Get the poles off the kop.

So now, this site is not just full of 'football'experts, it's full of Architectural Engineers!

This was discussed at the time we were talking about a complete transformation of the ground, but still retaining all it's special features. Reminds me of the trouble stirred up by EWTaylor when he wanted to knock down the th0ne Old Stand, and put a cantilever in its place. He was accused of tinkering, told that his dream was 'pie-in-the-sky' and a load of cobblers.

To replace the cover over the Kop, would not be just a matter of cutting out the supports, and , as at a lot of grounds, would mean a closure of the area for some period of time, not necessarily a long time, but Wednesdayites are not particularly noted for their patience.

Having said that, it could be done and would be an improvement, but perhaps the Kop could be levelled at the top first. It's rarely more than 3/4 full anyway.

So now, this site is not just full of 'football'experts, it's full of Architectural Engineers!This was discussed at the time we were talking about a complete transformation of the ground, but still retaining all it's special features. Reminds me of the trouble stirred up by EWTaylor when he wanted to knock down the th0ne Old Stand, and put a cantilever in its place. He was accused of tinkering, told that his dream was 'pie-in-the-sky' and a load of cobblers.To replace the cover over the Kop, would not be just a matter of cutting out the supports, and , as at a lot of grounds, would mean a closure of the area for some period of time, not necessarily a long time, but Wednesdayites are not particularly noted for their patience.Having said that, it could be done and would be an improvement, but perhaps the Kop could be levelled at the top first. It's rarely more than 3/4 full anyway.

so you've just done what everyone else has, given your professional architectural opinion.

So now, this site is not just full of 'football'experts, it's full of Architectural Engineers!

This was discussed at the time we were talking about a complete transformation of the ground, but still retaining all it's special features. Reminds me of the trouble stirred up by EWTaylor when he wanted to knock down the th0ne Old Stand, and put a cantilever in its place. He was accused of tinkering, told that his dream was 'pie-in-the-sky' and a load of cobblers.

To replace the cover over the Kop, would not be just a matter of cutting out the supports, and , as at a lot of grounds, would mean a closure of the area for some period of time, not necessarily a long time, but Wednesdayites are not particularly noted for their patience.

Having said that, it could be done and would be an improvement, but perhaps the Kop could be levelled at the top first. It's rarely more than 3/4 full anyway.

Talking of Eric Taylor so that his input to the stadium development especially the North Stand a unique feature was incorporated.  As you all know the exits aren't marked in alphabetical order, if you look at the two in line with the halfway line they are marked E T in his honour.  I never realized it until a member of his family pointed it out to me.

post-585-0-37937800-1458314387_thumb.jpg

Sorry mate but codswallop.

You could build a superb new stand on the site of the existing Kop without having to alter the footprint in any way that would affect the road. Clear the existing Kop down to ground level then start again, two tiered stand seating c 15-18k with modern concourses facilities etc.

First however deal with the Lane end. That can be redeveloped in similar fashion (although maybe a little smaller 12-15k) without affecting capacity too much. We're pretty much restricted to a max of 5k on there at present so send the dozers in at the end of the season clear the lot and start again. By carefully staging the construction you could probably have it all completed within 12 months and maybe even get part of it open by Christmas.

Then you can start on the Kop without dropping capacity below 35k.

I'm sure that Mr Chansiri will appreciate me spending 50m+ just like that!

P.S. i'm half Polish and I reserve the right to go on the Kop any bloody time I please! lol

Agree totally. Lepps has to be flattened first and capacity increased. Year after do the same to the kop. We have to be careful how we do this as many grounds by redeveloping have killed there atmospheres. Man U, Arsenal, Newcastle whilst being large grounds have practically lost their once proud atmospheres by building stands too high and open. Wembley is another example compared to what it used to be like before redeveloping.

Sorry mate but codswallop.

You could build a superb new stand on the site of the existing Kop without having to alter the footprint in any way that would affect the road. Clear the existing Kop down to ground level then start again, two tiered stand seating c 15-18k with modern concourses facilities etc.

First however deal with the Lane end. That can be redeveloped in similar fashion (although maybe a little smaller 12-15k) without affecting capacity too much. We're pretty much restricted to a max of 5k on there at present so send the dozers in at the end of the season clear the lot and start again. By carefully staging the construction you could probably have it all completed within 12 months and maybe even get part of it open by Christmas.

Then you can start on the Kop without dropping capacity below 35k.

I'm sure that Mr Chansiri will appreciate me spending 50m+ just like that!

P.S. i'm half Polish and I reserve the right to go on the Kop any bloody time I please! lol

Utahowski 😂

Talking of Eric Taylor so that his input to the stadium development especially the North Stand a unique feature was incorporated.  As you all know the exits aren't marked in alphabetical order, if you look at the two in line with the halfway line they are marked E T in his honour.  I never realized it until a member of his family pointed it out to me.

attachicon.gifNorth Stand.jpg

Don't think that is true.

Just looked at a close up of the North stand.

Top row exits labelled T S R Q towards Kop (alphabetical order but back to front)

Bottom row marked A B C D E from Leppings Lane.

Looks like a coincidence that the E and T are near each other.  Surely E would be at the top if it was intentioned.

Don't think that is true.

Just looked at a close up of the North stand.

Top row exits labelled T S R Q towards Kop (alphabetical order but back to front)

Bottom row marked A B C D E from Leppings Lane.

Looks like a coincidence that the E and T are near each other.  Surely E would be at the top if it was intentioned.

True story....used to work under a bloke called Eddie Tasker, and his wife rang one day a left a message for him to call her back. My pal (Rotherham fan but otherwise great fella) wrote on whiteboard "ET phone home".

Lots of structural engineers on Owls Talk.

My firm designed and supplied the steel structure of over 40 stadia, from Montrose to Chelsea, Huddersfield to Hull.

The reason some clubs built with stanchions is because it makes the overall project MASSIVELY cheaper. Not just a small difference compared to a cantilever or a "goalpost truss" but hugely cheaper. Clubs accept that it is a massively inferior end product....who in their right mind would have stanchions obscuring fan views if they had a choice, but for some clubs they took the short term view, or it was out of their league to build a costly cantilever.

Once you have a stand with internal stanchions the cost to remove them is rediculous. It is virtually, but not quite, starting again.

They are awful things and we fans hate them. But if anyone thinks there is a quick and cheap fix, sadly, there is not.

My firm designed and supplied the steel structure of over 40 stadia, from Montrose to Chelsea, Huddersfield to Hull.

The reason some clubs built with stanchions is because it makes the overall project MASSIVELY cheaper. Not just a small difference compared to a cantilever or a "goalpost truss" but hugely cheaper. Clubs accept that it is a massively inferior end product....who in their right mind would have stanchions obscuring fan views if they had a choice, but for some clubs they took the short term view, or it was out of their league to build a costly cantilever.

Once you have a stand with internal stanchions the cost to remove them is rediculous. It is virtually, but not quite, starting again.

They are awful things and we fans hate them. But if anyone thinks there is a quick and cheap fix, sadly, there is not.

I'm sorry but if I wanted to hear the expert opinion of someone in the know I'd have gone on poletalk. As it is I'd prefer to hear from the inexperienced opinion of over opinionated football fans talking about something they have no real idea about so if you wouldn't mind please do shhh