The big 6...

The premier league is the super league. It has most of the super league teams in it and dominates champions league and foreign domestic tv revenue.

Would our super league teams rather share their tv revenue with Luton town or Real Madrid?

English clubs not had a great European season. No representatives still involved in CL or EL now and just Villa involved in the joke Conference. Premier League have missed out on a possible 5th Champion League place as a result so the hierarchy at the clubs at the top will no doubt be peeved off. 
European league is a matter of time I reckon but it’s got to be instead of rather than alongside domestic leagues for the teams involved.

Cant say I’d miss the top 4 or 5 English clubs breaking away. The English domestic leagues would continue and maybe even thrive. May take an initial financial hit but the English product is still strong without the small number of ‘big’ clubs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's only a big 3 now.

Chelsea and Man Utd. are out of the picture.

City, Arsenal and Liverpool, 5 years ahead of the others.

Newcastle won't be catching them anytime soon and have to sell £100m of players this Summer to balance the books.

• Like 4

The Premier League is already a International / European league really just happens to be based in England.

I think the next thing will be trying to get clubs to play a coupe of Premier League games abroad each season.

This was shelved a few years ago but if owners think they is enough money in it it will happen.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think the next thing will be trying to get clubs to play a coupe of Premier League games abroad each season.

This was shelved a few years ago but if owners think they is enough money in it it will happen.

FIFA blocked an attempt to have a Barcelona league game in the US a few years ago and have been fighting a lawsuit ever since. As a result of that it appears they will now leave it up to the individual league governing bodies to decide whether or not to allow overseas games.

So based on the Premier Leagues previous with this kind of thing it's just a matter of time now.

• Like 1

I have zero interest in the EPL and wouldn't hesitate to let those who want to go and have a European super league or whatever the next incarnation go.

The issue which always raises its head is money. We need the EPL, who in turn to a perhaps lesser extent need the rest of the football pyramid.

I just wonder how worse off the football pyramid would be without the EPL? 

Considering the scraps which filter down and the relative strength of the EFL as a competitive sporting product, would the difference be substantial, or marginal?

Personally, let the top 6 or however many f*ck off, bar them from all domestic competitions. Strengthen the EFL and the rest of the pyramid to be the dominant domestic competition. 

The rest of the EPL clubs left in limbo can beg their way back into the EFL by agreement of the other 72 clubs, having spent years voting in their own interests as part of the EPL in an I'm alright jack fashion. 

It's an unrealistic utopia, but would love the EFL to grow a backbone and reclaim football for football clubs, not brands. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Jim said:

The modern games outgrown replays so this decision is no surprise to me. The League Cup will be the next to disappear.

The League cup is run by the EFL, not the FA.  FA Premier league sides don't have a say (theoretically anyway) in it's running.  

• Like 2

I do think some form of European league is going to happen. I think it will be 18 or 20 teams. There is no way 6 teams will enter from any one country, we will get 3 or 4 places. Relegation and promotion to it will have to be in place, because Man U, Chelsea and possibly Spurs will have a proper nark on about it. It will cause major fall outs of the haves and have nots. Look at Wednesday. In the years prior to the PL, we could compete with ManU, Spurs, Chelsea etc. We broke the transfer signing record a couple of times in one season. We will never be anble to compete with them again for many reasons largely money related. We are night and day in just 20 years. Let’s say Chelsea don’t make the initial cut, start to be mismanaged like Wednesday and spend a decade outside the league. A similar gulf will appear and they will get to a point where it can’t be breached. Another chasm in the football pymarid.

Im not against it, but money is ruining the football I grew up watching. However, this would present an opportunity for England to really seize the moment and build a new two tier premier league, maybe 18 teams each division. Get it right and it could thrive. I would even open up the Celtic/Rangers debate, as they definitely would not be in the Euro thinking. Playing teams like Utd, Forest, Leeds, Derby, etc in a properly funded, fan centric league would be exciting for the supporter who attends games. I would pay for that. I wouldn’t pay a penny to watch a Euro league.

• Like 1

Not watched a Premier League game since 2000. 

zero interest , Truth is IF either Spain or Italy had played their cards right over TV rights they would have had a far better offering. 

I watch Malaga quite a lot as between Uk/Gibraltar/Spain a lot , they tried and failed but I would take living on the Costa over Burnley any day of the week especially if the pay on offer was the same. 

However Barcelona and the Madrid clubs as well as a couple of others don’t want a competitive League  , Seville have been able to focus on winning a second tier European Trophy for years as they can play half heartedly in the League knowing they will get into Europe , can’t get away with that in England. 

• Like 1

The European leagues have a lot more scope for giving teams (PSG, Lille) a Saturday off before a big European tie. I know I've seen that happen in Spain also...

Something else the Premier League can't accommodate. I'm sure the clubs don't mind too much considering the prize money received by the Prem..

IF the top 5/6 clubs do join a EU super league, then the WHOLE club should leave the English FA, not just the 1st team, leaving the second string in the Prem-league,  or whatever it would be called.

They can then play the Manchester derby in Dubai, Singapore, or New York