Can the team play above themselves for West Brom?

I’d be really interested in your thoughts.  

West Brom is like a cup final, where they are the better team - based on league position, player value, player wages etc.  

I wonder can the team be prepared in a way - in terms of motivation, tactics, etc - that gives us a better than normal chance of winning a match where we aren’t favourites.   

Plainly, Danny has already made a difference with this group, but unlike our peers we’ve not beaten a top 6 team. 

So is Saturday just a continuation, or is there something specific over and above that you think the team might do to try to get a vital three points?

Or are West Brom simply favourites, and we just have to hope it’s the 1 in 10 time where we beat them with a bit of luck.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Other teams around us have pulled off shock results against teams near the top recently, but it's something that we just don't seem to do.  This week would be a good time to start. 

That’s my (desperate) hope! On the one hand it’s about time, on the other we’ve just not done it all season….

Yeah a similar group of players were able to beat PL Newcastle in the cup last season,  but the same group of players were able to lose to Forest Green too.

But the fitness of Windass played an important part in that.

If we have a strong team available on Saturday then i think we can draw the game...  

• Like 3

As always in these games it’s how you start.

If we start fast, aggressive and on the front foot and score first inside 15 mins we have a real chance.

If we conceded early then it’s a long way back.

Use the fans, make sure we are shooting towards the kop second half and just go for it.

Theres a real chance we could be 3 clear come FT. Wouldn’t that be a dream.

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Pieman said:

We are at home.

Over the last 25 games, WBA have only gained 3 more points than us.

Hillsboro will be full to the rafters.

As long as we don’t give them a two goal start, I have us as favourites.

This is my fear, we fizz about at the back like v Norwich. They have Wallace, Johnston and Diangana who press and are very dangerous.

No need to take any risks at the back.

• Like 3

What’s that stat about 30,000 crowds at Hillsborough and us not losing? 

After the Blackburn result we’re on a high. We can’t ask for much more. 

Make some noise and give the players belief, we can do it. 

• Like 3

The team  have worked hard to get us in this position ,Take over true or untrue this a defining match in our clubs history ,Why is Chansiri so quite ? We have to be the 12th and 13th man on Saturday drive them over the line ,Get behind them from the kick off to the final whistle ,

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

The team  have worked hard to get us in this position ,Take over true or untrue this a defining match in our clubs history ,Why is Chansiri so quite ? We have to be the 12th and 13th man on Saturday drive them over the line ,Get behind them from the kick off to the final whistle ,

I really am hoping for the crowd to get behind the players 

No ******** moaning from moaners 

Come on Wednesday !! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Sparkwell76 said:

I’d be really interested in your thoughts.  

West Brom is like a cup final, where they are the better team - based on league position, player value, player wages etc.  

I wonder can the team be prepared in a way - in terms of motivation, tactics, etc - that gives us a better than normal chance of winning a match where we aren’t favourites.   

Plainly, Danny has already made a difference with this group, but unlike our peers we’ve not beaten a top 6 team. 

So is Saturday just a continuation, or is there something specific over and above that you think the team might do to try to get a vital three points?

Or are West Brom simply favourites, and we just have to hope it’s the 1 in 10 time where we beat them with a bit of luck.   

Nearly 30,000 Wednesday fan turning up on Saturday, don’t think we would go if we thought we would get batted !! #uto

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

West Brom are hardly Man City , they are a solid championship outfit with some solid championship players , with a full crowd absolutely we give them a game . 

I absolutely agree with you.  My worry is we’re not quite a solid championship outfit although to be fair during Danny’s tenure we’re not far off in terms of form.