THE NEW TRIUMVIRATE

THE NEW TRIUMVIRATE :

The first Triumvirate didn't end particularly well. A sharing of power between three individuals at the heart of the Roman Empire some 2000 years ago between Crassus, Pompey and Caesar. It resulted in one being defeated in battle, the other one being beheaded and a certain Mr Julius Caesar taking the glory all for himself. This lesson from history indicates that power sharing normally doesn't work, but here the stakes were high and lives, riches and power were at stake and lives were lost. However, though some similarities persist, we are talking about football and the announcement made yesterday at Hillsborough.

My initial reaction was that i half expected it. A person to come in and run the club from a business perspective, another person to oversea scouting and recruitment and the other to focus on first team affairs, ie coaching, team selection etc. We now know that it will be Adam Pearson who will oversea the clubs business affairs, Glenn Roeder who will concentrate on scouting and player recruitment and Gray who continue in his role as first team coach. This is a slight departure from what has gone before and the model is essentially a new one in terms of three men being part of a "committee" to oversea all aspects of running a football club.

So all seems fine and dandy then and fans can look forward to a summer of "spend spend spend" as the late Viv Nicholson once famously said. I agree in principle to the project and think that it will have some good plus points, but my worry is the lines of distinction between the roles will become blurred, especially between Roeder's role and that of Gray's. I can see Mr Chansiri spending a fair amount of money in the summer, especially with a large number of players out of contract in the summer and 75% not really being good enough for the era which is about to unfold, However, i don't think he will spend excessively, but enough to pay out transfer fees and wages for players who are good enough to get the club promoted.

My concern comes from whether or not Gray will have free reign on who he brings into the club or whether Roeder or Pearson for that matter can over ride him. Yesterday's talk was of " where i lack in an specific area, the other guy can contribute and vice versa " was the general jist i got, though i para phrase what was said. Can this really work ? Roeder questioning Gray's targets or dismissing them and then putting forward his own ? Does Pearson really know about players even though he has been a chairmen of two clubs ? Or are they there to advise and give an opinion ? From the conference it wasn't really clear how all that would pan work out. I think there needs to be clear demarcation lines between the three men.

Pearson's role is vital and needed especially as Aldridge will now be leaving the club. His role as financial minder to Chansiri is understandable given the geographical difficulties of Chansiri living in another country. However, he needs to stick to that role and that is what i would also advocate with regards to Roeder and Gray. Let Gray give the chairman a list of players and then Roeder can go out and get them, whilst Pearson does all the maths, business and legal issues. I can see the benefit of Roeder going on scouting duties and coming up with his own players and also of him advsing Gray on players, team shape, tactics etc, but it has to be in an advisory role which does not put Roeder in the position where he can undermine Gray.

Yesterday's press conference sounded to me as if the lines between all three would inter relate and become slightly blurred and that no one person would have the final say on which players would be bought. The only thing that seemed sacrosanct was that Gray would be in charge of first team affairs and that included team shape, tactics and picking the side. I think that Roeder could have something to offer in an advisory capacity in terms of choosing players and first team tactics etc, but that in my opinion shouldn't over spill into being able to over ride Gray and i am not too sure that this matter was gone into in any depth yesterday. Rather it seemed as if they would work it out as the went along.

I hope that no-one ends up beheaded as was the case with Pompey i believe, but some strong ground rules and demarcation lines need to be drawn up if this modern day triumvirate is to work successfully.

Thoughts ?

Edited by Mick De Lyons

You start your assessment from an implied position of conflict rather than partnership between the three. They're professionals and will be expected to do what's best for the club.

You mention 'Gray will have free reign on who he brings into the club or whether Roeder or Pearson for that matter can over ride him'. isn't this what happens now with Aldridge or Mr C and MM before him?

You start your assessment from an implied position of conflict rather than partnership between the three. They're professionals and will be expected to do what's best for the club.

You mention 'Gray will have free reign on who he brings into the club or whether Roeder or Pearson for that matter can over ride him'. isn't this what happens now with Aldridge or Mr C and MM before him?

Exactly. We've been crying out for a proper management structure at this club for years.

First there was Allen who destroyed everything, getting rid of scouts and dismantling the youth set up. Then we were skint and were barely keeping our heads above water.

Then MM came along and sorted a lot of the crap out, before he started the long search for a buyer.

Now we've got a new man in charge willing to spend money and do things properly. Starting with the management team. We all agreed that we needed a DoF. But with the Chairman having limited knowledge of football it makes complete sense to appoint Pearson as well. If Roeder and Pearson were appointed at different times I don't think so many people would be getting their knickers in a twist about it.

I'm sure Mourinho has a whole team of advisors aiding him, many more than 3.

