The bookies seem to be pretty convinced that we'll be joining Rotherham in League One next season.

Are those of us that think we have a strong chance of survival kidding ourselves?

As a related aside, they think Huddersfield or QPR will finish 3rd from bottom, maybe Plymouth, Blackburn or Birmingham; but almost certainly not Stoke. 

I don't get that. QPR have won twice as many points as Stoke in their respective last 10 games. Is "form" less relevant than we think/hope it is? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

The bookies seem to be pretty convinced that we'll be joining Rotherham in League One next season.

Are those of us that think we have a strong chance of survival kidding ourselves?

As a related aside, they think Huddersfield or QPR will finish 3rd from bottom, maybe Plymouth, Blackburn or Birmingham; but almost certainly not Stoke. 

I don't get that. QPR have won twice as many points as Stoke in their respective last 10 games. Is "form" less relevant than we think/hope it is? 

The bookies are far from convinced that we will go down.

We are 10/11 which means 11 in 21 chance which equates to 52%. Deduct their 10% over round (profit margin) and they think there’s about a 47% chance.

So they actually think we are more likely to stop up than go down.

• Like 3

George 

The way I see it is this...... 

After Saturday at Ipswich where we will lose sorry..... that leaves us with 8 games left. We then need 12+ points, so a 50% hit rate from those final 8 games. 

We have 4 HOME games left. 

Stoke + Swansea are winnable. 

+

Best chance of an away win(s) could be at QPR +/or Blackburn? 

I still think we will dig out more DRAWS

PS - I have said a few times now..... 

I think Blackburn will get "sucked into" relegation tussle.

• Like 2

If you look at games won you have to go up to 13th, Bristol, before you get to a team that’s won more games than us. It’s going to be tight but we can do it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The bookies at this stage of the season are merely reflecting where the punters are putting their money. They are not trying to steel a march on anyone, 10/11 is there to balance their book on relegation.

1 hour ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

Spot on @Holmowl

avoiding defeat at lotus road and ewood park is key imo 

Sorry HS, but I hate this mentality. 

We're below them both. We can't afford to have "avoiding defeat" as a target or even to deem it as good enough. We need to win both of those games because there are only so many opportunities like that left. 

Our next game is one it would be great to avoid defeat in. I'd take that. But against opposition we need to be finishing above, we need victories. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

The bookies are far from convinced that we will go down.

We are 10/11 which means 11 in 21 chance which equates to 52%. Deduct their 10% over round (profit margin) and they think there’s about a 47% chance.

So they actually think we are more likely to stop up than go down.

Hmm... I know what you're saying, but if that reasoning is applied to every club, only one would be relegated this season. 

The odds suggest that they / the market believe(s) we're the next most likely (after our already-relegated neighbours) to face the drop. 

I don't think we are the next most likely. I think the market / bookies have that wrong.

We’ve been in the bottom three all season. That is why we’re seen as a good bet to go down.

Punters forget the start we had and therefore the need to produce mid table-play off form to give us the chance we now have to avoid relegation.

We’ll win games, we’ll lose games. We don’t do draws and in all fairness given where we were we couldn’t afford to. To go to a side that will hang in for a draw now will be difficult.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

Hmm... I know what you're saying, but if that reasoning is applied to every club, only one would be relegated this season. 

The odds suggest that they / the market believe(s) we're the next most likely (after our already-relegated neighbours) to face the drop. 

I don't think we are the next most likely. I think the market / bookies have that wrong.

As much as we all agree , the bookies are using form  over the whole season and as such we are next favourites to go down. 

I will be placing my bets after Saturday , our odds to stay up will be longer if we to lose to Ipswich , however I suspect we will get enough points from the other games to stay up. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

Sorry HS, but I hate this mentality. 

We're below them both. We can't afford to have "avoiding defeat" as a target or even to deem it as good enough. We need to win both of those games because there are only so many opportunities like that left. 

Our next game is one it would be great to avoid defeat in. I'd take that. But against opposition we need to be finishing above, we need victories. 

you not seen Blackburn’s fixtures? 

they’re knackered if they don’t beat us 

13 hours ago, Geörge Whitebread said:

Bookies are human just like me and you, so they do make mistakes now and again, and this is one of them there, Wednesday are staying up 100%

• Love 2