Big Ron...

What was it about Big Ron that made him so successful here ?

Was it simply the fact that his personality was as big as the club/fanbase/stadium ?

Is it the case that only the strong personalities can do a job here at Wednesday ?

Do the smaller/quieter personalities suffer when they try to take on the job ?

Owlstalk Shop

The players loved him, basically. Would run through brick walls for him. And he was larger than life and interesting.

Edit: Forgot to say, something people don't generally see as a requirement of footie managers but I do (not the be all and end all of course but imo it helps) - he was physically imposing.

Edited by Almat

I think he knew how to manage players as individuals and get the best out of them, some players need encouraging, arm around their shoulder, some need a kick up the arse to motivate them, he seemed to know which needed which.

I would have loved to see how he'd have handled the Di Canio incident, I bet he'd have still been a Wednesday player for many seasons.

Personally i thought he was a Judas tvvat and never forgave him for what he did to us in the first place. It still amazes me how we all took him back with our arms wide open.

Its like your Mrs cheating on you with someone at work who you cant stand and reckons he has a bigger and better house than you and then you taking the Mrs back after she moved in with him for a few years.

Wrong. Big Ron is a wee wee tail! There ive said it

Edited by Florida Owl

Personally i thought he was a Judas tvvat and never forgave him for what he did to us in the first place. It still amazes me how we all took him back with our arms wide open.

It like your Mrs cheating on you with someone at work who you cant stand and reckons he has a bigger and better house than you and then you taking the Mrs back after she moved in with him for a few years.

Didn't he come back and keep us up though?

Its like your Mrs cheating on you with someone at work who you cant stand and reckons he has a bigger and better house than you and then you taking the Mrs back after she moved in with him for a few years.

I can't believe people still think that..

Owlstalk Shop

JOOOOOOOOOODAS

Ron came to us in, I think, March 1989, when we looked like going down under Peter Eustace..

We just stayed up, but the following season, 89-90 we DID go down, scoring very few goals in the process. OK, we were unlucky for various reasons but the bottom line is that we did go down.

Nowadays he would almost certainly have been sacked- certainly by a chairman like MM.

But he got reprieved- and 12 months later we were playing brilliant exciting football, had won the league cup and had won promotion.

That's what people remember. I think he was a great manager(by our standards) but that's because we've had so many rubbish ones since Catterick also played the same trick on us- i.e. Sodding off to manage his boyhood heroes.

Remember Atkinson supported Villa and played in their youth side. So I don't completely blame him for going.

Big Ron...Legend !!! ..... and complete Arse for leaving the way he did !!! Shame he didnt stay for the 5 years from the word go that he's said is the lifespan of any manager before complacency sets in...gave me the best years of supporting Wednesday and built the side that Tricky Trev took on for that other memorable season!! Shame Richards felt he had to 'get his own back' second time around as Im sure that BR and Pearson would have been an ideal combination to take the club forward again....we'll never know!!.... He'd have treated Di Canio the same that Fergie did Cantona after the kick in the crowd...probably chastised Alcock for his poo poo dive and made light of it and made Paulo feel wanted....yeah it WOULD have been different!!...Big personalities can manage big time players without a problem and he managed Carbone and Di Canio together in the same side for a while anyway (still rates Benni as much as Zola even now!!)....I remember the friendly v Rangers away they got one apiece with Ron saying pre match 'lets get up their and show the jocks how we play football down here'!!! no excuses for the tele 'outburst' tho....

Just realized the amazing parallel between Catterick and Atkinson, which I've never seen in print before.

Both came to us in about March(1958,1988). We went on to get relegated(1958,1990). We bounced back straightaway. We went on to finish 2nd/3rd in the top division.

Both left for their boyhood idols(Everton, Villa). Both went on to do well. Within 2 seasons Cattericks Everton won the league. Within 2 seasons, Villa were runners-up in the league.

On both ocassions Wednesday went into a slow decline- coming close to relegation to the bottom division(1976, 2010)

Spooky.

Edited by Lincs Owl

Ron was the best modern day manager we have had (Catterick is still the best in my time).

However as I cannot forgive his defection to Vanilla the day after the townhall reception he has no loyalty and as far as I am concerned he could get under a snakes belly with a top hat on!!

He was good because he could spot a good player (Nilson Palmer Sheridan etc), he knew how to motivate players (got the best out of so many players) he knew how to get a side playing attractive, winning football. Easy this football management init?

much more than just a big personality. He knew how to build a successful team (like Wilkinson) with the right players, combinations, shape and balance to the side and get them playing good football but with a purpose not just for the sake of it. In centre mid he would have someone who could play (Sheridan) alongside a ball winner (Palmer). If he went with a winger on one side (Bennett, Carr) he would balance it by having a more natural wide midfielder on the opposite flank.

The only manager to win us a trophy since 1935. Says it all really