LUKE VARNEY

Guest wilkotheowl

I like Varney, always liked fast strikers. Imagine JJ and Varney up-front away from home. That could either be genious counter attacking football - or an absolute shambolic disaster.

It shouldn't really but that made me chuckle....I like the idea but just had to laugha t those two bombing away and slicing balls aimlessly to each other like the chuckle brothers on crack

these are the two main reasons why he is a good signing

too many fan's seem to be like poo sunday league players these days......ball watchers

You could argue that too many fans like players who run around like lunatics, clapping and trying hard as well though

very bizarre signing in my opinion

One of the best managers in England (Harry Redknapp) said last week that it is impossible to keep more than 4 strikers match sharp and anywhere near their capabilities

We now have 6. (Sodje, Varney, Tudders, Clarke, Jeffers and JJ)

How the hell are the other 4 who don't play, going to keep anywhere near a standard where they could make an impact, especially the 2 who aren't even in the match day squad

When finances are tight, carrying this many strikers seem ludicrous.

Obviously, if Sodje or Jeffers are to leave in a few days, then it makes sense, but I've heard nothing to substantiate this

Strange use of finance, unless of course people are being moved on

One of the best managers in England (Harry Redknapp) said last week that it is impossible to keep more than 4 strikers match sharp and anywhere near their capabilities

How the hell are the other 4 who don't play, going to keep anywhere near a standard where they could make an impact, especially the 2 who aren't even in the match day squad

Obviously, if Sodje or Jeffers are to leave in a few days, then it makes sense, but I've heard nothing to substantiate this

I'd say Sodje / Jeffers are low in the pecking order, and Johnson can and probably will be used alternating between a forward and attacking midfielder. He is in the fortunate position of being one of the preferred players in more than one position.

I'd probably say Tudgay, Clarke and Varney would be the top three strikers while Johnson is injured.

Sodje and Jeffers are probably a write off in all honesty.

Varney for me is not unsimiliar to Tudgay in that he's probably a 8-15 goal a season striker. At this moment in time, this type of striker is the only type we can afford. In the short term this type of signing is probably good enough to keep Wednesday in this Division (and that's good enough for now) and probably Mid-Table but long term, to progress to a side that's consistently competing in the Top-Half of the table, then we need a striker who can hit 18-25 goals in a season. Investment at some stage in the future probably has to come in for this to happen? or AI needs to fall lucky with a bargain basement signing or a kid coming through the ranks who may score this amount of goals?. Personally I wouldn't be too disappointed with a move for Steve MacLean, afterall it might only have been in League 1 but he's the only player to score 20 goals in a season for us in 10 years or so and he was out for a fair part of this particular season with injury?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

I'd say Sodje / Jeffers are low in the pecking order, and Johnson can and probably will be used alternating between a forward and attacking midfielder. He is in the fortunate position of being one of the preferred players in more than one position.

I'd probably say Tudgay, Clarke and Varney would be the top three strikers while Johnson is injured.

Sodje and Jeffers are probably a write off in all honesty.

I don't doubt what you've mentioned, ability or availability wise, but having all 6 on our books, when finances are apparantly this tight seems a little strange.

JJ must be injured for the long term, as surely Tudgay, Clarke and JJ, with Sodje and / or Jeffers as back up to those 3 is enough when we have no money ?

Was this deal lined up before Irvine was incharge?

Must have been muted between Wednesday, Derby, and the player.

Lets get behind the land ayway.

Perhaps Irvine believes he can get the best out of him.

His pace is a major asset, as is his work rate.

Shame he can't finish for poo poo though.

I don't doubt what you've mentioned, ability or availability wise, but having all 6 on our books, when finances are apparantly this tight seems a little strange.

JJ must be injured for the long term, as surely Tudgay, Clarke and JJ, with Sodje and / or Jeffers as back up to those 3 is enough when we have no money ?

6 strikers does seem a rather high number, but I think without knowing the specific finances involved it's hard to say if it's worth it or not.

Personally I think we must be able to afford Varney and he must be preferred to two or three of the other strikers available, else he wouldn't be back here, so fair enough imo.

6 strikers does seem a rather high number, but I think without knowing the specific finances involved it's hard to say if it's worth it or not.

Personally I think we must be able to afford Varney and he must be preferred to two or three of the other strikers available, else he wouldn't be back here, so fair enough imo.

question time....... do you start him Saturday infront of Clarke ?

Think rednap said "four good strikers" which is not a luxury we have. Of those youve named I believe Varney and Tudgay are way ahead. So I wouldnt say hes wrong to bring Varney in, hes wrong to keep the others....yep I know he has no choice for now. But why stick with poo if you can get better?

JJ getting injured probably triggered this.

Have we really spent any money though?? Because going into January Varney was still on our books. So I don't really see much change.

Sodjes back but surely he isn't on more than what Feeney was and we signed Varney before when Sodje was here anyway.

I've got a feeling that this might not mean someone else is going out to make room.