Big Ron...

It wasnt the fact that he left for Villa that was such a problem, it was the way that he left that created the bitterness and Judas type hysteria. He should have just gone to Villa the first time, not say all that "ive always said this is the best club ive ever been at why would i even think of leaving?" BS and then leave the following week!

When he came back I'll admit i didnt want him at all because of how he left us, but when he appeared at the end of the tunnel for the Arsenal game wearing his trademark camel coat, the kop was bouncing to "Atkinsons Barmy Army" i instantly forgave him!

As for what made him so poular in the first place; charisma, style of football and success. Whats not to like or admire about that?

The players loved him, basically. Would run through brick walls for him. And he was larger than life and interesting.

Edit: Forgot to say, something people don't generally see as a requirement of footie managers but I do (not the be all and end all of course but imo it helps) - he was physically imposing.

Yep, he had the knack.

I'm just pleased we had the experience of him managing us and to have seen the amazing style of football we played under him.

Him going to Villa was hard for us at the time, but I wouldn't swap his time with us for anything.

It was fantastic while it lasted and I'm not sure anyone else could have done what he did for us - Tricky came close, but no-one has got anywhere near ever since.

proper manager poise charisma wealth of experience and sunglasses he had the lot

After I got over what I thought at the time was a ridiculous gamble by MM and saw what DJ had done with the team, I began to think we had another Big Ron , he really could 'build' a side but did it piece by piece balancing all areas -awesome manager who you felt the club was safe with

he changed the culture for good - style of football, massive personality and success. It wasn't all plain sailing, and we should have kept up in 90, but i can not genuinely remember anyone calling for him to be sacked that season. It was like everyone had bought into the revolution and it certainly paid off the following season. It was like your favourite uncle as manager - magical times

He made really good signings, moved players who werent good enough on, and made some of the players we already had play to their strengths and pass the ball, ie

Signed

Nilsson

King

Harkes

Palmer

Wilson

Williams

Atkinson

Sheridan

Shirtliff

Promoted to first team regulars

Hirst

Pearson

Moved on

Bennett

West

Cranson

Wood

Mind you there were some howlers - Shakespeare, Taylor etc

Also let wetherall n newsome leave for about 50p

Guest hirsty9

Big Ron was a bloody good manager, he knew everything , how to get players fired up , how to manage players Best manager since Big Jack.

I can never condemn a man that had the chance to manage his boyhood club and the team he supported...just imagine it if it was anyone of us with that chance to go to S6.

As for why he was such a good manager...he knew the game inside out and respected players as grown men and individuals. He knew they had failings and weaknesses but also knew exactly whet their strengths were...plus...

..his teams played 100% attacking football, he would make changes after 15 mins if he thought things weren't going right, he could read a match like no other manager we have had since and his transfer dealings were bloody, bleeding wondrous...

We could never have kept him, but we should have pulled out all the stops to keep him at S6 the second time around.

Judas? Never in a million years and for anyone to think so speaks volumes about what they have between their ears.

Guest Distraught!

Because of his knowledge of the game, aura, motivational skills, style and the respect he still had in the game.

When he stepped through the door, Wednesday changed as a club.

Would we have signed the likes of Dalian Atkinson, Sheridan, Palmer, and Nilsson if he wasn't the manager? They came because he was here.

He paved the way for Trev's few years of comparative success.

He left a legacy that will stick for years.

For me he was larger than life, but what's more important is that he came with a track record of success. Not pseudo success ie promotions but trophies. That to players gives him gives him instant respect and they listen. When players listen ..... you have a team and what a team they were.

Just realized the amazing parallel between Catterick and Atkinson, which I've never seen in print before.

Both came to us in about March(1958,1988). We went on to get relegated(1958,1990). We bounced back straightaway. We went on to finish 2nd/3rd in the top division.

Both left for their boyhood idols(Everton, Villa). Both went on to do well. Within 2 seasons Cattericks Everton won the league. Within 2 seasons, Villa were runners-up in the league.

On both ocassions Wednesday went into a slow decline- coming close to relegation to the bottom division(1976, 2010)

Spooky.

catterick never got relegated he joined us in august 58 and got promoted in his 1st season .......

Was a great manager for us but I hated him at the time he left for lying to ME.

I was fortunate enough to receive an invitation from the mayor to the civic reception in 91 ,by the time of the reception stories were already circulating about villa so I decided to ask Ron directly .During the evening I found myself next to the man as he circulated and questioned him as planned in response a huge smile broke across his face and he led me to the window pointed down to the fans and said "do you really think I'd me daft enough to leave all this I'll be here a few years yet".

I walked out of the town hall feeling 10 feet tall,the rest his history.