Have we made a Mistake with Antonio?

Oh come on. LeFondra saga was pre-season in LEAGUE 1- MM clearly didn't want to take the financial risk, as with Marshall. And who can blame him.

Le Fondre cant be considered too much of a risk at league 1 level, if we then go on to sign O Grady for similar money though surely.

Nothing against COG, but financial risk clearly wasnt too much of an issue, which is disappointing when talking about a genuine goalscorer.

Edited by leea8331

Le Fondre cant be considered too much of a risk at league 1 level, if we then go on to sign O Grady for similar money though surely.

I'm not sure we did actually sign o'grady for similar money- it was an "undisclosed fee" at the time.

Rotherham were trying to have our pants down with LaFondra, and he eventually went to Reading for summat like 350 - 400k, with a load of add on's...making the deal worth like 600k.

Guest LittonOwl

I'm not sure we did actually sign o'grady for similar money- it was an "undisclosed fee" at the time.

Rotherham were trying to have our pants down with LaFondra, and he eventually went to Reading for summat like 350 - 400k, with a load of add on's...making the deal worth like 600k.

Perhaps we pissed them off with an early bid that they found insulting...?

Either way, it was undobtedly a mistake, £400k plus add ons for promotion/20 goals etc would hardly have been extortionate or a big risk on our behalf.

So what you saying? MM failed us last season, which is affecting us this season?

How did you get that from what I said?

What I meant was it would be wonderful if we could see into the future, knowing how signings and managerial appointments would work out before making them, seeing as we were talking about financial risks of making transfers.

No we've not.

He hasn't been as amazing as last season, which was likely to be the case anyway.

We just need another type of winger on the other side. Like many have said a Keith Tracey type

I dont think he's been anywhere near, which as you say was always likely.

I can only think of the Burnley game where Antonio really contributed anything of actual use to the team, and Oldham in the cup if we're counting that, the rest of it has been running into trouble, tripping over his own feet and a really poor end product.

His pace is a weapon, but his game needs so much work, hopefully it will come with time.

Edited by leea8331

I dont think he's been anywhere near, which as you say was always likely.

I can only think of the Burnley game where Antonio really contributed anything of actual use to the team, and Oldham in the cup if we're counting that, the rest of it has been running into trouble, tripping over his own feet and a really poor end product.

His pace is a weapon, but his game needs so much work, hopefully it will come with time.

He hasn't been that bad, at times he's been our only threat. Yeah he may run into trouble but he still causes trouble for the opposition.

IMO

Antonio & JJ should be competing for 1 position and pushing each other for that role both are quick/strong but struggle with end product(I actually think JJ is a slightly better player at the moment) however Antonio should improve with games, The only time we should have both on the pitch is when we are chasing a game for the last 20/25mins.

We need to pick another wideman up who can deliver a good set piece and cross from open play as a priority although i have been impressed with Bothroyd there, Treacy must be available for next to nowt although i suppose until Burnley appoint new manager they might not want to change anything.

There must be somebody available with scouting network out there. While playing 1 up i do agree O'Grady is possibly best option but we need to ensure that Opp winger is making the 2nd striker option when crosses are being delivered.

With more practice i do think we can make this system work though.

Also on Madine the abuse he gets is stupid, play him with a partner and he's by far the best finisher at the club & only a moron would say otherwise.

He hasn't been that bad, at times he's been our only threat. Yeah he may run into trouble but he still causes trouble for the opposition.

We've been saying that for 5 years about JJ though, and 4 times a year it pays off when he scores, but for the rest of it, the best we can hope for is a corner, because for all his powerful running, there is never an end product, he's still young and new to first team football, so I'm hoping it will come with time, and I think its very possible that it will do, but at the moment, for the best part of a million quid, he's been a bit shuffle for me.

Just to add to the debate

Jordan Rhodes, listening last night he hardly got a mention never mind a kick and he cost Blackburn £8 million iirc some on here were busting a gut for us to sign him.

Buying players is not an exact science and I'm sure Antonio will earn his fee soon

Just to add to the debate

Jordan Rhodes, listening last night he hardly got a mention never mind a kick and he cost Blackburn £8 million iirc some on here were busting a gut for us to sign him.

Buying players is not an exact science and I'm sure Antonio will earn his fee soon

He was totally anonymous last night.

That makes conceding the ridiculously soft goal even harder to take. I genuinely believe had we equalised, we would have gone on and won that game (I even had a tenner on us at half time at 18/1).

I like Antonio and he is a decent player albeit a bit indifferent this season.

But if we're talking mistakes.... Our biggest mistake was not buying Marshall last year. Exactly what we need now. A player to give us that spark.

Would he have come? If it's to be believed, we matched Leicesters offer, not sure about wages and he chose them. Looking at the league maybe he saw something in them that he didn't in us. Whether he did or not it looks like he made the right choice.

Why is 'hes a young lad' an excuse for Antonio, but when it comes to Madine - he gets all the abuse?

The abuse Madine get's is unwarranted.

Our highest goal scorer last season. It will take time for him to settle in this league. He's not played in the correct role, or the role that best suits his style of play. Should never be played as a lone striker imo.

Maybe Madines off field antics put off a few people?