Ipswich Town - There for the taking

Reading what Ipswich Town players and supporters are saying there's got to be a fantastic chance of not only three points against them but a shedload of goals

Sounds like they're totally dejected, hating life and have given up on this season already

Ipswich Town striker David McGoldrick says he would welcome a summer shake-up at the club.

There are just two games left of a dismal season – at home to promotion-chasing Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday and at relegation-fighting Nottingham Forest next Sunday – with the Blues still in danger of their lowest second-tier finish since 1959 (16th).

Manager Mick McCarthy is determined to stay on for the final year of his own contract and says, with several loan deals and player contracts expiring, there is a golden opportunity to freshen up his squad.

“It will be an interesting summer and a big summer for everyone,” said McGoldrick. 

“The gaffer has said in the press that he wants to maybe change a few things around in the summer and get new players in. 

“There are a few loan players and players out of contract facing uncertain futures and the gaffer has said he maybe wants some new blood in the summer. 

“Hopefully that helps the team. It definitely helps when you see an exciting player come in and, on the first day of training, you all think ‘OK, we’ve got something here’. It gives you all a buzz going into the first game.

“I know personally that if two new strikers come in then the gaffer will have brought them in to play. That would keep me on my toes. I’m hoping there will be new players and new blood because that pushes everyone – and that is what we want.

“It could be a big turning point.”

There is still an air of uncertainty surrounding McCarthy’s future given his comments today. He says that owner Marcus Evans has ‘talked around’ the topic of a summer budget and that all major decisions are on hold until after their big sit-down chat.

“He’ll be here next season,” said McGoldrick. “He’s probably been a victim of his own success. We’re well behind the wages and transfer fees spent in this league, but we’ve finished ninth, sixth and seventh. 

“This year it hasn’t clicked for whatever reason and he’s been getting stick, but he’s a hard-nosed man and he will never hide from it. A lot of managers would have resigned or whatever, but I could never see him doing that. I know he will turn it around because he’s a top manager and his record speaks for itself.

“Hopefully we can write this season off, finish on a bit of a high and go again.”

Let's hammer em and get some goals to further boost our confidence going into the playoffs

Owlstalk Shop

I think Mick 'the gaffer' has just put his team on notice that their jobs are at risk...this should add a little more motivation to their last two fixtures.

Personally I think CC has the harder job of getting us motivated. Being 5pts ahead of Leeds feels like we're winning 1-0 and we're going into the last 10 mins of a game needing a win...

It'd be great to get our PO place secured at Ipswich

Ipswich have lost only 4 games at home in the league all season, granted they have a lot of draws but they are not a push over on their own patch. Any Mick McCarthy team is awkward to play against, I would expect something similar to the Cardiff game in terms of the opposition doing all they can to spoil the game. Hard fought afternoon in store for CC and the boys on Saturday, don't think it is as cut and dry as some would have you believe. 

Sorry but Ipswich need to be taken seriously. No let up or expectancy of an easy ride.

All the Wednesday fans going sing your hearts out for the lads and lets treat it as it is - the biggest game of the season so far

Tough game at Portman road and dingle Mick wants to spoil our chances. He has never lost against us and he won't want to now, he rested players last weekend and they will be back tomorrow.

Difficult game, no way I can see it being easy, but we can grind out a win, and end another hoodoo.

There is no walking over any one tomorrow, Ipswich's platers are professional like ours and the match previews I've seen they want to do the double on us. We need to go into this neither over-confident or under-estimating,and put in another 90 minutes of hard work. Our players should be extra motivated that a win takes all the pressure off the last game in which they can rather focus on performance and even resting key players if needed.

Up the Owls!!!

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Reading what Ipswich Town players and supporters are saying there's got to be a fantastic chance of not only three points against them but a shedload of goals

Sounds like they're totally dejected, hating life and have given up on this season already

Ipswich Town striker David McGoldrick says he would welcome a summer shake-up at the club.

There are just two games left of a dismal season – at home to promotion-chasing Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday and at relegation-fighting Nottingham Forest next Sunday – with the Blues still in danger of their lowest second-tier finish since 1959 (16th).

Manager Mick McCarthy is determined to stay on for the final year of his own contract and says, with several loan deals and player contracts expiring, there is a golden opportunity to freshen up his squad.

“It will be an interesting summer and a big summer for everyone,” said McGoldrick. 

“The gaffer has said in the press that he wants to maybe change a few things around in the summer and get new players in. 

“There are a few loan players and players out of contract facing uncertain futures and the gaffer has said he maybe wants some new blood in the summer. 

“Hopefully that helps the team. It definitely helps when you see an exciting player come in and, on the first day of training, you all think ‘OK, we’ve got something here’. It gives you all a buzz going into the first game.

“I know personally that if two new strikers come in then the gaffer will have brought them in to play. That would keep me on my toes. I’m hoping there will be new players and new blood because that pushes everyone – and that is what we want.

“It could be a big turning point.”

There is still an air of uncertainty surrounding McCarthy’s future given his comments today. He says that owner Marcus Evans has ‘talked around’ the topic of a summer budget and that all major decisions are on hold until after their big sit-down chat.

“He’ll be here next season,” said McGoldrick. “He’s probably been a victim of his own success. We’re well behind the wages and transfer fees spent in this league, but we’ve finished ninth, sixth and seventh. 

“This year it hasn’t clicked for whatever reason and he’s been getting stick, but he’s a hard-nosed man and he will never hide from it. A lot of managers would have resigned or whatever, but I could never see him doing that. I know he will turn it around because he’s a top manager and his record speaks for itself.

“Hopefully we can write this season off, finish on a bit of a high and go again.”

Let's hammer em and get some goals to further boost our confidence going into the playoffs

They were more for the taking at Hillsborough and you know what happened...need heads on tomorrow for a professional return