LUKE VARNEY

Guest wilkotheowl

Doesn't score as much as he should. But if he was a 1 in 3 guy we wouldn't have got him.

Like his work ethic, like his pace. Like that he can play in a three up top as well as a normal 442

As good as or better than what we've got.

Perhaps in an Irvine team he can improve his scoring rate.

Guest Walkley_Owl

Doesn't score as much as he should. But if he was a 1 in 3 guy we wouldn't have got him.

Like his work ethic, like his pace. Like that he can play in a three up top as well as a normal 442

6 in 18 starts............ (plus five sub appearances)

Guest davylowe

Dunt pick up two many injuries and irvine could bring out the best of him.

Think its a good move myself.

Suprised clarke is still getting slagged off seing he scored the other night

flip me whats he got to do apart from leave in some peoples eyes.

Cut him some slack ffs.

I wouldnt tinker with the starting line up too much at the minute (unless JJ is going to be out) but I think Varney does provide us with that pace that we often lack in attacking areas.

I think that although he quite clearly has his short comings he gets hounded a little too much on here. He works hard, is quick and has scored some vital goals for us, if the team is confident it could bring the best out of him and he was excellent against Newcastle.

I just wonder where the money has come from all of a sudden.

Im suprised that Irvine has such an admiration for him though, as the strikers I think of at PNE are all chunky and slow! lol

Edited by Bluesteel

I will never know how anyone ever decided to splash 2m on him ?! :huh:

If I was the chairman who's got this much of his own money spent on Varney - I would honestly sue the Manager...

He was very impressive at Crewe, direct, fast and scored some good goals in his time there. His name seemed to pop up under Geoff Stelling many a time.

Given the fees quoted for the likes of Mackail-Smith and Aaron Mclean £2m isnt that suprising in an inflated market for lower league english players.

Granted no one would pay that now, but he did look to be a prospect.

Guest ReginaldBlinker

i find it strange that laws and irvine both like the same player.

i would have liked to have seen an 'irvine' signing.

he fits in

he tries - we can't afford a lazy duffer

we know him

he likes the club

....is therefore a low risk signing to bolster the squad at a busy time when other strikers are short on fitness. I'd rather have him than not.

I dunt understand wednesdayites - people are generally slagging a bloke off on here cos he didnt do the business under Laws i.e. hes didnt bang in a crap load of goals - then 'fans' start pointing the finger saying thats why we are in a relegation dogfight - IMO this is just pure tunnel vision and a tad ridiculous to blame it on 1 player

Are wednesdayites not into second chances and all that?! Take the last two games as an example - Irvine has got the lads and the opponents actually thinking about how to play against us - Varney will be alright for us - as far as im aware Sodje isnt coming back so hes a good backup to the setup we already have

Edited by Silkstone Owl

Guest Walkley_Owl

I dunt understand wednesdayites as 'fans' - people are generally slagging a bloke off on here cos he didnt do the business under Laws i.e. bang in a crap load of goals and then point the finger saying thats why we are in a relegation dogfight - IMO this is just pure tunnel vision

Are wednesdayites not into second chances and all that?! Take the last two games as an example - Irvine has got the lads and the opponents actually thinking about how to play against us - Varney will be alright for us - as far as im aware Sodje isnt coming back so hes a good backup to the setup we already have

Akpo played Saturday

varney and clarke against preston were exceptional

if AI is judging him on that performance against a team he was in charge of then it is no surprise we have re-signed him

i would expect them to play together again on a regular basis

also when the end of season contractual situation with our strikers is reviewed i would say it's a fair comment to assume that sodje and jeffers will not be renewing

maybe a bit of forward thinking from AI, varney on a perm?

he fits in

he tries - we can't afford a lazy duffer

we know him

he likes the club

....is therefore a low risk signing to bolster the squad at a busy time when other strikers are short on fitness. I'd rather have him than not.

me too mate.