Chris Bart Williams

On 20/06/2015 at 17:08, Big Rons Hairspray said:

I couldn't understand how a lad who couldn't get in the Coventry team got in our first 11 & was eventually made captain. It was hardly a statement of intent signing after losing Pearson, Anderson & Warhurst, I know we signed Walker but think he deserved a bit more help than either Atherton or Pearce.

As for the noughties I've just tried to erase them from my memory. Rubbish football, rubbish players, rubbish kits, rubbish managers & rubbish directors.

Atherton played pretty much every game for Coventry. I wasn’t a big fan. 

As for Bartman, I thought he was a player of huge potential. Gutted when he left. His contract was out, unfortunately, and while Pleat offered him a new deal, Bart-Williams chose Forest. 

A tribunal sat the fee to 2,5 million. Not bad back then. 

Edited by Shezza
  • Like 1

Very good player - could have done with a bit more pace.

Should never have been sold - certainly at the price we got.

in the game where newcastle did us in the last minute in 94 - where we battered em throughout - i remember the MOTD team doing a feature on him in the highlights which showed what a talent he was.

wasted at forest.

47 minutes ago, Shezza said:

As for Bartman, I thought he was a player of huge potential. Gutted when he left. His contract was out, unfortunately, and while Pleat offered him a new deal, Bart-Williams chose Forest. 

Peter Atherton was shocking.

loved Bart man 

• Love 1

Guest hirstysfags
1 hour ago, Shezza said:

Before Bosman?

Edited by hirstysfags
Spelling

1 hour ago, Shezza said:

Yeh pretty sure Atherton had just got their player of the year when we signed him

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Peter Atherton was shocking.

loved Bart man 

Atherton wasnt shocking, just not the step up we hoped for. Played far too many top flight games not to have talent, steady eddie athers

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, unkastav said:

Atherton wasnt shocking, just not the step up we hoped for. Played far too many top flight games not to have talent, steady eddie athers

Athertons reputation suffers because he was brought in to replace Nilsson who was a really classy international defender where as Atherton was a bread & butter player.

Nearest player we have had in recent years to him is Semedo who is worshipped by some fans but Atherton was a much better player.

I liked him, could fill in in the middle on the right or up top with Bright when Warhurst left, had good ability on the ball and could find the net too, could change a game too some days although they were few and far between, the Man City goal (which he wasn’t credited with) was excellent

1 hour ago, unkastav said:

Disagree get was a level too high and we stuck with players like him rather than progressing. Used to call him club foot 

1 hour ago, unkastav said:

don’t know how thread got onto atherton but he certainly wasn’t shocking.

very consistent and ended up getting used in a different role as a defensive midfielder where he did a good job.

he was no wednesday great but certainly owes us nowt. 

his performance away at anfield when we won was superb.

My missus never rated Chris...we went on a corporate freebie at Forest...I asked her to count the number of times he gave the ball away during the match...she was gobsmacked THREE mislaid passes during the match...that was it. Top player

• Thanks 2

Guest Therealrealist
23 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

My missus never rated Chris...we went on a corporate freebie at Forest...I asked her to count the number of times he gave the ball away during the match...she was gobsmacked THREE mislaid passes during the match...that was it. Top player

Most overrated stat in football..you could go thru a full game passing to your mate at the side of you..taking the easy safe option instead of tryin to play the killer pass that might get your team a goal...and end up with pass completion of about 95%

10 hours ago, ka58 said:

Barry Horne 

Horne was a reight player when he was younger, just old by the time he got to us. Atherton was a useful utility player but no more than that, really. Agree with previous posters that the first sign of a serious loss of ambition was replacing Pearson with Andy Pearce... and a few years later, signings like Sonner made it feel like we were preparing for the second flight...

PS Loved Bartman, of course. Lovely little player and what's not to like about signing a youngster for £275k and getting £2.5m for him a few years later. It's the opposite of ChansiriBall...