Can the team play above themselves for West Brom?

18 hours ago, Sparkwell76 said:

I’d be really interested in your thoughts.  

West Brom is like a cup final, where they are the better team - based on league position, player value, player wages etc.  

I wonder can the team be prepared in a way - in terms of motivation, tactics, etc - that gives us a better than normal chance of winning a match where we aren’t favourites.   

Plainly, Danny has already made a difference with this group, but unlike our peers we’ve not beaten a top 6 team. 

So is Saturday just a continuation, or is there something specific over and above that you think the team might do to try to get a vital three points?

Or are West Brom simply favourites, and we just have to hope it’s the 1 in 10 time where we beat them with a bit of luck.   

I've heard several dozen quotes from our squad members saying that we have x number of cup finals left to play, so I think our players will be well prepared. Unfortunately most football teams have somebody at the club that focuses on the psychological side of the game and most of them did the same coaching course, read the same books etc, so I am guessing that WBA players will be similarly well prepared. They need a win to guarantee their play off spot, so they will be fired up for it too. 

If Danny and the coaching team can prepare our players the way they did for our last game, the players get the right blend of defence v attack, we get some good finishing (or own/soft goals), good refereeing decisions and heroic defending, then yes there are lots of ways we can beat West Brom. West Brom were not convincing against us at their place and won by the smallest of margins when we were still playing like a pub team, so let's have them tomorrow.

We know that any game can tip one way or the other, but I just have that feeling right now, like a lot of Wednesdayites do, that we've done this kind of thing before, that these players have done it before, and with all the fans at Hillsborough roaring them on and with a foreign football psychologist, who may have a slightly different approach, we might just be better prepared and have a few things going for us that West Brom don't.

Rising to the occasion is definitely something that us Owls are good at. I think we will find ways to tip the balance in our favour tomorrow and find a way to win the game. 

UTO!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparkwell76 said:

I absolutely agree with you.  My worry is we’re not quite a solid championship outfit although to be fair during Danny’s tenure we’re not far off in terms of form.   

60/40 in West Brom’s favour I’d say…if Wednesday had a decent settled back line I’d say 50/50. I wouldn’t want to be ‘Jeremy’ Beadle trying to guess where the next defensive lapse might be happening. Personally hope Lofra plays as his pace can help cover the gaps and gaffs 🙄

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

West Brom are hardly Man City , they are a solid championship outfit with some solid championship players , with a full crowd absolutely we give them a game . 

Even Xisco only lost 1-0 there - with Bakinson and Fletcher in the starting XI lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We last beat WBA at home in 2006 and have only played them at home 4 times since,

W0 D1 L3

Overall since that win we have played them 9 times,

W0 D3 L6

We are well overdue that W1.

lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we'll do it.

For months now the players have been playing knowing that whatever they did it might not have them out of the bottom 3.

now they know that it's entirely in their own hands, no matter what anybody else does.

The task isn't easy but at the same time it's simple.

Is it enough to drain all the fear away?, I hope so.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pieman said:

We are at home.

Over the last 25 games, WBA have only gained 3 more points than us.

Hillsboro will be full to the rafters.

As long as we don’t give them a two goal start, I have us as favourites.

Bit of a mixed bag too West Broms Away form.

Won 6

Drawn 8

Lost 8

There are several mini leagues in the Championship

The top four are clearly better than everyone else. Wedensday have been garbage against them, 2 points, 2 goal scored, 18 conceded

the teams chasing the play offs (West Brom, Norwich, Hull, Coventry) are also better than everyone else, but Wendesday have done better against these teams

Away: lost 4, scored 3, conceded 10

Home: drawn one, lost one, won on.,cored 6, conceded 5

So yes, they are a much better side, with better players in all positions, but our record, especially at home against teams on their level is decent this year

2 minutes ago, WalterWhite said:

We're not playing Man City are we?

Middlesborough 1- 0 West Brom

Sunderland 1 - 0 West Brom

Swansea 1 - 0 West Brom

Millwall 1 - 1 West Brom

QPR 2 -2 West Brom

Stoke City 2 - 2 West Brom 

That's encouraging although our record against the top six isn't. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

This is my fear, we fizz about at the back like v Norwich. They have Wallace, Johnston and Diangana who press and are very dangerous.

No need to take any risks at the back.

Yes, playing about at back is playing to their strengths unless we get if forward quick to test keeper instead of passing back to Beadle 

22 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

Use the fans, make sure we are shooting towards the kop second half and just go for it.

Interesting one this. Lots of big, important games we won where we kicked towards the kop first half.......

Boxing Day massacre

FA Cup quarter final 5-0 v Burnley 1983

League Cup semi final 3-1 v Chelsea 1991

Peterborough Miracle last year 5-1

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, S1Owl said:

Yes, playing about at back is playing to their strengths unless we get if forward quick to test keeper instead of passing back to Beadle 

And I don't want to see Beadle trying to dribble around their forwards either.

Going to be hard enough without gifting them goals.

49 minutes ago, Since 1971 said:

Interesting one this. Lots of big, important games we won where we kicked towards the kop first half.......

Boxing Day massacre

FA Cup quarter final 5-0 v Burnley 1983

League Cup semi final 3-1 v Chelsea 1991

Peterborough Miracle last year 5-1

Very true.

If we start fast it’s great to be Kop first half.

Equally if we start bad it’s great to be Kop second half, like the Norwich comeback a few weeks ago.

• Like 1