Chris Bart Williams

I couldn't understand how a lad who couldn't get in the Coventry team got in our first 11 & was eventually made captain. It was hardly a statement of intent signing after losing Pearson, Anderson & Warhurst, I know we signed Walker but think he deserved a bit more help than either Atherton or Pearce.

As for the noughties I've just tried to erase them from my memory. Rubbish football, rubbish players, rubbish kits, rubbish managers & rubbish directors.

Honestly Im probably on my own here but I didnt mind Andy Pearce, felt he complimented walker fairly well, big bruising centre half who was decent in the air to compliment the pace and finesse and ability to read a game that Des had

I liked the boy.  Got that bit of potential. 

I do remember thinking that he was lacking a bit of pace.

Quality on the ball though. 

I think he'd do even better in the modern game where there seems to be a real penchant for playing 5 in midfield.

I think he'd have be absolutely suited to one of the roles in front of defence receiving the ball out from the back. 

Born in the wrong decade. - but the same could be said of many players I suppose. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

seem to remember last game of season at home to Southampton,

TEN FULL internationals who played for us was sat in the southstand in their suits, watching while we won about 5-2,

seem to remember bartman getting either 2 or 3 goals in that game, he was high class, like he stepped up cos all the best players weren't playing. 

similar to MuGugan in many ways, though due to the team we had he never had the chance from dead ball situations like MuGugan often does.

we could have had Bart Williams and Ian Taylor playing centre midfield in the mid to late 90s and instead ended up with Graham Hyde and several honest triers who were simply not good enough.  The former duo played for several more years in the Premiership, the latter faded into the lower leagues in line with their ability.  Another staggering example of Trevor Francis's total mismanagement at the time.

we could have had Bart Williams and Ian Taylor playing centre midfield in the mid to late 90s and instead ended up with Graham Hyde and several honest triers who were simply not good enough.  The former duo played for several more years in the Premiership, the latter faded into the lower leagues in line with their ability.  Another staggering example of Trevor Francis's total mismanagement at the time.

bit harsh on Graham Hyde, under-rated player, another one that would walk into todays side,

scotty Parker reminds me of Graham Hyde in many ways.

Edited by GY-owl.4
  • Like 2

Chris Bart Williams upset me.   Ruined his career by moving away from Wednesday, and you can't say that very often about our old players.

Maybe he suffered from having too many class players around him and having to play too much of a bit part at times, but yes - he was class.

The joke at the time I think was Viv Anderson asked to see his birth certificate because he could not believe a 17 year old could play like he did.   I may have got the old pro wrong, and the quote wrong but it was something like that.

When he signed for Forest though, he was played much deeper - even at times a ball playing centre half - which when I heard that I said WTF that's not him.....Then a sweeper - he was ruined by the same manager who brought him to the fore at Leyton Orient.   

Wikipedia will tell you he was a Midfielder or Defender,  Frank Clark will say he was a defensive midfielder, a defender or a sweeper.

I will tell you, he was one of the most unfullfilled attacking midfielders I have ever seen - he should have won a few dozen caps or more but was let down badly, first by how little we tried to mould a team around him when we had an ageing side, but most definitely by Frank Clark.

Wasted.

Trevor Francis said: "If Andy Cole is worth 6 million, Chris Bart Williams is worth 6 million". But he was sold for about a third of that. It was the Wednesday way.

He wasn't sold, it had to go to tribunal.

bit harsh on Graham Hyde, under-rated player, another one that would walk into todays side,

scotty Parker reminds me of Graham Hyde in many ways.

Nowt wrong with Hyde, I was told by my dad - he's another Danny Wilson - after watching him a dozen times I told my dad Hyde was better.

• Like 1