Peter Atherton

That reminds me of McKee's cartoon (for younger readers he did some fabulous pictures for the fanzines) where McManaman was going into his wardrobe and Atherton was in there going 'boo!'

McKee's cartoons were always great

Colemans Balls one always gave me a chuckle

Yeah, right back. Nilsson or Atherton. Not a hard decision. But still, he's alot better than what we've got now

Yet Atherton won the player of the year trophy and Nilsson didn't........

of no real relevence, but I've just done Kivos quiz and thought it strange Rolo never made it......spelling it 5 different ways didn't help either :biggrin:

Atherton was like many players such as Worthington that fans would be quick to get on their backs during a game however when they were not in the team they were greatly missed. A steady player who would do a steady job. Didn't he once have the record for most appearances in the Premier League although I am going back some years before our demise?

Atherton was nothing like Worthington.

In my time Sterland, Nillson, Petrescu even Patrick Blondeax and Juan Cobian were better right backs then Atherton, which was the position he came in to play.

Give a crap player 500 games and at the end of the 500 games he'll still be a crap player. He was great at man marking and was very fit, but he was never a Wednesday type of player, more a wimbledon or Blades type of player, and yes, the kind we need right now to get us out of a mess, but he was never a premiership full back.

Never rated him as a player......................he was whole hearted but very limited.

Didnt rate him as a bloke either after witnessing the following incident at Middlewood.

The whole squad is trooping off after training but Chris Waddle (then on training staff ) and Beni Carbone are heading back to the pitch.

Atherton sees this and pipes up to Waddle in a sneering tone " Oh i get it , hes the favourite is he?"

Waddle to his credit kept calm and replied " No ................hes just the only one whos asked to stay behind to work on his finishing with his weaker foot "

Atherton muttered a barely audible insult and Waddle just shook his head................................it came across as petulant and childish in the extreme.......................especially as at that time Atherton was ( unbelievably ) captain.

Never rated him as a player......................he was whole hearted but very limited.

Didnt rate him as a bloke either after witnessing the following incident at Middlewood.

The whole squad is trooping off after training but Chris Waddle (then on training staff ) and Beni Carbone are heading back to the pitch.

Atherton sees this and pipes up to Waddle in a sneering tone " Oh i get it , hes the favourite is he?"

Waddle to his credit kept calm and replied " No ................hes just the only one whos asked to stay behind to work on his finishing with his weaker foot "

Atherton muttered a barely audible insult and Waddle just shook his head................................it came across as petulant and childish in the extreme.......................especially as at that time Atherton was ( unbelievably ) captain.

It's been a few years now, so maybe I've got it wrong, but I seem to remember Atherton (and Booth) being singled out in Di Canio's book for behaving like this generally with 'the two Italians'™.

Atherton was nothing like Worthington.

In my time Sterland, Nillson, Petrescu even Patrick Blondeax and Juan Cobian were better right backs then Atherton, which was the position he came in to play.

Give a crap player 500 games and at the end of the 500 games he'll still be a crap player. He was great at man marking and was very fit, but he was never a Wednesday type of player, more a wimbledon or Blades type of player, and yes, the kind we need right now to get us out of a mess, but he was never a premiership full back.

Sunshine if you read my thread I said that he was the type of player that fans would get on to for one reason or another. I never compared their abilities but to say that Blondeau was a better right back than Atherton I think you may need your head looking at.