brave or foolhardy

20 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Since Röhl took over, we place 12th in the table. Since the first international break of his tenure, which gave him his first chance to work with the players for more than a few days at a time, we place 9th.

What more were you expecting him to get out of this squad?

He's dong a very good job, I agree. 

But I'd expect a manager to know his squad a little more and know that you can't go away from home against very good teams and go out to play as we did against Ipswich. No matter how well he's done, that's just stupidity. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, markg said:

But I'd expect a manager to know his squad a little more and know that you can't go away from home against very good teams and go out to play as we did against Ipswich. No matter how well he's done, that's just stupidity. 

I disagree 100%

There's zero evidence that shutting up shop away from home would reap any more reward but one thing it does do is totally decrease the chances of getting a win to pretty much zero.

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, markg said:

It could be that he thinks our best chance is to build consistency in our play, so if we were to play a totally different style against the stronger teams, then it might result in less well-drilled performances against the lesser teams and thus a lower points haul across the season as a whole.

Ultimately, it's all about maximising the points across the season, and I honestly can't imagine many managers getting more out of this squad than Röhl has managed.

I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Let's face it: he's forgotten more about football than any of us on here have ever known.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It could be that he thinks our best chance is to build consistency in our play, so if we were to play a totally different style against the stronger teams, then it might result in less well-drilled performances against the lesser teams and thus a lower points haul across the season as a whole.

Ultimately, it's all about maximising the points across the season, and I honestly can't imagine many managers getting more out of this squad than Röhl has managed.

I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Let's face it: he's forgotten more about football than any of us on here have ever known.

Yeah that’s possibly his thinking and it might be the best approach, fair enough.

every manager we’ve had will have forgotten more than most of us know. It wimpy stop is debating decisions 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I disagree 100%

There's zero evidence that shutting up shop away from home would reap any more reward but one thing it does do is totally decrease the chances of getting a win to pretty much zero.

Disagree but fair enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Thing is - we ALL know what will happen if you got your way and Röhl went all defensive 

I'd be happy with it. 

But yeah, I get your point 

14 hours ago, markg said:

I'd be happy with it. 

But yeah, I get your point 

Ipswich aren’t that great at defending. So I can see why DR thought that his line-up could exploit that. With our poor scoring record, it was a tad optimistic. Coupled with Ipswich’s excellent scoring record, it had to work, but it didn’t (big time!).

Swansea’s away form is as ‘good’ as our home form. It will be interesting to see how that pans out. Especially sans Bannan & Poveda.

To have a good goal scoring record you need to set up to score goals. It's that simple for me.

To set up defensively against any team who have been scoring well.  just invites a defeat IMHO.

So, better to set the team up with some conviction instead of pandering to the will of an army of bus drivers wanting to park up. 

TBH, I saw the last two games as free hits so I'm not gutted by the results or Danny going a bit gung ho against Ipswich,

I do think our best way to play is consistently in the formation where we were finding our feet, 3 at the back, 2 wb, two deepish midfielders, gassama, poveda, ugbo.  Not  musaba & gassama.  Players knowing their roles and patterns of play is a huge thing in footy. 

• Like 1

I get the argument for keeping a consistent style of play regardless of opponent but not sure I agree 100% with it.  
the lack of draws is not so bad but my issue is the amount of goals we concede with this approach.  

if the 6 against Ipswich, 2 against Leeds and even the 4 against Huddersfield result in us being relegated on goal difference then you’ve got to question the approach 

On 25/03/2024 at 15:34, @owlstalk said:

I disagree 100%

This is all about opinions where we respect each other but personally I don't think shipping six goals or four in a charge of the light brigade does anything for any team. Players' confidence need protecting.

3 hours ago, victorturner said:

This is all about opinions where we respect each other but personally I don't think shipping six goals or four in a charge of the light brigade does anything for any team. Players' confidence need protecting.

Bet you that we stay up though!

I think this squad are mentally strong enough to get battered and then bounce back 

Owlstalk Shop