Where are you @ with Carvalhal?

We drew away at Fulham, after playing well and conceding late on.

Take a step back from the situation - would your views on CC be the same if Scott Malone had ballooned that one over the bar instead of scoring and we had grabbed 3 points and be sitting back in the playoff positions?

Some huge over-reactive drama queens on here - expectation levels of us being suddenly amazing now after spending a bit of money are crazy.

25 minutes ago, Beholder said:

In terms of expectation it's a decent comparison.

We were performing worse under megson when he got sacked than we are under Carlos.

But whereas under Megson we had that great run before Christmas, we haven't put a decent winning spell together this season.

I get that......

But let's be fair we are also comparing 2 very different divisions of football as well. 

Yes - League One was relatively competitive but nothing like this Championship, it's arguable that there are probably half if not more than half of the team's in this division that can achieve top 6.

The way I see it is that we've had a number of player's that have either dipped in form, finding their feet at a new club and a couple who aren't quite improving us.

Does a new manager coming in with the above mix sort that out instantly or do they need a few months to suss it all out as well? 

My personal opinion is we still have a hangover from having come so close last season and we are still working that out of our system. 

This team and coach do not lack ability and we are still in the top 10 a couple of points of the top 6 when not playing at our best - in season's gone by we'd be kicking around the bottom 3. 

The simple facts are, unless you have a PL squad or the makings of one that can romp the division like Newcastle appear to be about to then every game is a scrap and 3 points really do have to be earnt. We're not a million miles off it but we need to put the chances away on a far more consistent basis and relying on 1 goal to win a game.

15 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

Take a step back from the situation - would your views on CC be the same if Scott Malone had ballooned that one over the bar instead of scoring and we had grabbed 3 points and be sitting back in the playoff positions?

Some huge over-reactive drama queens on here - expectation levels of us being suddenly amazing now after spending a bit of money are crazy.

In all honesty, my views would have been the same.  I'm not basing my opinion on a couple of games here and there, but on the whole season so far.  Far too many dropped points.  Far too many bizarre decisions in terms of tactics and selection.  

I'm not expecting us to be amazing.  I just don't think treading water after the money we have spent is acceptable progress.

31 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

If we had a team capable of winning consistently by 1-0 then that's fair enough, but we clearly don't and so not being able to score twice in a game is going to continuously cost us. 

Yes we may win 1-0 at Wolves (if they miss their chances) but then one goal may not be enough to win the next few games if Preston and Barnsley stick a 30 yarder into the top corner, Or if the referee gives them a dodgy penalty etc 

In the play off final we never looked like scoring, and though we defended well a 30 yard worldy went in and we were beaten. You have to bring more onto the pitch to compensate for that, because the opposition may just produce something special or lucky once in 90 minutes

I think the worry some fans are getting is if we don't have a team that can "kill teams off" when we're on top, we'll continue to drop points like we did yesterday. 

Edited by Southie_Owl

25 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I'm not expecting us to be amazing.  I just don't think treading water after the money we have spent is acceptable progress.

This line about how much we have spent keeps getting used over and over again but no one is actually taking into account how much other teams have spent and how much we needed to spend just to catch up getting in the same quality players as the teams like derby who have spent more than we did just this summer for years.

For example the team we just drew away against spent..........£21.7 million in the summer!!

52 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

We drew because we are naive - i've just watched Chelsea close a tight 1-0 away win out. They brought on a player in injury time and took one minute and slowed the game down and whatever impetus Middlesbrough had fizzled out. I'm not comparing like for like, but we ought to be able to manage these final minutes better when in front.

We had only made two subs up to the goal  - CC needs be be a bit more tactical in these close games.

33 minutes ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

This line about how much we have spent keeps getting used over and over again but no one is actually taking into account how much other teams have spent and how much we needed to spend just to catch up getting in the same quality players as the teams like derby who have spent more than we did just this summer for years.

For example the team we just drew away against spent..........£21.7 million in the summer!!

How much did the following teams spend;

Burton

Leeds

Cardiff

Birmingham

Brentford

Ipswich

We're not going to win every game but that is 14 points dropped when we should really have picked up many more. 

Guest wilyfox

Happy to support Carlos because I like teams that wanna get the ball down and play. Some of our interplay is delightful. I do wish he'd add a little more pace in key areas - but that was probably his intention with Joao and Matias. Not his fault they've struggled to deliver. 

2 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

How much did the following teams spend;

Burton

Leeds

Cardiff

Birmingham

Brentford

Ipswich

We're not going to win every game but that is 14 points dropped when we should really have picked up many more. 

Can't argue with that. I am not disagreeing that we should be doing better but the money thing keeps being used and I don't think that's really fair because we have had to spend to catch up and the amount we have spent isn't that great compared to others.

4 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Where am I at...?

I think CC is a nice guy and probably a fantastic coach.  I think he is the sort of coach that players would love to work under.  

I don't think he is the type of manager we need to get promoted.  I think his team selection is bizarre and his tactical approach is even more bizarre.  I am not convinced about the recruitment in the last transfer window or two, although I acknowledge CC's input may have been limited in this.  

Overall I think CC will keep us in the top half without ever pressing on the top three or four teams.  We might, with a healthy amount of luck, sneak a top six place this season but I think it's looking unlikely.  We appear to be going backwards.  

Please oh please, can everybody read the part in bold over and over. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

how can you say that when we've achieved more under a few other managers, Francis for getting to two cup final, Sturrock and Jones for promotions. 

Francis inherited BigRon's team and lived on the back of it for a few seasons until his ego demolited it. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

13 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Francis inherited BigRon's team and lived on the back of it for a few seasons until his ego demolited it. 

Didn't we have 4 wembley trips, europe. and didn't he sign Waddle....yeah he really had no idea...and turned Warhurst into a...err decent player

Edited by sherlyegg