Joey Barton , loathesone as always

He's just a tiresome bore.

Look, there are some crap women pundits out there, much there's some rubbish male pundits out there.

For the life of me I can't understand though why some supposed blokey blokes getting wound up and cry about it though. I though the whole "woke" thing was originally about getting offended and overreacting to everything? Well, isn't Joey being woke and a bit of a snowflake with this latest meltdown?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He's just a tiresome bore.

Look, there are some crap women pundits out there, much there's some rubbish male pundits out there.

For the life of me I can't understand though why some supposed blokey blokes getting wound up and cry about it though. I though the whole "woke" thing was originally about getting offended and overreacting to everything? Well, isn't Joey being woke and a bit of a snowflake with this latest meltdown?

Brilliantly said.

He talks crap. In an interview about this he said that you don't have to have played at the top level or even played to be able to be a good commentator or pundit. Just need to have worked hard to get there. He cited Mark Chapman (who is excellent imo) and Rory Smith. Well, Alex Scott has a degree in broadcasting and played the game to a higher level than Chapman or Smith. And he's said that she shouldn't be involved. 

Chris Kamara, who seems entertaining and a smashing bloke, offers little insight and made a career on Sky of being the 'lovable idiot'. If that had being a woman, she'd have been getting pelters.

Joey now doubling/trebling/quadrupling down on Twitter

There definitely are some weak female pundits and commentators who are only their to check a box - that’s obvious 

Equally there are also some weak male pundits and commentators only their because they’re a name 

Both are inadequate. 

Joey going full Andrew Tate on this topic isn’t really needed, and it’s actually detracting from a wider discussion about representation vs capability - both have pros and cons 

Looks like Joey will soon become the next LeTiss, Curran, Beholder, David Cotterill etc 

• Like 2

I always think pundits like Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher and Ian Wright are a bit impertinent offering opinions on substitutions etc when they have never put they neck on the line to be a manager.

Similar way I think to women pundits, they have never played mens football to an elite level so they are lacking a bit of insight into what it's really like. The pace, the power and the pressure of the mens games.
I am not outraged though that we have women pundits and would not switch off when they have women pundits.

It's strange that often people that say women shouldn't commentate / offer punditry on the men's game because it's a different game also whinge when old pundits seem to be pensioned off. They too played a different game to how it's played now, so surely it's only fair that they are binned off too?

• Haha 1

to be fair i watched his interview on youtube with piers and just about every comment agreed with him .. the problem with barton though and he does make a good point ive made the same point before is that barton is the biggest idiot in football ever his cv for vile actions is as long as chansiris for been stupid . he has a screw loose and im saying all this yet he is mostly in the right regards his point . 

Edited by Hyde2005

The problem with “played at the top level” as a qualifier for speaking about football in public is that a lot of current pundits and ex-professionals are on shakier ground than they think they are.

I once read a tactical analysis of Pep’s Barcelona side at the height of their powers on BBC Sport by.. Martin Keown. Pull the other one.

Remembering Joey Barton’s career I’m not sure what insight I’m supposed to get from him that we couldn’t from anyone else (maybe even a woman!), other than how to get relegated, kicked out of a club or otherwise alienate yourself for being a c*nt.

Surely everyone understands that he's solely doing this to drum up business for his podcast though, yeah?

These aren't just 'random and controversial Joey Barton musings' that have come out of nowhere.

He even mentions it in every other Tweet ffs.

Every person that talks about this is just playing into his hands and drumming up business for him.

He's engineered it all to perfection - everyone's bitten in a massive way, and his podcast is gonna get 100 x the listens than it would've done otherwise.

4 hours ago, 1867owl said:

Surely everyone understands that he's solely doing this to drum up business for his podcast though, yeah?

These aren't just 'random and controversial Joey Barton musings' that have come out of nowhere.

He even mentions it in every other Tweet ffs.

Every person that talks about this is just playing into his hands and drumming up business for him.

He's engineered it all to perfection - everyone's bitten in a massive way, and his podcast is gonna get 100 x the listens than it would've done otherwise.

He's totally grifting. 

8 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I’m not sure “serial arsehole says something ridiculous” is quite the marketing zinger you think it is.

Then again shouting “WOKE” on Twitter at everything you’re too stupid to understand seems to carry a following so maybe you’re right. 

You're mad if you don't see what he's doing here.

He's just going down the Laurence Fox road and has obviously made a decision that he'll make more money doing this than working in football.

It couldn't be clearer.

And it absolutely is the marketing zinger I think it is. Everyone's gone absolutely mental about it. Perfect for him.

He's literally goading people with every Tweet he writes and keeps dropping in mentions of his podcaat - this hasn't just come out of nowhere.

Expect him to be a regular on GB News within a month and switch his attentions to Megan Markle and vaccinations.

• Like 2

Hayes added that she wanted to "accentuate the positive contributions" of women in sport and highlighted that females working in other professions would not face the same scrutiny.

"We wouldn't go into a hospital and have a female physician who's carrying out a surgical procedure on someone's kidney - we wouldn't turn around and say to that surgeon 'I hope she's a good patient because being a good patient means you're going to be a good doctor'.

"It's the same about being a great banker - does that mean you have to be a frugal spender to be a good banker? 

"Much in the same way, do you have to be a well-travelled passenger to be a good pilot?"

22 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I always think pundits like Jamie Redknapp, Jamie Carragher and Ian Wright are a bit impertinent offering opinions on substitutions etc when they have never put they neck on the line to be a manager.

Similar way I think to women pundits, they have never played mens football to an elite level so they are lacking a bit of insight into what it's really like. The pace, the power and the pressure of the mens games.
I am not outraged though that we have women pundits and would not switch off when they have women pundits.

I don’t necessarily agree, but that penultimate paragraph is true.

I’m not sure why Joey Barton has decided to pick a fight with Laura Woods, Bianca Westwood et al or call people eunuchs. But his point (which is lost in all his bluster) is that women can’t offer the same insight into the men’s game, any more than a male who has never played pro-football can.

I couldn’t really give a monkeys, but it’s a point I’d like to see sensibly debated more rather than having to pick between the Anti-Woke maniacs and the Cancel Culture enthusiasts.

4 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Just put Soccer Saturday on now.

Presenter - middle aged white man.

In the studio:

Tim Sherwood - middle aged white man

Clinton Morrison - middle aged black man

Michael Dawson - middle aged white man

Sue Smith - WOMAN

Ref - middle aged white man

Football league managers - >90% middle aged white men

Hardly a takeover is it?

I get that Barton is being controversial for the sake of his podcast. Although even by his standards, bringing race into it after what his brother did is really poor