticket

1. Arrive 50/60 minutes before kick off

2. Be prepared for a 15 minute walk.

3. Park legally ie not on a pavement/yellow line/ car parks with time restriction like supermarkets etc.

There are lots of sideroads within a short walk if you arrive in plenty of time, plus you get away quicker if you'require that little bit further away.

17 hours ago, alanharper said:

I'm assuming that you have a regular route to the ground and don't just teleport your car into this area? Surely there are likely parking spaces on that route which aren't too far away? You'd probably even get home a lot quicker by doing that if you're not queuing to get out of the car park.

If I drive to an away game I always take some time with Google Maps / Streetview to identify likely places to park, maybe you could do the same for home games?

Coming from the M1 once you get to Sheffield it is all dual carriageway, the only obvious spot i have seen without driving around is a car park sign next to the railway pub, i'll just have to be more observant for the next few months i guess.

As for away games we have always used the coach.

12 hours ago, darra said:

It was a while back but as I remember it was taking into account things like ease of driving to the ground parking etc. Again as I remember it traffic on Penistone Road was mentioned as a factor

I don't think Penistone Road is any different to any road going past a football stadium on matchday. Derby where I live is a car park near Pride Park, Forest the same. let alone the big grounds like Old Trafford, Anfield  and the Emirates. Basically if you drive near a ground  close to kick off there will be delays. Answer  get there early and enjoy and enjoy your day