Were You There? - Manchester City home, 1969/70

I was there that night. All I remember now is the frustration and directing it against Bowyer who was playing for a place in the team. Never liked the Bowyers then or now.

It was a long long train ride home to London. There were 3 or 4 of us who all went to away games from London (can't remember any names). Looking back, it didn't really matter as much as we thought at the time, the team was in decline and we didn't deserve to stay up.

There have been so many disappointments with Wednesday, but once again next season we have hope that the revival begins and takes us back to the top.

UTO

Was also on the London Owls train trip that night. Left school early to catch the 3 o'clock train from St Pancras, got soaked through on the uncovered Kop, watched City somehow (!) miss chance after chance (including that penalty). Tony Coleman gave some hope with an equaliser but Bowyer ensured it ended in tears. Few after-match beers in the Ozzie Owl club and then the midnight 'milk train' back to London. Had to wait for tube to open at 5.30am and back home for about 7am. Remember wearing a black armband with my Wednesday shirt for a school football match in the afternoon and standing for a minute's silence at kick off time ... PE teacher not impressed as the ball went straight to me from kick off and I just stood there not moving! Rest of team (mostly Chelsea fans) explained what was going on but teacher not happy. Had just one or two similar trips in the intervening 41 years ...

On a different theme. Just watched the program on BBC 2 about Bobby Charlton. (same era)

Wasn't George Best brilliant?

Best ever IMO.

that goal he scores against chelsea...where he rounds bonetti after nearly being cut in half by ron 'arris on the edge of the area...i'd love to see messi play in games with that level of tackling...

and, i'd love to see all our tackling next season carry that amount of will to win...

Thought i'd get a new feature going on Owlstalk - Were You There?

I just like hearing stories from Wednesdayites, especially matchday ones, so it'd be great to get your memories to a few big games in our history, starting with the game that saw us relegated from the First Division in 1970.

Apparently Man City more or less handed the win to us on a plate but we still couldn't beat them.

Yes...if ever a team tried to help us it was Man City, I recall Franny Lee running the length of the pitch to fetch the ball for us to take a free kick near their box, they tried anything to help but we were so bad. Then on came that illegitimate who didn't know the script!! Bowyer

What a week. After going 2 0 down at old Trafford we played brilliantly to get a draw. The coach over the Pennines was raucous. I remember Wilf Smith talking to the City penalty taker Just before the penalty and then going off soon after. I don’t think Bowyer played for City again. A bit like Trebilcock never playing for Everton after the Cup Final. I suppose I should know better these days but as is often said on here “it’s the Wednesday way”. Will never forget the City game.

I was there also pissed wet though on kop

2rd worst penalty ever seem after colin west effort grummitt was laid on floor 5minutes waiting for ball to come to him 

Word class goal from coleman leading to getting crushed 

True the foul on summmerbee changed the game on came  the sub and the rest is history

I was there, South Stand, City did everything in their powers to let Wednesday win. Unfortunately Bower must have gone for a dump during the team talk & didn't realise that we were supposed to win. 

Wednesday in their own inimitable style couldn't get a result when only one of the opposition was trying.

Went to this one on my todd,  I was 9 years old  ( must have been no school next day... like it mattered back then !!)

Absolutely soaked in my surfer jacket with no lining stood at the front of the Lep because of my age I can't say I noticed City weren't trying ,although I do remember the soft penalty miss

Thing is,  unless I'm mistaken we played Everton who were already champions a week or so before the City game 

Owls v Champions, as it said on the scoreboard ,yes it worked back then ,shame it was only the opposition that used it !

Anyway we Absolutely battered them ,hit the woodwork a good few times ......and guess what ,we lost 1-0

On 27/04/2011 at 11:50, KivoOwl said:

Thought i'd get a new feature going on Owlstalk - Were You There?

I just like hearing stories from Wednesdayites, especially matchday ones, so it'd be great to get your memories to a few big games in our history, starting with the game that saw us relegated from the First Division in 1970.

Apparently Man City more or less handed the win to us on a plate but we still couldn't beat them.

yup, went with a couple of school mates stood just below the old scoreboard on the kop, soaked through to the skin, funny thing is as a youngster the enormity of the drop didn't really register, it was as if we would be back next year, little did we know.

left school got a job, had a few bob in my pocket and started going home and away, scrapes, mither, laughs comradeship in what seemed to be a futile but almost religious like devotion to a seemingly lost cause - wouldn't have missed it for the world

makes today's troubles seem like a giggle 

Was at both the Man Utd away game (2-2) and the Man City (1-2) home game. Remember Utd played at half pace throughout the 2-2 draw. Citeh did all they could to give us the points, but Bowyer came on and obviously wanted a place in their European match following the last league match. But the table didn’t lie , we were terrible for the whole season and deserved to go down. It was Tommy Craig and 10 others who were either past it or not good enough. What was the team that night? Sorry if this has been requested earlier, haven’t read the entire thread.

Great thread this, brings back loads of distant memories. This was the first game I ever went to. Can remember going with my dad and grandad, who were mad Wednesdayites bless em. I was terrified on the packed cop and my dad managed to get us to one of the crush barriers and stand me up on it. Atmosphere was electric and night matches back in those days were something else. Result was upsetting but my memories of the night are brilliant.