Have we made a Mistake with Antonio?

Controversial I know but with his performances last season (who can forget the Carlisle goal in the 96th minute) have we really dropped a clanger thinking he can cut it in this league? In my honest view, he's had good games but he's also has had stinkers, I really do think the strikers are starved of service and sometimes Antonio offers huff and pull and chooses the wrongs options that leads to nothing and losing possession, JJ drifts in and out of games too, we need wingers that can constantly supply the forwards?

Or is it just me?

Guest v1images

He's the only player who hasn't been rested at all and has played in every game since start of the season. Antonio is obviously a quality player and will develop into one as he is still young and developing. ANTONIO ANTONIO!!

Let alone playing out of his socks every game regardless a stinker or not. There is no I in team.

I've seen him live on four occasions (all home games) and he has been decentish at times and bit of a non-entity at others, though I think that isn't down to a lack of effort or anything like that.

In League One he could pretty much knock the ball past any full back and then have the pace/power to get around them with little to no effort.

At Championship level the full backs are of a better quality and are frankly a bit more intelligent, so Antonio, like a number of our players, are going to need to be a bit smarter about how they go about things.

Guest wadsgod

Controversial I know but with his performances last season (who can forget the Carlisle goal in the 96th minute) have we really dropped a clanger thinking he can cut it in this league? In my honest view, he's had good games but he's also has had stinkers, I really do think the strikers are starved of service and sometimes Antonio offers huff and pull and chooses the wrongs options that leads to nothing and losing possession, JJ drifts in and out of games too, we need wingers that can constantly supply the forwards?

Or is it just me?

the answer you're looking for is no

Guest Crime Squad Cop

the answer you're looking for is no

That actually isn't a valid answer to his question but i do agree. Antonio is a key player to our team and he needs to be utilised to his maximum potential i.e. playing RW

We've got no variety when it comes to wingers.

All pacy players who will look to cut in and shoot before they'd look to cross.

Could've done with a Treacy type supplying a constant and consistent delivery through this rough patch.

But...

DJ hasn't ever to my knowledge ever mentioned the lack of crosses being produced, just that we are wasting "chances" by rushing the ball.

The number of crosses from the full backs has decreased significantly aswell. And with us playing 4-5-1 with only 1 recognised wide man then it sort of suggests DJ wants us to pass our way to goal through the middle, rather than bombarding the opposition with crosses.

With the strikers we've got though I personally would hammer crosses in as much as possible. The type of chances people like Madine and Bothroyd will score from would come from crosses.

IMO we're crying out for a wideman that can cross. I'm pretty sure DJ wouldn't agree with me though.

you can see why he didn't figure in reading's plans...

he's raw and fast, with some pretty pisspoor ball control...

we aren't a threat in this division so the opposition can concentrate on marking our most dangerous players...

bothroyd (although probably the best player in the side) is not prolific, and out wide...

madine has had hardly any playing time...

cog (the chairman wanted him out last season, so???) not enough goal threat...

the midfield's getting spanked with 4 in there, so we play 5 to tighten things up, and we create nothing...

and the reason is...

same as it always is in this scenario...

we need better players (at least in certain positions)...

if we stick with 5 in the middle, then we need one hell of a striker up front (no idea whose got one of those to spare)...

some of the players fetched in the closed season are dire, christ knows where we go from here, just stick at it for a couple more, or even 3 games...

if there's no improvement by then, well, "ask mr. jones to step in my office"...