Don't delay go to the doctors

There is a history of bowel cancer in my family. It has taken my mother and a few uncles. One cousin has developed it and has been clear for a while thankfully. For this reason I have been screened regularly before any symptoms. I have IBD and these symptoms were somewhat a worry until diagnosed. I have also had a gene test and do not carry the gene that has predisposed so many of my mother's family to bowel cancer. This is good news but I still have as much chance as the rest of the nation.

Stay strong and bear in mind that it is one of the most treatable of cancers

Edited by OxonOwl

Guest mkowl

Good luck with it, my mother in law had to fight with her doctor to get checked out and she was right. That was several years ago and she made a good recovery. My missus and the rest of her family have to be screened, indeed hers was about a month ago and all clear. She weren't happy with me texting a picture of me and the kids out having lunch when she was at home doing her prep and sh1tting for England

Very much a head in the sand merchant myself

Thanks everyone for the positive messages. Its been a tough at time but I have a two young boys and I'm determined to be around for them.

Just wanted raise a little awareness not just of cancer but any niggling compliant owlstalkers may have. Speaking to a lot of the older guys at the hospital and it was amazing to hear how long they had left it before going to the doctor, even keeping things from family.

My doc thought it was internal piles but he was good enough to refer me, some docs might not be as good so always get a second opinion if not sure.

Thankfully my cancer is stage 2 possibly 3 (they wont know until its removed) the consultant said I've probably had it for 6 years but in a few more years it would have got to 4 or worse.

Hi fellow Wednesday fans.

A bit off topic but thought I would share.

I've just finished 25 sessions of chemo/ radiotherapy and at 35 I'd never thought that I would be diagnosed with bowel cancer. Thankfully following my one and only bleed I went to see the doctor and he referred me.

If anyone out there is delaying going to see the doc, or embarrassed don't be. Go see the doctor and hopefully you will have a chance a beating the big C.

That's great news mate but as blog it's got nowt on NIgels

One a personal note, my mums been suffering with leukaemia for the last 2 years. So I know how hard chemo can be. She's had 2 rounds of it and two transplants. That's stuff is nasty and can really kick your ass.

Keep at it buddy, stay positive and keep fighting it.

Fella's. Don't be afraid to go to the docs either about your balls. I had a lump on one. Was pooing my sen for ages. Plucked up the courage, went to NGh a few weeks later after referral. Had a scan. Just a cyst. But as the Op states, get these things checked out.

Nobody wants to lose a fellow Owl because of pride.

Cheers Op glad your getting sorted.

Edited by WayneTheOwl

Thanks everyone for the positive messages. Its been a tough at time but I have a two young boys and I'm determined to be around for them.

Just wanted raise a little awareness not just of cancer but any niggling compliant owlstalkers may have. Speaking to a lot of the older guys at the hospital and it was amazing to hear how long they had left it before going to the doctor, even keeping things from family.

My doc thought it was internal piles but he was good enough to refer me, some docs might not be as good so always get a second opinion if not sure.

Thankfully my cancer is stage 2 possibly 3 (they wont know until its removed) the consultant said I've probably had it for 6 years but in a few more years it would have got to 4 or worse.

Good luck with the recovery mate. Serious news but, sounds like you're on top of it. My sincerest wishes for a safe and speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear of your illness.

I would just like to echo your post-my Dad was too embarrassed to go to his GP when he started having blood in his poo and it ultimately cost him (and us) his life.

He went to the docs eventually,and who knows what difference it would have made-but the earlier it is diagnosed the more chance you have.

Like the adverts a while ago say, Dont die of embarrassment.

RIP Dad, love ya.

Fella's. Don't be afraid to go to the docs either about your balls. I had a lump on one. Was pooing my sen for ages. Plucked up the courage, went to NGh a few weeks later after referral. Had a scan. Just a cyst. But as the Op states, get these things checked out.

Nobody wants to lose a fellow Owl because of pride.

Cheers Op glad your getting sorted.

Don't want to sound 'me too' but I found a lump on me rounduns. Like a third ********. I did go to the doctor pretty promptly and as with Wayne mine turned out to be an epididymal cyst, not a problem unless it becomes uncomfortable. Quite common apparently. Most often these things aren't anything to worry about but that doesn't mean you can dismiss them. If it is more serious you need treatment early. Didn't John Hartson leave it a bit late and is lucky to be still around?

Not pleasant having yer rounduns felt by someone not trying to turn you on and you worry they might be too rough  but you have to 'man up'. Actually I felt no embarrassment. It was more like going to the dentist and expecting something to hurt.

Any problems just do it! See your doctor

All the very best with your treatment and recovery mate..........Another check up that all blokes should keep up to date with is the prostate. Just found out that my nieghbour has prostate cancer and it made me realise that my check up is well overdue so it's now booked for next week. Don't enjoy the old finger up the rectum myself, but I'll only get seriously worried if I feel the Doctors' hands on my shoulders!

If you do spot anything like this it's not certain that you've got cancer so don't start thinking your days are numbered.

I spotted it about 3 years ago and doctor sent me to hospital for cameras, I was fearing worse but luckily it turned out to be just a slight erosion of stomach wall which a few tablets put right.

Go to see your doctor asap if you spot anything though.

If you do spot anything like this it's not certain that you've got cancer so don't start thinking your days are numbered.

I spotted it about 3 years ago and doctor sent me to hospital for cameras, I was fearing worse but luckily it turned out to be just a slight erosion of stomach wall which a few tablets put right.

Go to see your doctor asap if you spot anything though.

Exactly this - going to the doc's isn't going to change what you have.  If it's nothing, then you've lost 10 minutes out of your day to get checked.  If it's something, then at least you can get it treated.