LUKE VARNEY

Guest wilkotheowl

Luke Varney is a headless chicken, that said I'd rather play him than Leon Clarke. Starting with Clarke in the side is like having 10 men. Someone recently claimed that Clarke has "pace"!! In truth Leon Clarke is one of our most embarrassing signings of all time, he ranks along side Larry May, Lee Peacock, Guy Branston and Dean Smith. Colin West doesn't even make the list!

Guest Sniper1

According to the BBC website, Peterborough are expecting Charlie Lee to play at CB on saturday (that might not be accurate, just what the BBC say)

Charlie Lee is pretty small- only about 5 foot 6 or 5 foot 7 iirc, so i'd play Clarke and Tudgay together, as i think they'll get more joy out of him.

Plus also, Varney and Tudgay are pants together- absolutely pants.

Varney is better in the air than Leon, no question.

Guest Aussie_Dave

Luke Varney is a headless chicken, that said I'd rather play him than Leon Clarke. Starting with Clarke in the side is like having 10 men. Someone recently claimed that Clarke has "pace"!! In truth Leon Clarke is one of our most embarrassing signings of all time, he ranks along side Larry May, Lee Peacock, Guy Branston and Dean Smith. Colin West doesn't even make the list!

But with AI having the team a lot more organised he may be able to take that energy and turn it into a massive positive in terms of starting pressure high up the park Edited by Aussie_Dave

Guest Sniper1

Luke Varney

Going on the last 2 away wins(flip me that sounds good), Mr Irvine as made us much more compact, much more organised. The defence is again playing as one unit

we have a four man midfield who aren't affraid to defend, Soares, Potter, JOC and Micky G, gives us a good balanced shape in midfield. We have Tuggy and JJ who are 2 very hard working frontmen, Varney can do this, in turn taking pressure of our defence.

Good signing, would like to see him come in permanantly in the summer, Tudgay, Varney and 2 others.

Much much rather see the ball go out for a goal kick or a throw in deep inside the oppositions half than giving away the ball on the flippinghalf way line by playing pretty little sideways passes.

Its now all about results, back to front as quick as we can. With pressure comes corners, free kicks & long throws = chances.

WTID

You should have faith, this forum is full of people who are only happy when they're moaning.

When Irvine was announced 100s of you had a nervous breakdown... now he's the dogs testicles.

We have Varney now, the manager will get the best out of him.

Yep, glad to have you back, Varney!

But how has that business with the match ban been sussed, he was supposed to be dropped from the match v Blackpool that got postponed. But then he missed it and went back to Derby. Has he been sidelined to serve his match ban or does that follow him when he now comes back to S6?

Guest Walkley_Owl

his ban was applicable to HIS next game, not ours, he "missed" Derby's cup tie at Millwall (albeit he wouldn't have played anyways)

This was funded by the backroom staff leaving by the way.

What dont people see in him? He's a decent Championship striker in an average Championship team. He isint going to set the world alight but he's got a fairly good goal scoring record and has commanded some decent transfer fee's in his time.

I dont see who else we could sign with his goal scoring record, who knows the club, who is as committed.

Id prefer this to taking a punt on a kid from a Premiership team. Whats the next suggestion? A lower league striker? Varney was banging them in at the league before so i think he's a steal. We've got a player who commanded a decent fee for a whole season by just paying his wages. Its not bad work and he's the best option we could hope for.

I really dont see what the issue is here.

Guest Ripley Owl

You should have faith, this forum is full of people who are only happy when they're moaning.

When Irvine was announced 100s of you had a nervous breakdown... now he's the dogs testicles.

We have Varney now, the manager will get the best out of him.

Agree 100% , lets let Mr Irvine do his job ,if he thinks Varney is going to be an asset to this football club until the end of the season thats good enough for me UP THE OWLS ! :biggrin:

Agree 100% , lets let Mr Irvine do his job ,if he thinks Varney is going to be an asset to this football club until the end of the season thats good enough for me UP THE OWLS ! :biggrin:

Owlstalk, a home for negative gobshites.