Vincent Kompany

Has he gone under the radar, no one seems to talk about his managerial career.   Only finishing 3rd with Anderlecht and not winning anything, and then not doing that great with Burnley. 

Should he join the list of good player - bad manager with Lampard, Gerrard, and Rooney.  Or is it just the Premier League being a big jump from the Championship and Burnley haven't backed him with serious cash? 

• Like 1

He's on a learning curve 

Clubs like Burnley have got to be very careful about what they think their status should be

Being a yo-yo club under Dyche with a hugely improved infrastructure was a definite upside for them - but they couldn't see it

• Like 5

Had a big budget in Championship and almost made a mess of it.

Bought badly in the summer. replaced their keeper who i think was in the team of the year with Trafford off the back of the U21s performances.

Marginalised some of the players who did so well for him last year too.

I'd say he's had a lucky escape from the sack so far

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andrew1974 said:

Had a big budget in Championship and almost made a mess of it.

Bought badly in the summer. replaced their keeper who i think was in the team of the year with Trafford off the back of the U21s performances.

Marginalised some of the players who did so well for him last year too.

I'd say he's had a lucky escape from the sack so far

Did he?

1 minute ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I thought this…didn’t they win it at a canter?? 

they did. 

It was remarkably crap championship last year. Blackburn were in the top 6 for most of the season after losing 17 games (bottom of the league only lost 21)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Maybe they will bring back Brian Laws to save them from premier league relegation again- one of the most random appointments in PL history 

Up there with Spurs signing Andy Booth on loan 🙂

I didn’t get the fanfare last season.

Yes they sold a lot of players, £90m I think, but then he went out and spent 75m to win the league.

Theyve been pathetic this season. £75m plus whatever he spent in the summer for 13 points is laughable.

I think they’ll lose to United and finish bottom.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

I didn’t get the fanfare last season.

Yes they sold a lot of players, £90m I think, but then he went out and spent 75m to win the league.

Theyve been pathetic this season. £75m plus whatever he spent in the summer for 13 points is laughable.

I think they’ll lose to United and finish bottom.

Get honours board ready 

Edited by Beast of Boulogne
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Rumours are he's been sacked? 

It's not really a negative these days to be sacked as a footy manager.

I'm sure that if the rumours are true he'll be back in management quickly (if the severance pay and conditions within it allow)

20 hours ago, Rogers said:

Has he gone under the radar, no one seems to talk about his managerial career.   Only finishing 3rd with Anderlecht and not winning anything, and then not doing that great with Burnley. 

Should he join the list of good player - bad manager with Lampard, Gerrard, and Rooney.  Or is it just the Premier League being a big jump from the Championship and Burnley haven't backed him with serious cash? 

What makes a good manager if Kompany and Gerrard are bad ones. Both won the respective leagues they were managing in.

• Haha 1

Think his insistence on trying to play "nice" football has ended up biting them on the arse. 

They coasted to automatic promotion last season, but it's a huge step up from the Championship to the Premier League. Much easier to be knocking it around the backing, having you keeper playing it short when you've got a bunch of Championship players trying to press you as opposed to some of the best players in the world. 

Do also wonder if the both them and Dem Blades largely coasting last season has not set them up particularly well this time round.

I struggle to think of a top two in the Champ who had an easier path to automatic promotion. There was a brief moment where Boro looked like they could snatch 2nd spot, but it only lasted a few weeks in reality.

On the other hand, you have Luton who had to fight and scrap their way to get out of the Championship. 

I don't know, I just get the impression Luton were in some ways better prepared mentally for what was coming this season i.e. they knew they were going to be right up against it again. 

On the other hand, Burnley and Dem Blades have been like rabbits in the headlights from day one. They've looked shellshocked with how much better nearly every other team is compared to them. 

• Like 1

Pundits seem to agree that Burnley are worse than United, on the basis that the piggies occasionally have an awareness of their situation and show a bit of fight.

Burnley however are awful in every single aspect of the game from back to front , I'm surprised the fans haven't turned on them. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rogers said:

they did. 

It was remarkably crap championship last year. Blackburn were in the top 6 for most of the season after losing 17 games (bottom of the league only lost 21)

To be fair the championship has been pretty much like that for a long time which makes our journey all the more pathetic considering the so called "Big Players" we have made millionaires and some  even wealthier millionaires in this period...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scram said:

Being a yo-yo club under Dyche 

Dyche managed six full Premier League seasons and most of a seventh. Burnley recorded 72 wins, 68 draws and 118 losses in the top-flight under Dyche.

That Yo Yo must have had a bloody big knot in the string on the up lift ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2