LUKE VARNEY

Guest wilkotheowl

We could at least gamble on money we can offer.

Varney proved he aint a good enough to be relied on to score goals at this level.

1 in 3 Malek. Why would we gamble in a relegation scrap when 1 in 3 is as good as many strikers in this league?

Everyone is gunning for Andy Carroll and Leon Best and they have a worse scoring rate.

We could at least gamble on money we can offer.

Varney proved he aint a good enough to be relied on to score goals at this level.

Which would be how much exactly ?

Who would you get in ?

To me Varney offers us much more than Clarke and Sodje, and 1-3 isn't too bad for this league.

I wasn't aware he had such a good goalscoring rate in all honesty.

Still I can't see him scoring on regular basis. He have certain things he is good about, and others he can't do at all. In my opinion he is too similar to Marcus Tudgay, and wastes far too many chances.

I told many times that I would much rather gamble on a goalscorer like Noble, than workhorse like Varney. He didn't do too bad here, but not a type of player I'm usually fond of.

To me Varney is one of the players responsible for us collapsing.

We were playing teams off the park and losing mainly because certain players could not finish.

Varney is a woeful finisher....doesn't matter how much graft we show...if we can't finish it breeds a feeling of depair amongst the players.

Needless to say I hope he gets a hatrick on saturday and proves me wrong.

Terrific finish vs Bristol

Even better vs boro (screamer off the bar), excellent header vs Toon.

There's talent there, hopefully AI can utilise it.

Guest Walkley_Owl

I wasn't aware he had such a good goalscoring rate in all honesty.

Still I can't see him scoring on regular basis. He have certain things he is good about, and others he can't do at all. In my opinion he is too similar to Marcus Tudgay, and wastes far too many chances.

I told many times that I would much rather gamble on a goalscorer like Noble, than workhorse like Varney. He didn't do too bad here, but not a type of player I'm usually fond of.

we are NOT in a position to gamble on an unknown from the reserves of the PL

Guest Walkley_Owl

I cant believe we are still justifying a player with a good goal scoring record who cost a few million quid, who we have happened to get for just wages and we are upset?

Its a good signing.

Mate they think we should be raiding Man You for Macheda etc

we are NOT in a position to gamble on an unknown from the reserves of the PL

Unknown player in the Sunderland reserves is a natural goalscorer, glorified by almost every coach in the country.

Varney scored 17 goals in 91 Championship game he played in :dry:

If you are good enough, you are old enough !

Unknown player in the Sunderland reserves is a natural goalscorer, glorified by almost every coach in the country.

6 in 18 for wednesday.

AI clearly knows about Varney and what hes about.

I'll take that over gambling on a fetus.

Guest CampbellOwl-36

Then why is he in the Sunderland reserves? Surely such a natural goalscorer would help teams like Middlesborough get their season underway or be at Forest helping them with their promotion push?

Mate they think we should be raiding Man You for Macheda etc

I think managing to have Varney for pretty much the whole of his Derby contract thus far is a steal to be honest.

I know he's frustrating and can be disapponting but we are a Championship team at the bottom of the league and he's a good signing.

How can any reserve who hasnt got goals in competitive football be taken over an established Championship player in Varney.

Its absolute beggars belief.

So how do we go about replacing those backroom staff then... like for like as minimum ?

I cant answer that. Obviously Alan knows. I was refering to it not being an issue in regards to selling one of our prized assets ie: tudgay or Grant.

I assume the priority at the moment is the fitness coach. We dont really need this Chief scout at this current moment. Alan seems to do intense analysis himself.

Then why is he in the Sunderland reserves? Surely such a natural goalscorer would help teams like Middlesborough get their season underway or be at Forest helping them with their promotion push?

Because thanks to my expertise, we are one step ahead of them :blush:

Mark my words - someone will get this guy on loan, and he will do wonders for them, and we will cry why it couldn't have been us.

Wasn't Kenwyne Jones reserve player at Southampton until Paul Sturrock gave him a chance ?

Guest CampbellOwl-36

Because thanks to my expertise, we are one step ahead of them :blush:

Mark my words - someone will get this guy on loan, and he will do wonders for them, and we will cry why it couldn't have been us.

Wasn't Kenwyne Jones reserve player at Southampton until Paul Sturrock gave him a chance ?

I did all my crying when Palace beat us to sign that goal machine Freddie Sears :biggrin:

Wasnt Craig Lindfield talked about in the same light after his Youth team exploits?

He managed a whopping 2 goals in 20 games for Accrington Stanley.

This isint the time for gambles like that. Lets stick with someone who knows the club, enjoys the club and has a decent goalscoring return.