Michail Antonio NFFC Player Of The Season 2014-15

Maghoma, quite simply, is not a Championship player, never will be a Championship player and we should look to move him on as soon as possible. Followed very quicky by Helan if he doesn't start bucking his ideas up.

As for Antonio, well done to him, but I really do not care. He isn't our player so I am not bothered that he is their POTS. It doesn't really concern us does it?

the discussion is how we've missed him & haven't come close to replacing him.

we have NO players in our squad that gets you on the edge of your seat. someone who can make something happen out of nothing. we lost that when Antonio & JJ left.

our players are programmed like robots,told to do a specific job with no freedom. the primary concern is to keep it tight.

it's worked to an extent (decent finish in league & plenty if clean sheets) but my word is it dull.

it's a fine line & we need to find the right balance. We've sacrificed certain aspects of our game in order to do this.

if we want free flowing,entertaining & attacking football (without going gung ho) it needs adressing.

we have NO players in our squad that gets you on the edge of your seat. someone who can make something happen out of nothing. we lost that when Antonio & JJ left.

our players are programmed like robots,told to do a specific job with no freedom. the primary concern is to keep it tight.

it's worked to an extent (decent finish in league & plenty if clean sheets) but my word is it dull.

it's a fine line & we need to find the right balance. We've sacrificed certain aspects of our game in order to do this.

if we want free flowing,entertaining & attacking football (without going gung ho) it needs adressing.

I wasnt bothered that Antonio left. On his day was brilliant but when he wasnt they might as well have asked me to play but you summary of our play is correct and its been one of the most boring seasons certainly at home anyway.

I would suggest our budget played a large part in how we currently play - it is cheaper to build a solid, defensive set up than it is to play like Bournemouth.

Hopefully, with investment in the team likely to increase substantially, we will be able to get a better balance for next season.

Far better than anything we have at present

This in a nutshell.

His assists , goals and ability to do something out of the ordinary in a tight game far outweigh his frustrating inconsistencies and occasional stinkers.

I would have him back in a heartbeat , and i daresay most of those being critical of him would as well if they were being truthful.

Fact is  i dont think SG liked him , but how many times this season during all those boring stalemates have we longed to have a player of his type to make the difference ?

If anyone thinks we have a player as good as Antonio in our squad, the they are deluded.

I admit his lack of consistency could be infuriating, but that's because we know how effective he could be. At his best he was unplayable for most opposition defences. JJ was the same to a lesser ability.

One of the problems with our fanbase is that we take endeavour over ability. Antonio gave us much more than a player that charges around the pitch like a headless chicken.

If have had him over signing May.

I'd have had him over signing May.

Maybe but if reports are accurate that we got between £1.5 - £1.8m (various claims and the club aren't telling) and May cost £800k then it seems reasonable to suppose that we needed money in over and above the May fee.

Clearly May does however need to step up considerably next season though.

This in a nutshell.

His assists , goals and ability to do something out of the ordinary in a tight game far outweigh his frustrating inconsistencies and occasional stinkers.

I would have him back in a heartbeat , and i daresay most of those being critical of him would as well if they were being truthful.

Fact is i dont think SG liked him , but how many times this season during all those boring stalemates have we longed to have a player of his type to make the difference ?

This 100%

But it'll be right, we've got Maghoma 😅

If anyone thinks we have a player as good as Antonio in our squad, the they are deluded.

I admit his lack of consistency could be infuriating, but that's because we know how effective he could be. At his best he was unplayable for most opposition defences. JJ was the same to a lesser ability.

One of the problems with our fanbase is that we take endeavour over ability. Antonio gave us much more than a player that charges around the pitch like a headless chicken.

Exactly

I wouldn’t underestimate the hard work and how well organised Gray has got his team. It's something I love about Grays team. However, if within that framework  there is room for one player like Antonio it can sometimes make the difference between being mid-table and one pushing for play offs.

Swap Antonio for say Maghoma (not having a go at him just nearest like for like) with us and Forest and you will see Forest below our current position and us above theirs. That should tell you everything.

The decision to sell Antonio wasn't a problem in itself, the problems were;

1. Completely failing to replace him. People can moan about our strikers all they like, but the one area we have been so woefully bereft of any quality this season is out on the flanks.

2. The decision to sell him for £1.5million. In an era when Assombalonga commands an £8m fee, Callum Wilson goes for £3m, Zaha goes for £15m, McCormack goes for £11m (etc), to sell a talented 23 year old - who was absolutely sensational for us in our first season, and whose second season was disrupted through injury (making people forget how good he was for us) - to sell him for the insulting sum of £1.5m when he had two years remaining on his contract, showed absolutely shocking business sense.

The decision to sell Antonio wasn't a problem in itself, the problems were;

1. Completely failing to replace him. People can moan about our strikers all they like, but the one area we have been so woefully bereft of any quality this season is out on the flanks.

2. The decision to sell him for £1.5million. In an era when Assombalonga commands an £8m fee, Callum Wilson goes for £3m, Zaha goes for £15m, McCormack goes for £11m (etc), to sell a talented 23 year old - who was absolutely sensational for us in our first season, and whose second season was disrupted through injury (making people forget how good he was for us) - to sell him for the insulting sum of £1.5m when he had two years remaining on his contract, showed absolutely shocking business sense.

This is my biggest issue. Whilst, at the time, it was a massive fee for us....we've still had our pants down.

However we don't know what sort of add ons we've got in the deal. On the other hand...knowing the way we do business, we might not have any add ons.

This is my biggest issue. Whilst, at the time, it was a massive fee for us....we've still had our pants down.

However we don't know what sort of add ons we've got in the deal. On the other hand...knowing the way we do business, we might not have any add ons.

Considering how much Forest had just spent on a League One striker who had never had any experience at this level the way we rolled over and accepted the offer on the table was poor.

Spot on, it's worked well in terms of our defensive record but surely we could afford to have a maverick, someone with something a bit unpredictable in the team. Playing him out wide would have left us more open but given how effective our strikers haven't been I think he could have been effective playing in a loose role off a front man.

We are crying out for something a bit different to open teams up.

His performance against Charlton at the end of last season was bordering on disgraceful but as has been mentioned Gray speaking out against him publically can't have helped and was very uncharacteristic of Gray.