Saudi Arabia have applied for World cup

MSN SYSOP

8 minutes ago, R-Sole14 said:

There’s not a lot in it for anyone to build the game here.

Australia does have an excellent record of hosting major sporting events, has plenty of pre existing facilities and anything new or upgraded would be well utilised. I think England more than anyone could attest to that meaning nothing.

FIFA have been able to keep their hands clean this time though.

In that case, I presume they won't be convicted of stealing and have 'em lopped off

22 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Little to no interest in building the game up here.

From an outsiders point of view, there dose seem an undercurrent of we don't want it competing with our traditional sports. Plus the why are my tax dollars going to funding this when.....

That's fair enough, but there is enough room for all in my opinion and it's not like it's expensive to follow any sport here tbh. Facilities are always well used and world class imho.

*cough* Murdoch *cough cough*

• Like 1

Countries have got wise to FIFA. Absolutely no point in any other country bidding once Saudi Arabia had thrown their hat into the ring.

No other country could match the bribes that SA would have been prepared to pay .

It's why England will never host it again. After the humiliation when Qatar was awarded it, I don't think we will ever seriously bid again. 

1 hour ago, Night King said:

In a slightly related note if you ever wander what the definition of sports washing is watch the build up to the Fury fight last weekend. 

Seemed like AI trying to do something to impress humans lol

14 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Countries have got wise to FIFA. Absolutely no point in any other country bidding once Saudi Arabia had thrown their hat into the ring.

No other country could match the bribes that SA would have been prepared to pay .

It's why England will never host it again. After the humiliation when Qatar was awarded it, I don't think we will ever seriously bid again. 

Interesting idea… will be funny if people stopped bidding for it 

I was born the year England hosted it and have always wanted to see a world cup back here having missed that one, but it's now getting to the point that the chances of seeing one in my lifetime are getting very slim😪

On 04/11/2023 at 14:41, MF TAZ said:

We can’t complain and then all go and watch it like we keep doing 

they could hold it in North Korea, Russia, 1941 Germany - we’ll all still watch it 

we allow this by supporting the World Cup no matter what 

Speaking as someone who wasn't going to watch the last one, then ended up watching more of it on TV than any other one in recent memory, I don't think you are far of the mark. 

There's something about football that is just irresistible to the those of us that love the game, and the World Cup ..well there's nothing better in football is there?  

I would imagine that FIFA will just start awarding tournaments now without a bidding process, although that will cut down on the freebies, jollies and bribes from bidding nations which they will find upsetting. 

I expect China will host it in the distant future; they had the Olympics and did a great job. 

Oh and North Korea, I think they have the biggest sporting arena in the world?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rungrado_1st_of_May_Stadium