Were You There? - Manchester City home, 1969/70

Thought i'd get a new feature going on Owlstalk - Were You There?

I just like hearing stories from Wednesdayites, especially matchday ones, so it'd be great to get your memories to a few big games in our history, starting with the game that saw us relegated from the First Division in 1970.

Apparently Man City more or less handed the win to us on a plate but we still couldn't beat them.

I was there in the pissin down rain Man City did everything to give us that game they got a pen and the City player spoke to our keeper before he took the pen and just rolled it straight to him. Then Bower came on as sub and scored 2 goals our was scored by an ex City player Tony Coleman we were awful not much changes .The last 2 games we needed 3 points we drew at Old trafford 2-2 leaving us to beat Man City.

My first ever game. Spent the whole game sat on my older brother's shoulders, apparently. I can't remember anything at all but I'm told that I was full of smiles, thrilled at finally being allowed to go to a game while not understanding the situation, while all the people around me were all wearing long faces.

I was there standing on the Kop.

The first half was just incredible.....City playing as though they were totally disinterested which they were as the Cup Winners Cup final was the following week for them. Can remember the penalty at the Kop end and Tony Book running half the length of the pitch to talk to the taker (Glyn Pardoe?) who then rolled it straight to Peter Grummitt. Also remember when Ian Bowyer came on....it was a bad foul by Colin Prophett on Mike Summerbee which kept him out of the CWC final. City's attitude totally changed after that when they realised how serious Summerbee's injury was; if that hadn't have happened and it had still been 0-0 five minutes from the end I'm certain their goalie would have chucked it in the net for us. So basically Prophett's foul was what caused us to lose the game and be relegated.

Strange atmosphere at the end.....it was as though someone had died.

• Like 1

Guest sotonowl

Thought i'd get a new feature going on Owlstalk - Were You There?

I just like hearing stories from Wednesdayites, especially matchday ones, so it'd be great to get your memories to a few big games in our history, starting with the game that saw us relegated from the First Division in 1970.

Apparently Man City more or less handed the win to us on a plate but we still couldn't beat them.

I was on the Leppings Lane end,couldn't get anywhere else,absolutely packed,weeing down if I remember correctly.Everyone knew we were supposed to win except the sub,Bowyer.Think he came on for Summerbee.Devastating.

I remember it well. I was stood in front of the scoreboard on the kop. weeing down with rain and 45k there I think.Coleman scored a beauty for us and then, in true Wednesday style it all went wrong. I can remember sitting on the soccer special bus crying, and then walking across the front of the Top Rank and some bloke asking the score. We told him and he laughed. First time I ever felt like punching someone over football.

Set me up for a lifetime of misery and hating united fans. :biggrin:

Middle of the kop...I was 11...wee wee wet through and carried out without my feet touching the floor...good old Bowyer....every single player on the pitch wanted us to win but he forgot to read the fookin' script. I remember Colemans belly wobblying down the wing and the crackin' goal....the rest was ineptitude and buffoonery..

Took the wife to that game it was her first game & guess what it was her last, Sat onthe front row leppings lane stand pissed it down with rain.Man city did everything to help us win,somebody forgot to tell the sub Boyer that we had to win &the rest is history.

I was there standing on the Kop.

The first half was just incredible.....City playing as though they were totally disinterested which they were as the Cup Winners Cup final was the following week for them. Can remember the penalty at the Kop end and Tony Book running half the length of the pitch to talk to the taker (Glyn Pardoe?) who then rolled it straight to Peter Grummitt. Also remember when Ian Bowyer came on....it was a bad foul by Colin Prophett on Mike Summerbee which kept him out of the CWC final. City's attitude totally changed after that when they realised how serious Summerbee's injury was; if that hadn't have happened and it had still been 0-0 five minutes from the end I'm certain their goalie would have chucked it in the net for us. So basically Prophett's foul was what caused us to lose the game and be relegated.

Strange atmosphere at the end.....it was as though someone had died.

Pretty much as I remember it standing on the kop. I reckon I could've run off the kop and saved the penalty it was hit that softly.

Was there too getting soaked on the Kop. As previous posters have mentioned City did everything they could to help us out except for young Bowyer who was trying to impress his manager. At the end of the day we could not help ourselves and went down. It was the first relegation season that I had endured in the ten years I had been going to watch Wednesday,my mates and i honestly thought it was a temporary hiccup and were making comments like "A season in div 2 wonn't be too bad". Little did we know that it would be fourteen years before we were to taste top flight football again.

I was there and I was at Old Trafford the week before. City weren't interested in winning, but then Bowyer, who was being talked about in terms of England, came on as sub, and he obviously wanted to impress.

I was at Old Trafford the week before as well. We got held up in traffic, and arrived at the ground at just about 7:30, to be greeted by a huge roar, which we took to be Man U coming out. Very shortly after there was another roar, which we took to be Wednesday coming out. When we got into the ground we were actually losing 2 - 0, but managed to fight our way back to a 2 - 2 draw.