Being on the away end at Hillsborough

I did the Home Away Day against Yeovil back in 2010/2011, the infamous game where we just about sneaked a draw against 9 man Yeovil and missed a pen.

Was very funny because the intent by the club was to boost the atmosphere but by the end of the game we were all just singing "We want Irvine out". 

• Like 1

I sat on the back row of the West Upper for the Wycombe promotion game. Don't think you can appreciate just how good Hillsborough can be until you're watching it when it's that full and it's in full flow from the away end.

16 minutes ago, Bassetts Allsorts said:

Does anybody remember when somebody did this recently for a home game with Millwall? 

Found it bizarre somebody was jumping up and down celebrating a goal closest to the North. 

lol

Can't be all that recent, we haven't scored a goal in the last 3 home games against Millwall, last one was in 2018! 

5 hours ago, alanharper said:

My Dad and mates had a ST in the middle of the West Upper for years, I started going in early 1981, then had my first season ticket there for 81/82. We moved to the North for the 82/83 season and I always assumed that was when it became away fans only, but I've seen comments recently from Wednesdayites saying they were in there after that so I'm not sure exactly when it became 100% away fans (other than the occasional one off, and there was a time in the 90s when we used the lower section for home fans). I think the Liverpool game you refer to may well have been the 1984 LC QF, someone else said recently they were in the West for that and the 6-1 Swansea game just before it.

Me and my dad also had season tickets in the west upper for a good number of years. Great view and good atmosphere. Also was in there for the Wycombe match went we beat the pigs to promotion 

4 hours ago, zorbatheowl said:

Was on back row of upper for the Boxing day game . Loads of Wednesday mixed in with the unclean . 49,000 Attendance no danger and plenty of room. Of course pre fences but no issues

was on Cantilever (North Stand to you young un's), few Un*ted round us but no bother....seem to recall fences being up on front of kop and Lep though? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

A few times in the seventies me and my mate Spanner went in the " corner" then climbed into the west stand. Did anyone else do this ? I remember it was mostly empty  and no stewards in those days.  

If it’s the same Spanner (JM) he still goes both home & away……… And still provides us with hours of drunken, nonsensical, hilarity!

24 minutes ago, deantheowl said:

was on Cantilever (North Stand to you young un's), few Un*ted round us but no bother....seem to recall fences being up on front of kop and Lep though? 

Correct the fences were up ....

My first Wednesday match in 83 (at a guess) - I was taken by a friend's Dad and we were in the West Stand. It was against the Blades and the stand was mixed.  I was about 10 and stood up and shouted "United Pigs" at the top of my voice during a quiet moment.  Friends dad gave me a roasting and I remember sitting down sharpish as loads of United heads whipped round sporting evil stares!  

• Haha 1

100% record in the West Stand. I was in there for a game on Boxing Day in 1979. Can’t remember much other than it being the best day of my life up to that point. I’m much older and wiser now so it’s probably now only on my top 3!

7 hours ago, elyowl1 said:

Season before last Lincoln City , son is a huge fan of both teams (lives in Lincoln) , he’s been a regular there for as long as been going to Hillsborough. 

Ended up in the away end , they all know I support Wednesday so no issues with their supporters, half of them “support” other teams anyway. 

It’s true I live near Lincoln and a lot of my golf mates support Man Utd and Liverpool as well as Lincoln when they are doing ok 

Went in the West upper against Man U in the mid 80s when we ended their unbeaten start to the season - can't remember why I was on there - kop must have sold out?

Anyway pay on the gate, and mixed Man U/Owls - like Fulham used to be - no issues, even when we scored - red army my arse.

First time I stood with the away mob was against Leeds in a 3rd round cup tie 1969, it was absolutely rammed with Leeds fans, stood with my Dad in north west corner upper, I spent the whole game on edge until Ritchie equalised and I just celebrated like I always did, the few Owls around us got some funny looks. A week later I stood behind the goal for the Man City match, city only brought a modest following in comparisson to the leeds game, Wilf Smith scored an absolute belter from the edge of the box to equalise, so hard we ducked as it ripped into the net, I was sat on the wall with some other kids and we all jumped off!

I went in the west stand for the first time the following season a night game, Man Utd, I was with my older brother that night, it was his idea, again we were massively outnumbered, but there were quite a few season ticket holders in the central areas of the west stand, George Bests last league appearance at hillsborough and he really turned on 2nd half, swapped wings with willie morgan and tore Ken Burton to shreds scoring twice.

I went in the leppings lane pretty frequently after relegation in 1970, enjoyed the atmosphere. Segregation want such a big thing back in the 60s and 70s.