brave or foolhardy

When he took over he realised draws would not help us out of the Xisco created mess, it was wins we desperately needed. He was (and is still) correct.

Edited by Almat
  • Like 3

Bit of both but a vast improvement over recent managers. Needs our support to do it his way. Remember how close Carlos got us to promotion before becoming much more defensive the season after. Let’s not push Danny into defensive mode.

• Like 1

There's an argument to say there's a balance to be had between going for it against sides that you have a good chance of beating and taking a more conservative approach against the top 4 or so.

But there's also an argument to say that maintaining a consistent approach to games could give us a better chance of winning those more "winnable" games. 

Only time will tell, I suppose...

Bit like Bazball, you can't really do it half measures as it's about creating an overriding attitude. It will go wrong, especially against the best teams, but it has also made a struggling and limited set of players competitive. Better to win and lose a lot than to keep grinding out draws/narrow defeats.

• Like 2

I think Danny is destined for the top, he has his way of playing and he won't compromise his principles, and good for him, I would sooner go into games with a manager who is proactive, a manager who is willing to go toe to toe with the opponent, it's up to the players to implement Danny's tactics, unfortunately when you come up against teams like Ipswich who have better players and who have been playing the same way for the last few years, it can come unstuck. I firmly believe that Danny will go on to great things, I hope it is with us but I think the job is too big here at the moment, and it will always be too big under this Chairman. The masterplan should be coming from the Chairman, he should be giving the manager the tools to put the plan in place, but our Chairman is short sighted, someone will come along and offer Danny the tools and off he will go to great success elsewhere. I see a Wilkinson Bert McGee situation in the making here

• Like 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, bhaigh107 said:

Danny has said he is a brave coach, but have some of his team selections been brave or foolhardy

against such as Ipswich and Leeds, its brave with an element of hope.

With the players he's got, no formation would have been good enough to secure even the 1 point...So hedecided to try and surprise them, owt else wouldn't have worked, might have lost  2-0 at Portman rd instead of the 6, but goal difference hasn't been in the equation since god knows when

• Like 1

I like what he’s doing. Front foot football - as Keegan used to say - not bothered if you score 3 because we’re aiming to score 4.

When there’s a change of manager we all moan, “don’t want Pulis ball, Warnock hoof, Cisco park the bus “ etc.  It’s refreshing to see attacking football. Hate going over old ground but last seasons style was b awful. 
Also, he’s putting himself in the shop window. “This is me, my style, my philosophy. You want me, this is what you’ll get “  Can Chansiri see the opportunity staring him in the face? I doubt it.

5 minutes ago, doubleo said:

It’s refreshing to see attacking football. Hate going over old ground but last seasons style was b awful. 

Only 6 teams in the entire football league scored more goals than us last season, and only 4 had a better goal difference.

I don't think our approach was that bad!

🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3

Sometimes it’s naive, the hammerings show that.

However, if we didn’t play the way he wants we wouldn’t be 1 point away from safety after being a laughing stock for the first 18 games.

Lets not forgot, many pundits and fans had us to finish rock bottom on about 25 points.

Most of us felt the same.

We play some great football under Röhl but often the players mindset costs us when conceding first

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bhaigh107 said:

Danny has said he is a brave coach, but have some of his team selections been brave or foolhardy

Brave

And always the right ones 

If we start pressuring him to sit back and try and eek out a 1-0 win like we have done to the last ten managers then we deserve to get everything that brings (0-1 defeats usually in a boring match)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Röhl's brave and has the courage of his convictions.  I fully support him for that. 

Football has to be played positively in my view and we have a manger who adopts that philosophy.  Embrace it.