LUKE VARNEY

Guest wilkotheowl

I'm in two minds about this.

We've seen what he can do (pace, tries hard, scores the odd goal and is capable of the spectacular) but we also know that he can't really play with Tudgay who is our best striker as they are too similar, is pretty inconsistant (from the Scunny game in which he was excellent, to the Ipswich game in which he looked like he had never played football before), and fooks up a lot in front of goal. (As do all of our strikers tbf :biggrin: )

If he's been signed as a replacement for Sodje then i think it's good business... if we're selling one of our better players for the cash then i'm not so sure.

Guest Deleted member

I dunt understand wednesdayites - people are generally slagging a bloke off on here cos he didnt do the business under Laws i.e. hes didnt bang in a crap load of goals - then 'fans' start pointing the finger saying thats why we are in a relegation dogfight - IMO this is just pure tunnel vision and a tad ridiculous to blame it on 1 player

You should have been on here when we were talking about a permanent deal for kenwyne Jones...

The owlstalk 'experts' slated him - stating his goals were a one-off and he'd never make a footballer.

Cracking news i bet Scram will be pleased :cool:

Seriously though great signing for us at the moment .

You get what you see with Varney , Not the best player in the Championship but he is as busy as flip and keeps defenders on their toes .

Now swap Leon and Jeffers for Parkin and were sorted .

Very happy with Luke Varney, his pace alone creates chances & with Johnson injured, then Tudgay taking a knock...we are down to bare bones. Im so surprised he's not wanted at Derby...Maybe he's questioned the Clough in the changing room & he didnt like it.

Well Done Sheffield Wednesday for this signing.

I'm a bit underwhelmed. I don't rate him very highly he's a headless chicken. A poor mans Kenny Miller. Hopefully he's not being signed with the view of Tudgay leaving.

THAT would be a poo deal. Agreed.

But as far as underwhelmed... why? I wasn't expecting us to sign anyone to be honest, so it's not like I had high hopes for some sort of coup of a signing.

I'm not thrilled either mate, but I certainly don't see it as a 'bad' signing.

Cracking news i bet Scram will be pleased :cool:

I'm not fussed tbh - i won't lie - from what i've seen at his various clubs he's not my type of player - though he played very well against Newcastle

But still....new manager, fresh start and all that - i'll look at him with fresh eyes - same for all the players

I'm a bit underwhelmed. I don't rate him very highly he's a headless chicken. A poor mans Kenny Miller. Hopefully he's not being signed with the view of Tudgay leaving.

You got to go with the stats though. He's probably the best striker we could attract on our budget and such. He's better than what we have (other than Marcus) and has pace.

He's a good signing and likes it here.

I'm not fussed tbh - i won't lie - from what i've seen at his various clubs he's not my type of player - though he played very well against Newcastle

But still....new manager, fresh start and all that - i'll look at him with fresh eyes - same for all the players

I'd agree with that.

But he would be a good strike partner for Healy.

:biggrin:

THAT would be a poo deal. Agreed.

But as far as underwhelmed... why? I wasn't expecting us to sign anyone to be honest, so it's not like I had high hopes for some sort of coup of a signing.

I'm not thrilled either mate, but I certainly don't see it as a 'bad' signing.

He did a reasonable job I just don't think he's a very good footballer. He's all huff and puff and we already have a striker like that in Sodje.

Unless we're planning on sending Akpo straight off again after just bringing him back?

Seems a bit pointless. Put it this way I'm a bit concerned. We wouldn't be bringing him in unless someone was moving on. So who is it going to be? That's why I'm thinking Tudgay. And with Laws at Burnley it's not unrealistic. I hope it's not the case.

If we were getting anyone I would have much prefered Soares until the end of the season.

You got to go with the stats though. He's probably the best striker we could attract on our budget and such. He's better than what we have (other than Marcus) and has pace.

He's a good signing and likes it here.

He's a decent signing. Nothing to get excited about. If Johnson is injured and going to be out for a while then it's fair enough, but I wouldn't start Varney ahead of him. He's quicker than Varney and I think Johnson could be a very effective front man.

Guest WoodhouseOwl77

He has probably gone for Varney as he wants somebody who will settle in quickly. He did look decent on Boxing Day and hopefully Irvine can get the best out of him.

Let Charlton have Sodje.

He did a reasonable job I just don't think he's a very good footballer.

:laugh: he sort of falls at a the first hurdle then...

Unless we're planning on sending Akpo straight off again after just bringing him back?

Seems a bit pointless. Put it this way I'm a bit concerned. We wouldn't be bringing him in unless someone was moving on. So who is it going to be? That's why I'm thinking Tudgay. And with Laws at Burnley it's not unrealistic. I hope it's not the case.

If we were getting anyone I would have much prefered Soares until the end of the season.

He's a decent signing. Nothing to get excited about. If Johnson is injured and going to be out for a while then it's fair enough, but I wouldn't start Varney ahead of him. He's quicker than Varney and I think Johnson could be a very effective front man.

Fair point.

I think actually it's more likely to be a low risk, low cost option. Agreed about Soares - if it was one or the other I would much rather have Soares - but I don't think Varney is here as a view to replace someone significant, more likely as an additional option instead of Sodje / Jeffers.

Which I would be alright with.

Hope I'm right and you're wrong :biggrin:

so do we start with Clarke or Varney on Saturday? that will be the only decision for Irvine IMO

According to the BBC website, Peterborough are expecting Charlie Lee to play at CB on saturday (that might not be accurate, just what the BBC say)

Charlie Lee is pretty small- only about 5 foot 6 or 5 foot 7 iirc, so i'd play Clarke and Tudgay together, as i think they'll get more joy out of him.

Plus also, Varney and Tudgay are pants together- absolutely pants.

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

His goals/game ratio for was OK when you consider the way we were playing under Laws. I think the way we have started playing under AI will suit Reg even more, and I think we will really start to see the best of him now. Come on Luke, shut the moaners up!