Saudi Arabia have applied for World cup

MSN SYSOP

Last week's unexpected decision by Fifa to announce Morocco, Portugal and Spain as the sole applicant to host the 2030 World Cup, with three games also played in South America, has propelled Saudi Arabia into pole position to host the tournament

Fifa still as bent.....give Australia a chance 

13 hours ago, alanharper said:

Great, another winter World Cup in a medieval country.

Not sure exactly why Australia pulled out, but this would surely have been their best ever chance to host it. Presumably they can't compete with the Saudi backhanders.

Australia had no chance of hosting it. FIFA wanted bids that had the backing of their confederation. The AFC President had backed the Saudi bid immediately, which essentially decided the host there and then.

9 minutes ago, R-Sole14 said:

Australia had no chance of hosting it. FIFA wanted bids that had the backing of their confederation. The AFC President had backed the Saudi bid immediately, which essentially decided the host there and then.

Bit gutted by this. Another chance to build the game further here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Bit gutted by this. Another chance to build the game further here.

There’s not a lot in it for anyone to build the game here.

Australia does have an excellent record of hosting major sporting events, has plenty of pre existing facilities and anything new or upgraded would be well utilised. I think England more than anyone could attest to that meaning nothing.

FIFA have been able to keep their hands clean this time though.

13 minutes ago, R-Sole14 said:

There’s not a lot in it for anyone to build the game here.

Australia does have an excellent record of hosting major sporting events, has plenty of pre existing facilities and anything new or upgraded would be well utilised. I think England more than anyone could attest to that meaning nothing.

FIFA have been able to keep their hands clean this time though.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Little to no interest in building the game up here.

From an outsiders point of view, there dose seem an undercurrent of we don't want it competing with our traditional sports. Plus the why are my tax dollars going to funding this when.....

That's fair enough, but there is enough room for all in my opinion and it's not like it's expensive to follow any sport here tbh. Facilities are always well used and world class imho.

Edited by Maddogbob