This sounds a good set up to me. The Club was run unprofessionally for years, hence the decline for so long.  At last we've got a structure.  Comments on here were about SG perhaps not having the contacts/clout to attract the type of players we need.  Well at last we at least look like a professional outfit that intends to go places and that by itself will attract.

However it works the good news is that we appear not to have some crackpot like Tan in charge or some mug like Fawaz who's minted without the first clue on how to run a football club. All of this committee may not be the ones to see it through but he clearly has some idea of what is required.

THE NEW TRIUMVIRATE :

The first Triumvirate didn't end particularly well. A sharing of power between three individuals at the heart of the Roman Empire some 2000 years ago between Crassus, Pompey and Caesar. It resulted in one being defeated in battle, the other one being beheaded and a certain Mr Julius Caesar taking the glory all for himself. This lesson from history indicates that power sharing normally doesn't work, but here the stakes were high and lives, riches and power were at stake and lives were lost. However, though some similarities persist, we are talking about football and the announcement made yesterday at Hillsborough.

My initial reaction was that i half expected it. A person to come in and run the club from a business perspective, another person to oversea scouting and recruitment and the other to focus on first team affairs, ie coaching, team selection etc. We now know that it will be Adam Pearson who will oversea the clubs business affairs, Glenn Roeder who will concentrate on scouting and player recruitment and Gray who continue in his role as first team coach. This is a slight departure from what has gone before and the model is essentially a new one in terms of three men being part of a "committee" to oversea all aspects of running a football club.

So all seems fine and dandy then and fans can look forward to a summer of "spend spend spend" as the late Viv Nicholson once famously said. I agree in principle to the project and think that it will have some good plus points, but my worry is the lines of distinction between the roles will become blurred, especially between Roeder's role and that of Gray's. I can see Mr Chansiri spending a fair amount of money in the summer, especially with a large number of players out of contract in the summer and 75% not really being good enough for the era which is about to unfold, However, i don't think he will spend excessively, but enough to pay out transfer fees and wages for players who are good enough to get the club promoted.

My concern comes from whether or not Gray will have free reign on who he brings into the club or whether Roeder or Pearson for that matter can over ride him. Yesterday's talk was of " where i lack in an specific area, the other guy can contribute and vice versa " was the general jist i got, though i para phrase what was said. Can this really work ? Roeder questioning Gray's targets or dismissing them and then putting forward his own ? Does Pearson really know about players even though he has been a chairmen of two clubs ? Or are they there to advise and give an opinion ? From the conference it wasn't really clear how all that would pan work out. I think there needs to be clear demarcation lines between the three men.

Pearson's role is vital and needed especially as Aldridge will now be leaving the club. His role as financial minder to Chansiri is understandable given the geographical difficulties of Chansiri living in another country. However, he needs to stick to that role and that is what i would also advocate with regards to Roeder and Gray. Let Gray give the chairman a list of players and then Roeder can go out and get them, whilst Pearson does all the maths, business and legal issues. I can see the benefit of Roeder going on scouting duties and coming up with his own players and also of him advsing Gray on players, team shape, tactics etc, but it has to be in an advisory role which does not put Roeder in the position where he can undermine Gray.

Yesterday's press conference sounded to me as if the lines between all three would inter relate and become slightly blurred and that no one person would have the final say on which players would be bought. The only thing that seemed sacrosanct was that Gray would be in charge of first team affairs and that included team shape, tactics and picking the side. I think that Roeder could have something to offer in an advisory capacity in terms of choosing players and first team tactics etc, but that in my opinion shouldn't over spill into being able to over ride Gray and i am not too sure that this matter was gone into in any depth yesterday. Rather it seemed as if they would work it out as the went along.

I hope that no-one ends up beheaded as was the case with Pompey i believe, but some strong ground rules and demarcation lines need to be drawn up if this modern day triumvirate is to work successfully.

Thoughts ?

Stalin,Chuchill .Roosevelt 3 complete opposites worked together got a result .IT CAN WORK.

Spot on! Will not be liked by the gingerists on here tho!

As Blue and White said.  Roeder is a mate of  gary megson

And Pearson wanted him as manager at Derby and Hull.

This will not please you, but it is the order of things in the universe.

Ginger is the future, the future is  gary megson

Edited by Simaniac Owl

Guest totemowl

There won't only be 3 looking after football operations.

Pearson isn't replacing Aldridge, but Aldridge will need to be replaced.

Usual OP finding problems before they exist.

Oh, and only ginger buffoons could make something of links between Megson and the others.

Edited by totemowl

What I do like is that we have got an owner who isn't deluded enough to think he can come to a foreign country and run a business he's never been involved in before on his own.Plenty of people have thought the opposite most have been proved spectacularly wrong.Well done D.C. may your journey be both serene and successful.

THE NEW TRIUMVIRATE :

Thoughts ?

post-13648-0-89667800-1429649588.jpg