Crowd Praise

In fairness though, it'll mean nowt if 23k turn up to the first home game and act like they are in a library.

We have to turn up in bigger numbers, every week, and if we generate half the atmosphere we did at wembley, and Brighton before that, we've done our job.

Brighton at home should be the new bench mark we aim for.

Have to agree. The thought of going back to Hillsborough in August with most people not singing/the usual people moaning is depressing.

Have to agree. The thought of going back to Hillsborough in August with most people not singing/the usual people moaning is depressing.

I have a feeling that Hillsborough will a very different place come August (in a good way). That song (on our way) will become an anthem for an entire season. Edited by The Regulator

I'd be interested if anybody, TV or otherwise, made a comment about our fans staying behind at the end and even singing while they were lifting the trophy. I can't recall ever seeing/hearing that happen before.

Alan smith in guardian brilliant read

Wednesday fans have always been the same, this is nothing new. We are an entirely different breed, unique and will never be matched.

When we lost the FA Cup final in '66 our players were the first to do a lap of honour. The commentators mentioned it and the Wednesday fans stayed back then to show their support for the team.

The FA Cup final replay.... Wednesday supporters stayed to the end. When Arsenal went up for the trophy the boos from the Wednesday fans drowned out the celebrations. I seem to remember hearing that they had to switch to a different camera because the booing was embarrassing the Arsenal.

No other set of supporters would have shown the appreciation to the players like we did. (There may be one or two who copy us now, and you just know that Man U will be recognised as the first).

Plenty of archive footage readily available showing the exact opposite.

When they lost to City in the cup, they broke the world record in clearing an end, followed closely by the unwashed in any one of their numerous epic fails!!

I remember Arsenal getting booed, and Wembley did the same thing with deafening music when Hull went up to collect the cup, trying to drown out the Wednesdayites to save Hulls embarrassment.

I also remember the Everton fans moaning about our lap of honour in 66 because they thought we were stealing some of their limelight.  

I'd be interested if anybody, TV or otherwise, made a comment about our fans staying behind at the end and even singing while they were lifting the trophy. I can't recall ever seeing/hearing that happen before.

Yes the Sky commentator said he had been doing commentaries at Wembley for 10 years and never seen anything like that before 

Yep. The Wednesdayites that did stay put set the bar at a new level and set a new standard for support.

The ones who shot off (and ok maybe SOME had no choice), missed an iconic moment that they can never recover.

Give it a rest ffs.

If some people wanted to go so what?

Personally I couldn't get out if there quick enough I felt that sick.

If that makes me a lesser fan then so what, and I missed nothing iconic, each to there own

This is what Leeds fans don't understand and will never understand, they can think they're bigger than us but no way on this planet is their support as good as ours when we're at our best.

I've had contact with 2 Leeds fans since Saturday & both said our fans were absolutely awesome & the best they'd seen at Wembley.

Plenty of archive footage readily available showing the exact opposite.

When they lost to City in the cup, they broke the world record in clearing an end, followed closely by the unwashed in any one of their numerous epic fails!!

I remember Arsenal getting booed, and Wembley did the same thing with deafening music when Hull went up to collect the cup, trying to drown out the Wednesdayites to save Hulls embarrassment.

I also remember the Everton fans moaning about our lap of honour in 66 because they thought we were stealing some of their limelight.

I just remember the '91 cup final and singing "always look on the bright side of life"

I have a video recording of an old Monty Python documentary somewhere, where Gary Linekar is talking about Man U fans singing it at the 92 European Championships. They got the credit even though we had sung it the year before.

I thought this blog from Alan Smith in the Guardian summed our support up quite well.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/28/sheffield-wednesday-premier-league-carlos-carvalhal

Most gratifying. Not stinting in his praise, is he? And I like that "most storied teams in the land" phrase. Don't we all believe that this is true and a recognition of a special place we have in British football history? 

Is it time to stop bumming ourselves? :laugh:

We all need some counselling and to accept that we were the best set of fans seen at Wembley (everyone accepts this - even "Wembley") but that our performance was tantamount to a bunch of rabbits caught in car headlights.

Everyone apart from Westwood looked like they had been sat on the edge of their bed in the Wembley Hilton all night - rocking and staring at their Radio-clock, apart from those fifteen minutes at the start of the second half when Bullen must have stuck a rocket up their arses at half-time.

Edited by maidstoneowl

This is what happens when you get schoolboys writing about football. They don't know their history. Look at this by Oliver Brown from The Daily Telegraph ("Chief Sports Feature Writer" of the paper, apparently. God help them and him.) Anyone who remembers Hillsborough in the seventies must be having a chuckle at his ignorance: I don't think he can use Google very well! :laugh:

The travelling support, magnificent in willing a return to the halcyon days of the Seventies when even Pele played against them for Santos, looked in vain for a performance to match their incessant noise. 

Lots of us on here will remember both our "halcyon days of the seventies" :laugh:  and the friendly match that Santos played against us in 72 on a Tuesday afternoon during the power cuts. What a brainless gibbon Oliver Brown is.

Yep. The Wednesdayites that did stay put set the bar at a new level and set a new standard for support.

The ones who shot off (and ok maybe SOME had no choice), missed an iconic moment that they can never recover.

So youre having another dig at those who decided to leave on full time.

Tell us when you get off the high horse oh great one.

Guest Ash76

In fairness though, it'll mean nowt if 23k turn up to the first home game and act like they are in a library.

Agree, next season is where it matters now