Have we made a Mistake with Antonio?

Controversial I know but with his performances last season (who can forget the Carlisle goal in the 96th minute) have we really dropped a clanger thinking he can cut it in this league? In my honest view, he's had good games but he's also has had stinkers, I really do think the strikers are starved of service and sometimes Antonio offers huff and pull and chooses the wrongs options that leads to nothing and losing possession, JJ drifts in and out of games too, we need wingers that can constantly supply the forwards?

Or is it just me?

Antonio will go on to be a very, very good player (hopefully with us) - that I have no doubt of, so lets not add him to the ever growing list of Scapegoats.

Antonio will go on to be a very, very good player (hopefully with us) - that I have no doubt of, so lets not add him to the ever growing list of Scapegoats.

Its not scapegoating, I think this thread is a fair question based on what we've seen from Antonio this season.

Keep in mindhe cost a lot of money, admittedly thats not his fault, but if the club is spending that much money on one player, we are probably entitled to expect a little more than we have seen from him so far.

I agree I think he can become a good player one day, I just hope we can sort out his composure, get him to calm down a bit when he has the ball and work on the end product, then of course we do have a really good player on our hands.

Guest NorthStandOwl1

Controversial I know but with his performances last season (who can forget the Carlisle goal in the 96th minute) have we really dropped a clanger thinking he can cut it in this league? In my honest view, he's had good games but he's also has had stinkers, I really do think the strikers are starved of service and sometimes Antonio offers huff and pull and chooses the wrongs options that leads to nothing and losing possession, JJ drifts in and out of games too, we need wingers that can constantly supply the forwards?

Or is it just me?

completely agree didn't seem bothered lat night

Just to add to the debate

Jordan Rhodes, listening last night he hardly got a mention never mind a kick and he cost Blackburn £8 million iirc some on here were busting a gut for us to sign him.

Buying players is not an exact science and I'm sure Antonio will earn his fee soon

Rhodes has still scored 4 in 9. Not bad for a team in turmoil. But that's irrelevant anyway.

As has been said, if we hadn't signed Antonio there would've been threads on here now saying why the flip didn't we sign him. So we can't complain.

But, nobody can have watched him this season and been completely happy with his start. He doesn't look the same player as last season. Can't put my finger on why, whether its the better quality full backs, his fitness or his confidence.

He's one of many disappointments so far this season but definitely well down the pecking order of the main issues with the team.

Just a debate, can't we even discuss it without people getting paranoid and thinking we have ulterior motives for posting it?

Right

Imagine we hadn't signed him and we were second bottom

Imagine the amount of threads moaning we should have signed him

No win situation

That is true however, we did sign him and we are second bottom, and then we go back to the original question.

Perhaps we pissed them off with an early bid that they found insulting...?

Either way, it was undobtedly a mistake, £400k plus add ons for promotion/20 goals etc would hardly have been extortionate or a big risk on our behalf.

Or maybe the player/agent/rotherham knew reading would be coming in and he was never going to join us.

We've been saying that for 5 years about JJ though, and 4 times a year it pays off when he scores, but for the rest of it, the best we can hope for is a corner, because for all his powerful running, there is never an end product, he's still young and new to first team football, so I'm hoping it will come with time, and I think its very possible that it will do, but at the moment, for the best part of a million quid, he's been a bit shuffle for me.

Which is why I said we need another different type of player on the other wing.

And he hasn't been shuffle at all

Which is why I said we need another different type of player on the other wing.

And he hasn't been shuffle at all

Depends what you want from a winger, I think he's been largely poor so because he's contributed very little other than to run down one side, and waste possession, or run the ball out of play.

I also think the fact that people are asking for a different type of winger on the other side, is an acceptance of the fact that pace alone is not enough, and that wingers need to be able to get his head up, and fire in a cross or make a pass when in a good position, which is something that this lad just doesnt seem to be able to do at the moment.

That is true however, we did sign him and we are second bottom, and then we go back to the original question.

I don't honestly get the question.

The clamour to sign Antonio was unbelievable. We signed him. He's not having the best of times by his high standard from last season - but why would it be deemed as a mistake?

He's not even close to one of the worst performers.

Even if he doesn't do the business at all for the rest of the season, it wouldn't be a mistake. It would just be something that didn't work out.

Just a debate, can't we even discuss it without people getting paranoid and thinking we have ulterior motives for posting it?

I didnt really mean it to come across that way, but it is scary just how fickle some of our fans are :ghoulguy:

There are undoubtadly a number of fans who were screaming for us to sign him who are now asking if we did the right thing, personally I dont think any of our new players (including the full signing on Antonio) have been given nearly enough time by some of our fanbase.

I am not sure Madine is the answer to our lack of goals, but some the fans who were singing Goal machine and valuing him in the Millions not so long ago, are now saying he cant hack it.

I don't honestly get the question.

The clamour to sign Antonio was unbelievable. We signed him. He's not having the best of times by his high standard from last season - but why would it be deemed as a mistake?

He's not even close to one of the worst performers.

Even if he doesn't do the business at all for the rest of the season, it wouldn't be a mistake. It would just be something that didn't work out.

This ^

Question answered.

While we are comparing Antonio and Marshall, it's worth noting that Marshall has been on their bench for several games now. I've not seen him play has anyone else ?

Scored a blinder to equalise game before last, not seen his name much though if I'm honest.

Edited by leea8331

Absolutely not a mistake and has been one of better players so far in my opinion.

Scored at Palace and got us a point at Burnley

Won 'penalties' at Wolves and versus 'Bolton' but refs did not 'see' them

Has been marked by 2 or more defenders at times as teams identify him as 'the threat' particularly in current system

He will score and make more goals and probably win more pens that refs dont see !!

For me always one of first names on teamsheet every time

Similar with Madine - many questioned his ability to step up - might need a season under his belt. Hearing folk raving bout Craig Davies at Barnsley but he did nothing last season after moving from Chezzie.

Unfortunately, last night, he was just about our only attacking option.

Give him the ball to run at the defence.

Blackburn doubled-up on him and rendered him ineffective.

JJ offered nothing on the other side and Buxton was the only other wide threat.

Lumping it up the middle resulted in nothing either.

People are wise to Antonio and if we aren't going to stretch teams by having credible other attacking routes in the team, then he will be easily subdued...!