Were You There? - Manchester City home, 1969/70

The omens had looked good,as in the previous game away at man utd noboddy gave us a prayer,despite going behind 0-2,we fought back for unthinkable draw.

Palace had finished thier games and city were in the cup winners cup final a week later,so we knew we needed the win,and city played with hands in pockets,wilf smith was passed fit barely 30 mins before kick off on a drab wet windy night,this backfired,he left the pitch clutching his injured groin.

Prophet made an awfull tackle on sumerbee,bowyer,playing for a place in the cup final,came on and duly had a stormer,despite colemans 25 yarder swerving past a helpless dowd,city had gained new bite on hearing the damage to sumerbee at half time,came out 2nd half more determined.Doyle struck a tame pen striaght to grummitt,not sure if franny lee was playing that night,but tony book certainly had words with doyle prior to the kick,trotting up from his own half.

In truth we were awfull,it was an awfull season,that had started with a 1-4 away to city,and was noteable for a humiliating cup loss to fourth division sflaphorpe at s6,

I actually disagree,got it on video and watched it that many times the tape is fading and jumping.

It is one of the best pens i have ever seen!

I suppose if you look at it that way then yes, it's was the best pen ever, both style and delivery. I think he recieved death threats after that game from one half of the city and the freedom of the other half of the city.

I suppose if you look at it that way then yes, it's was the best pen ever, both style and delivery. I think he recieved death threats after that game from one half of the city and the freedom of the other half of the city.

That's better :) you get my drift.

I think he is now known as Sir Don in two thirds of the city.

I was there standing on the Kop.

The first half was just incredible.....City playing as though they were totally disinterested which they were as the Cup Winners Cup final was the following week for them. Can remember the penalty at the Kop end and Tony Book running half the length of the pitch to talk to the taker (Glyn Pardoe?) who then rolled it straight to Peter Grummitt. Also remember when Ian Bowyer came on....it was a bad foul by Colin Prophett on Mike Summerbee which kept him out of the CWC final. City's attitude totally changed after that when they realised how serious Summerbee's injury was; if that hadn't have happened and it had still been 0-0 five minutes from the end I'm certain their goalie would have chucked it in the net for us. So basically Prophett's foul was what caused us to lose the game and be relegated.

Strange atmosphere at the end.....it was as though someone had died.

it was summerbee who fouled prophett coz we got the free kick but injured himself doing so .

Thought i'd get a new feature going on Owlstalk - Were You There?

I just like hearing stories from Wednesdayites, especially matchday ones, so it'd be great to get your memories to a few big games in our history, starting with the game that saw us relegated from the First Division in 1970.

Apparently Man City more or less handed the win to us on a plate but we still couldn't beat them.

We got wet through,saw our team go down and as a cherry on the bun,we had a parking ticket on the car.

Guest Buxtonian

I didn't start going to games until 79/80 so a little before my time.

However,i sit in the old Fogey section of the North Stand and have been told a few times how obvious it was that City were'nt.....how shall i put it.......trying their hardest.

Just another chapter in our colourful history.

How boring must it be to be an Arsenal fan with no past glories/stories of relegations and promotions? Or am i clutching at straws?

I was on the Leppings Lane in the pouring rain, and believe me, City were certainly trying their hardest- to let us win!!!

The reason,I suppose, was part sentimental, but to a large part COMMERCIAL. Don't forget that the away support for Wednesday is far from a new thing! Wherever we went, we had a large following.

Don't think they wanted Palace to stay up either.

I remember the 1950's when we were rightfully called the 'Yo-Yo' club, bouncing between 1st and 2nd Division, but I don't think that I've ever been ashamed to call myself a Wednesdayite til that game. Even the penalty was so poor and unusual that Grummit nearly managed to fail to save it. City were shooting from the edge of the Six-yard box and nearly hitting the corner flag.

Unfortunately, no one briefed Bowyer as to what was goin on.

I have to admit thta it is one of the few times when i felt ashamed to be a Wednesdayite.

I just like hearing stories from Wednesdayites, especially matchday ones, so it'd be great to get your memories to a few big games in our history, starting with the game that saw us relegated from the First Division in 1970.

Apparently Man City more or less handed the win to us on a plate but we still couldn't beat them.

My dad and I headed down towards the ground and then had a conversation about how we'd probably lose and couldnt bear to watch them so we went to the circus which was in Hillsborough Park that night. Turned out to be the right choice lol

My dad and I headed down towards the ground and then had a conversation about how we'd probably lose and couldnt bear to watch them so we went to the circus which was in Hillsborough Park that night. Turned out to be the right choice lol

So there were two circus's in Hillsborough that night :biggrin:

I went to Old trafford the game before expecting to be hammered. We went 2-0 down, astonishingly we came abck to draw 2-2 and we needed to win to stay up against Man City. I remember Crystal palace fans sending letters to Maine Road begging them to beat us, but they obviuosly didn't listen! Awful experience which really did upset me for months. My mate Spanner's dad fectched us back and I sat ona pile of rubble in the back of his builders van. I can clearly remember looking through the tiny back windows to see the neon lights saying in big letters "CRYSTAL PALACE" on a bulilding in Heeley bottom, I think it was a bingo hall. Can anyone confirm there was a place called Crystal Palace in Heeley in 1970 or have I dreamt it?

I was on the Kop....when Coleman scored I lost both my shoes in the crowd surge, I found one of em but not the other.......my mom gave me a reyt bollakin when I got home.

It's a game I will never ever forget, I actually cried at the end of it.

I went to Old trafford the game before expecting to be hammered. We went 2-0 down, astonishingly we came abck to draw 2-2 and we needed to win to stay up against Man City. I remember Crystal palace fans sending letters to Maine Road begging them to beat us, but they obviuosly didn't listen! Awful experience which really did upset me for months. My mate Spanner's dad fectched us back and I sat ona pile of rubble in the back of his builders van. I can clearly remember looking through the tiny back windows to see the neon lights saying in big letters "CRYSTAL PALACE" on a bulilding in Heeley bottom, I think it was a bingo hall. Can anyone confirm there was a place called Crystal Palace in Heeley in 1970 or have I dreamt it?

Could it not have been some clever improvisation by a blade fan?

Guest Willie Wontie

It was us or Palace, I think to go down. I was at Old Trafford for the midweek game prior to this. We were 2-0 down after 7 minutes. Coleman scored just before HT. All the manchester crowd were willing Wednesday to score, then Jack Witham scored with a sort of back heel. Now we had just to beat City at home to stay up.

Pouring rain, I was soaked on the cop. City tried to let us win, even the penalty was given a nod as to where the ball was going. Unfortunately, Bowyer (for Summerbee who was playing too good so was cropped and limped off) and Corrudus were young and playing for their futures and condemmed Wednesday to division 2.

It was a 'fix' that did not work out, if it had there would have been an enquiry. You had to be there to believe what was happening.

Manchester City (except Bowyer and Corrudus) did all they could to keep Wednesday up.

way before my time as i was only 4 years old then

I was there that night. All I remember now is the frustration and directing it against Bowyer who was playing for a place in the team. Never liked the Bowyers then or now.

It was a long long train ride home to London. There were 3 or 4 of us who all went to away games from London (can't remember any names). Looking back, it didn't really matter as much as we thought at the time, the team was in decline and we didn't deserve to stay up.

There have been so many disappointments with Wednesday, but once again next season we have hope that the revival begins and takes us back to the top.

UTO