Ron Atkinson on League Cup '91

Thanks BFR. Best day ever as a Wednesday fan, nothing beats winning a Cup Final at Wembley, not even thrashing Dem Blavges. I will take the memories of that day with me to the grave together with that immortal sound.

DINK!

I seem to remember seeing him and his brother, Graeme, both playing for Oxford. Not sure if they were still playing for them, when we played them in the 70's though

Yes remember the commentary on the radio when Oxford then 3rd division I think knocking top flight Blackburn out if he cup; 3-1 from memory but could be wrong. About '64 or '65.

You know what I was gutted but never got why people didn't like him for leaving although I think it was only the backtracking after he changed his mind that got people angry. I still say he wanted to stay but his wife wouldn't have it. Rumours maybe but he wasn't allowed to stay allegedly

Villa doubled his salary. We should have matched it if we wanted to keep him.

Think he excuse for going to Villa was it was nearer where he lived and the travel to Hillsborough was wearing him out.

Thought when he came back for the second time why the distance didn't seem to put him off.

That's a minor point though as when Big Ron took over he did add a bit of Showbiz on and off the pitch to Sheffield Wednesday something looking back we always lacked in my time supporting them.

Believe we are on an upward curve at the moment but don't think anything will beat seeing us beat Manchester United in a cup final at Wembley when I was 15.

Edited by matthefish2002

Reading through this thread has opened all sorts of old wounds.

Anyone who knows the story having lived through the "ronnocoaster" times will be in agreement with me that he was amongst the top 3 managers we have had since the war. But morally he could get under a snakes belly with top hat on.

The scenes of the team on the town hall balcony and the openbustop tour from S6 will long always be very poinient to me , however what happened over the next few days was nothing short of horrible, took all the gloss off the fact that we had won the cup. Personally I felt worse than when we lost the cup in 66.

If I were to bump into him sometime he would still get a piece of my mind and he would no doubt have a go back, would look like  two grandad Simpsons haveing a set too :biggrin::ph34r::blush: :blush:

Reading through this thread has opened all sorts of old wounds.

Anyone who knows the story having lived through the "ronnocoaster" times will be in agreement with me that he was amongst the top 3 managers we have had since the war. But morally he could get under a snakes belly with top hat on.

The scenes of the team on the town hall balcony and the openbustop tour from S6 will long always be very poinient to me , however what happened over the next few days was nothing short of horrible, took all the gloss off the fact that we had won the cup. Personally I felt worse than when we lost the cup in 66.

If I were to bump into him sometime he would still get a piece of my mind and he would no doubt have a go back, would look like two grandad Simpsons haveing a set too :biggrin::ph34r::blush: :blush:

Why would a snake's belly have a top hat on?

Massive shame we couldn't beat Arsenal in the League Cup Final and FA Cup Final in 93 with Trev :(

So many ifs and maybes, but I'm convinced we would have Won the League in 92 had he stayed, or IF Trev had actually signed Cantona instead of farting about! If we had Cantona I'm pretty sure we'd of won one of the Cup Finals in 93 too. Who knows, but had we won any of them I am pretty certain our decline would never of happened.

However, with Chansiri at the Throne and Carlos at the Helm we will most certainly be back, exciting times, things to look forward to!

Edited by ohgoditsjames

Massive shame we couldn't beat Arsenal in the League Cup Final and FA Cup Final in 93 with Trev :(

So many ifs and maybes, but I'm convinced we would have Won the League in 92 had he stayed, or IF Trev had actually signed Cantona instead of farting about! If we had Cantona I'm pretty sure we'd of won one of the Cup Finals in 93 too. Who knows, but had we won any of them I am pretty certain our decline would never of happened.

However, with Chansiri at the Throne and Carlos at the Helm we will most certainly be back, exciting times, things to look forward to!

So many ifs and buts - though never had any confidence in Francis and still believe BR would have squeezed the necessary extra 10% out of the squad needed to get us over the line in either of the Cups or the League.

Huge opportunity missed but that's football

Outside the League Cup semi final and Final of that year My most memorable games under BR's reign

• 5-1 thumping of Hull City first game of the season
  • 2-1 last min win at WBA
  • 4-2 Win at Leicester
  • 3-1 away win at West Ham
  • 3-1 win at home Bristol City last home match of season.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin::tango:lol