Peter Atherton

He did a job, scored one very flukey goal from quite a distance out, I forget who against.

If I remember rightly, often used just in front of the back four when we played against teams with a Teddy Sherringham type player to counter their threat, and did an admirable job of man marking. Crap at right back and centre half.

Never really rated him though, and also the other we got from Coventry - Andy Pearce. I'll get slated by some for that, but they just weren't quite good enough.

Edited by salmonbones

We had just lost against Blackburn away, 7-1 (?) and Carbone had scored our only goal.

The next week I took my son down to the training ground at Middlewood road to watch them train and Atherton came over to speak to us.

I said to him awkwardly - 'what happened Peter'? He said, 'I don't know, but it was frightening'.

Top. top, man - top, top professional.

Always had a lot of time for him. A great tryer of limited ability.

This lot could learn a lot from him.

Atherton was like many players such as Worthington that fans would be quick to get on their backs during a game however when they were not in the team they were greatly missed. A steady player who would do a steady job. Didn't he once have the record for most appearances in the Premier League although I am going back some years before our demise?

Fantastic at Anfield away, we won 1-0 and Whittingham scored.

Man-marked McManaman and he never got a sniff.

That reminds me of McKee's cartoon (for younger readers he did some fabulous pictures for the fanzines) where McManaman was going into his wardrobe and Atherton was in there going 'boo!'

:biggrin:

He was a solid but unspectacular player for a few years, but towards the end deteriorated quite badly.

Edited by DJMortimer

That reminds me of McKee's cartoon (for younger readers he did some fabulous pictures for the fanzines) where McManaman was going into his wardrobe and Atherton was in there going 'boo!'

:biggrin:

He was a solid but unspectacular player for a few years, but towards the end deteriorated quite badly.

Would love to see that.

Is there anyway I could view them cartoons online?

Always thought he had a hunchback,was solid for us but was typical of the kind of player we signed to replace that top team in the early 90s.

Scored a few goals for us including screamers vs villa and soton.

Yeah, right back. Nilsson or Atherton. Not a hard decision. But still, he's alot better than what we've got now

I wrote this before, and will again since this is "his" thread:

I remember there was a quiz in one of these old 'Match' or 'Shoot' magazines about what is your favorite type of player. There were just three options to chose from:

1) Flashy superstar - represented by David Beckham

2) Overated foreign star - represented by Mikkel Beck

3) Reliable, unspectacular, but underated team player - represented by Peter Atherton.

He was nowhere near as good as right-back he replaced, but it is unfair to say he was a reason why we got relegated from Premiership. If rest of our players showed his passion and will to win, we would have possibly still been up there.

His goal in 2:0 win against Man Utd will never be forgotten - by me at least.

He did a job, scored one very flukey goal from quite a distance out, I forget who against.

If I remember rightly, often used just in front of the back four when we played against teams with a Teddy Sherringham type player to counter their threat, and did an admirable job of man marking. Crap at right back and centre half.

Never really rated him though, and also the other we got from Coventry - Andy Pearce. I'll get slated by some for that, but they just weren't quite good enough.

biffo had a career that lasted 20 years played nearly 700 games 350 of them in the top flight so must have had something going for him ....