Have we made a Mistake with Antonio?

Guest Briscoe Inferno

His final pass & shot selection needs work.

Its fine to get past your man but sometimes crossing it hard and low or pulling it back can be more effective than going for glory or over hitting the cross- if only we had players hanging back in space on the edge of the box to rifle in the ball.

Edited by Briscoe Inferno

Guest zico sterland

Antonio is well worth the fee,if we put him up for sale he would be snapped up on potential alone as he has shown ability at this level in various games.What you have to remember is he is only a young lad in only his second season of league football and has a lot to learn yet.We should be coaching him daily on positioning and that final ball,also about checking his options when in possesion,but a mistake buying him ? Definitley not !!!!!!!!

Guest MrsGoggins

Same as JJ they have no end product 9 times out of 10, if they did they would both be with premiership clubs. We just have to hope they have more better games than bad over the course of the season, on their day both are unplayable.

If we hadn't signed him, the world would have f00kin ended on here.

He's not having a big enough influence this season and looks off the pace.

No we didn't make a mistake - and I find it a silly suggestion. We took a punt on a player who did a fantastic job for us in a wonderful end to the season. If it doesn't come off so be it - but at least we spent money that virtually every f00ker told MM to do.

If we hadn't signed him, the world would have f00kin ended on here.

He's not having a big enough influence this season and looks off the pace.

No we didn't make a mistake - and I find it a silly suggestion. We took a punt on a player who did a fantastic job for us in a wonderful end to the season. If it doesn't come off so be it - but at least we spent money that virtually every f00ker told MM to do.

Exactly this.

Also, if he was the finished article he wouldn't have come to Wednesday for 700k.

Guest insideowl

I like Antonio and he is a decent player albeit a bit indifferent this season.

But if we're talking mistakes.... Our biggest mistake was not buying Marshall last year. Exactly what we need now. A player to give us that spark.

Why is 'hes a young lad' an excuse for Antonio, but when it comes to Madine - he gets all the abuse?

The abuse Madine get's is unwarranted.

Our highest goal scorer last season. It will take time for him to settle in this league. He's not played in the correct role, or the role that best suits his style of play. Should never be played as a lone striker imo.

Edited by bigdan2003

Guest LittonOwl

But if we're talking mistakes.... Our biggest mistake was not buying Marshall last year. Exactly what we need now. A player to give us that spark.

That and Le Fondre...

Guest LittonOwl

That was a ridiculous error, mainly because we spent the same amount of money on Maguire and refuse to play him for some reason.

Yeah, we would be an entirely different team now, with a winger that could cross/take set peices (didn't even had to be Marshall, Treacy would have been fine!) and a poacher like Le Fondre up front. The frustrating part for me is, we could have done it without breaking the bank.

He looked top class against the likes of carlisle and wycombe,but less effective in the game at huddersfield who were far stronger opposition,coupled to the fact he couldnt get into the reading side,struggling to make the bench some weeks,and the royals fans assesment of him,most valued him at the 300-350k mark,and two players were ahead of him in thier pecking order.

Im hoping more than expecting Antonio will improve.

That was a ridiculous error, mainly because we spent the same amount of money on Maguire and refuse to play him for some reason.

Oh come on. LeFondra saga was pre-season in LEAGUE 1- MM clearly didn't want to take the financial risk, as with Marshall. And who can blame him.

Edited by bigdan2003

Errrr because you notice Antonio doing something where Madine you notice the opposite

He runs when we have the ball, thats it, but the main things that I notice about Antonio is that he's often wasteful in possession, trips over his own feet and makes very poor decisions, things Madine is not often guilty of.

He doesnt have the pace of Antonio, he's a tall, heavy striker, who when playing up front alone for 80 minutes against a defence that was in the PL last season, isnt going to have much chance to get noticed, feeding off scraps is no way for a striker to play.

My only complaint with Madine is that I wish he'd stand up a bit more instead of looking for free kick, but other than that, the amount of stick he gets is ridiculous.