Tom Lees

If someone bids £10M he will be gone - no brainer really considering what we paid.  I just hope if he does go its for a decent amount - the days where we get our pants pulled down should be long gone.

DC is a businessman at the end of the day and that is a good return.

Would be reluctant to see him go but we could pick up two 2 x decent replacements for that, possibly 3.

We did get lucky unearthing him but that's not to say there aren't a few more around.

If he wanted to go and someone stumped up 10 odd million for him, then we'd have to accept it and allow him to move on. 

In saying that I'd much rather keep him, as the guys a class act at this level. 

The idea of us selling him to Derby or Fulham though is mildly amusing lol 

3 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

If someone bids £10M he will be gone - no brainer really considering what we paid.  I just hope if he does go its for a decent amount - the days where we get our pants pulled down should be long gone.

DC is a businessman at the end of the day and that is a good return.

Would be reluctant to see him go but we could pick up two 2 x decent replacements for that, possibly 3.

We did get lucky unearthing him but that's not to say there aren't a few more around.

Interested to know the 2/3 CB,s we could bring in for the fee we receive .

Burnley are about 50% short of the mark required. However, we need to be aware that should Lees make the trip over the Pennines, his value would increase by a further £5 million the moment he pulls on a Premiership shirt. Looking ahead, a further successful season would take him to the realms of having a £25 Million value on his head.

So where is the sense in selling now ? 

56 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Burnley are about 50% short of the mark required. However, we need to be aware that should Lees make the trip over the Pennines, his value would increase by a further £5 million the moment he pulls on a Premiership shirt. Looking ahead, a further successful season would take him to the realms of having a £25 Million value on his head.

So where is the sense in selling now ? 

If he did go, even for big money, I suspect DC would insist on a decent sell-on clause for this very reason.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

At least it looks like there's no low buy out clause, similar to Westwoods.

And with at least 2 Premership teams interested, if he wants to go a bidding war should kick off.

We also have to remember the last management team whose excellent work got Lees for virtually nothing.

Most irreplaceable player imo. It's crucial to have a solid, dependable CB, especially if you want to challenge for the top. For what we'd get for him, we wouldn't be able to replace him adequately. Any defender as good in this league would cost us 10-15m, and nobody as good or slightly better in the Prem would want to drop down a level.

1 hour ago, Adebisi said:

Most irreplaceable player imo. It's crucial to have a solid, dependable CB, especially if you want to challenge for the top. For what we'd get for him, we wouldn't be able to replace him adequately. Any defender as good in this league would cost us 10-15m, and nobody as good or slightly better in the Prem would want to drop down a level.

Well said mate. Absolutely spot on.

We seem to be having these debates every other week and the consensus seems to be "if we get a good offer it's a no brainer, they will want & have to be sold".

I don't get it. Put the selling price into context with the possible rewards for promotion and suddenly it doesn't seem so attractive.

If we sold all our crown jewels in the side & got 10 mill each. It still wouldn't equal the 90 million quoted as being the reward for promotion to the prem.

Think its about time people started to think a bit bigger and stop falling into the old syndrome of 'Decent offer, gotta take it'. Also the automatic assumption on here that Westwood would automatically jump ship for greener pastures in the prem was way off the mark and possibly the same with Lees.

"We're on our waaay, on our waaaay, to the premier league we're on our waaaay, how we get there i don't know".

Neither do i if we flog our best assets!!!!

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Juve are selling Pogba and Napoli just sold them a 35 goal striker - in Serie A!

Each deal on its merits.

Plus, if players want to go now, they will. You have to factor that in and use money well.

And Lees' mistake did lead to play -off goal. But I accept we would have lost that day anyway, unless penalties . 

52 minutes ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

Each deal on its merits.

100% agree, we should not say we aren't a selling club if the money is good, but - is £5m good?

Yes we got this guy on a free, but our gain is some tosspots loss.   I have no idea how Leeds let Lees go on a free, but they did - and we invested in him heavily by playing him consistently which proved he is easily - easily, a top 6 Championship centreback, but with potential still at his age to be more.

I don't think £5m cuts it.    I don't think he would be out of his depth in the Premiership for example, given the right players around him - and that said, why should we then take the bare minimum price for him?

Even more than that, why should Lees leave for a team where he is going to be cannon fodder, for a fee which does not do him justice, and when ultimately he will end up back where he is now?

If lets say, Newcastle came in with £5m half my argument would be gone, but it still wouldn't be the right deal.   Truth be known, there is currently no right deal that I see Lees leaving Wednesday in, because no one will pay £10m plus, and while I don't think hes worth that - it would cost us more than £5m to replace him, unless some prats were willing to give us another freebie of his calibre.

Edited by salmonbones

35 minutes ago, elvin parsnip said:

I would take 10 million with sell on clauses - and an extra 3 million if they stay up 

Why you are not going to see any off it . 

We are building a side not dismantling one 

4 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Well said mate. Absolutely spot on.

We seem to be having these debates every other week and the consensus seems to be "if we get a good offer it's a no brainer, they will want & have to be sold".

I don't get it. Put the selling price into context with the possible rewards for promotion and suddenly it doesn't seem so attractive.

If we sold all our crown jewels in the side & got 10 mill each. It still wouldn't equal the 90 million quoted as being the reward for promotion to the prem.

Think its about time people started to think a bit bigger and stop falling into the old syndrome of 'Decent offer, gotta take it'. Also the automatic assumption on here that Westwood would automatically jump ship for greener pastures in the prem was way off the mark and possibly the same with Lees.

"We're on our waaay, on our waaaay, to the premier league we're on our waaaay, how we get there i don't know".

Neither do i if we flog our best assets!!!!

No one wants to sell their key players.

But even Man U will decide they need to sell for a certain price, no one is immune. If you sell all your assets and don't invest then you get nowhere but if you get a ridiculously huge fee and split it on two or three key players you couldn't afford previously there is a chance it could work favourably. 

If it came down to it, I'd see FF as harder to replace than a centre half, as good as Lees is.