brave or foolhardy

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don’t think he IS making errors when it comes to how he sets the team up

Me neither.

In the past, I've thought setting up to keep things tight and look to nick a goal on the break or from a set piece made sense when we were relatively weak compared to this division we were in, but look how that turned out under Muñoz.

We simply don't have the players to take advantage of one or two chances per game. If we're going to score, we need to be creating plenty in order to do so.

And Röhl has got us doing that about as well as I could imagine anyone managing with our current squad.

3 hours ago, alfonso123 said:

If we're going down, I'd rather we went down 'going for it'

Absolutely agree. At this stage of the season there's no room for pragmatism in games we are likely to lose anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Me neither.

In the past, I've thought setting up to keep things tight and look to nick a goal on the break or from a set piece made sense when we were relatively weak compared to this division we were in, but look how that turned out under Muñoz. 

Not just under him but every manager we have had in the last twenty years

Owlstalk Shop

We’ve always wanted a manager that goes out and tries and wins every game. 

Sets up to attack the opposition. 

Now we’ve got one some people can’t wait to knock him.

I hope he sticks to his principles, keeps attacking. 

If we go down I hope he stays and I hope he attacks league 1 the same.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Only 6 teams in the entire football league scored more goals than us last season, and only 4 had a better goal difference.

I don't think our approach was that bad!

🤷‍♂️

Fair enough, but we were 20 less than Ipswich and 22 more than Wycombe - and I couldn't watch that every week.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

We’ve always wanted a manager that goes out and tries and wins every game. 

Sets up to attack the opposition. 

Now we’ve got one some people can’t wait to knock him.

I hope he sticks to his principles, keeps attacking. 

If we go down I hope he stays and I hope he attacks league 1 the same.

I hope he's brave in these last games, we need to go for it, and get wins.  I agree with the above except I don't think many people are knocking him, just questioning the tactics sometimes.

Most fans want their team to have a go.

I think we do have some players now who can attack teams so go for it.

If BB and Poveda are fit we can do this, go for it Danny

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doubleo said:

It’s refreshing to see attacking football. Hate going over old ground but last seasons style was b awful. 

I don’t recall us struggling to score too many times last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

I don’t recall us struggling to score too many times last season.

As I said in a previous post, we were 20 goals  behind Ipswich, but only 22 ahead of Wycombe - and they were diabolical to watch.

7 hours ago, bhaigh107 said:

Danny has said he is a brave coach, but have some of his team selections been brave or foolhardy

Bit of both, but we long as he sticks around and doesn't take his learnings elsewhere then I don't mind.

2 hours ago, doubleo said:

Fair enough, but we were 20 less than Ipswich and 22 more than Wycombe - and I couldn't watch that every week.

Ipswich scored 101 goals last season and were the runaway top scorers in the entire football league; nobody was getting close to them.

Overall, I don't think we can be too sniffy about a style of football which saw us come 7th out of 72 teams for goals scored and 5th out of 72 for goal difference.

I'd certainly take that again next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to point out that, in various stages of his coaching career, the same questions were asked of Guardiola. We now know that he had a vision of the how to play the game to a successful level and stuck to his own philosophy.

Obviously Röhl does not have the same resources to see through his plan but he can stick to his philosophy whether it turns out to be inspirational or a complete mistake bearing in mind that all of us would take is the position we are now in compared to that when he started.

45 minutes ago, markg said:

I'd say naive 

Since Röhl took over, we place 12th in the table. Since the first international break of his tenure, which gave him his first chance to work with the players for more than a few days at a time, we place 9th.

What more were you expecting him to get out of this squad?

• Like 1

If we had parked the bus and lost 1-0 you would see thread of after thread of "We were never going to hold out, may as well just have gone for it, we might lose 6-0 but atleast we would go down swining".

Röhl is not, and should not be immune from criticism but he is trying to create a culture and mentality of making teams worry about us, rather than us worrying about them (Something people here cried out for during previous eras).

Were the tactics right for Leeds and Ipswich, no, but we have a young manager still learning his trade, he is going to make mistakes.  He will see them for what they are too and learn from them, if he is as good as we think.

I would rather have us making our own identity and going for it, than surrendering meekly to 1-0's

I admire and understand his bravery but the decision was foolhardy and unnecessary in my extremely humble opinion.

The Southampton game I'd have thought he'd have learned from, the set up and players that got us the prior wins we're quite capable of taking it to Leeds and Ipswich and beating Huddersfield and a point at Huddersfield would now look good. 

I guess History will be the judge. 

• Like 2

On 24/03/2024 at 11:58, @owlstalk said:

Brave

And always the right ones 

If we start pressuring him to sit back and try and eek out a 1-0 win like we have done to the last ten managers then we deserve to get everything that brings (0-1 defeats usually in a boring match)

This all day.

I'd rather lose 0-6 going for it rather than trying to grind out a defensive point.

So many managers of our past have started off playing attractive front foot football only to regress more and more into defensive mode which inevitably leads to them being sacked.

Please, Danny - or anyone involved in the coaching / playing side of the club reading this... Don't change the philosophy. Ever!!