Burnley facing match fixing investigation

ANDY

Surely nothing will come of this?

Burnley have a squad and they're entitled to select whoever they want from it, as they see fit.

If the manager feels that certain players are due a rest and he's now in a position to give them one with promotion now secured, then so be it.

It's not as if he played a load of youngsters and got hammered 5-0, is it?

They drew, for Christ sake!

:duntmatter:

• Like 2

I remember Colin whinging about this when they went down in 2007, Liverpool picked what was in his head a weak team and somebody (maybe Fulham?) got a vital point off them.

Hmm, who's team is currently in a relegation with Reading at the moment? I wonder where this accusation might have come from... 

"Championship leaders Burnley have been asked for their observations by the EFL after making six changes to their starting line-up for a trip to Reading.

The Clarets had already confirmed promotion to the Premier League before their 0-0 draw with the Royals, who are in a relegation battle.

Huddersfield Town, who are also fighting to avoid relegation, contacted the EFL to query the number of changes.

EFL regulations say full strength sides must be fielded in league matches.

However, it is thought the Clarets are not likely to face any punishment.

The regulations also state that "from the fourth Thursday in March, any team sheet for a league game should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the league game before".

The team sheet includes substitutes and Burnley had 14 players on the team sheet who had also been in the matchday squad of 18 for the previous game, a 2-0 victory over Sheffield United.

It is understood the EFL would ask for observations as a matter of course if contacted by another club.

Huddersfield sit one point and one place outside the Championship relegation zone, above Reading, but with a game in hand."

Knew Colin would be involved, the bitter old sod. 

So basically, Burnley haven't broken any rules at all then. 

• Like 3

It's utter nonsense and the EFL should have told Colin and 'Udders to pi55 off. 

Given how good Burnley have been all season, I think it's reasonable to assume that their backup first teams players were good enough to beat Reading 9 times out of 10. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Colin was whinging about Fergie doing it when they lost to West Ham to relegated United

Also Liverpool - the state of him, it's always somebody else's fault.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/neil-warnock-i-ll-always-be-bitter-after-liverpool-cost-me-topflight-place-6376597.html

It's actually Liverpool having the audacity to rest players a few days after winning a Champions League semi final that got United relegated - not the fact that they couldn't get a point from Villa away and Wigan at home!

Here's Liverpool's "disgraceful" team from that game by the way - 

Reina, Arbeloa, Paletta, Hyypia, Insua (Finnan 75), Pennant (El Zhar 65), Alonso, Sissoko, Gonzalez (Kewell 77), Fowler, Bellamy.

Just the 10 international players starting, who by the end of their careers had 515 caps between them. (and the subs who came on had another 120)

Ironically the only non-international (Pennant) was one of only two players who hadn't been rested and had played in that CL semi. 

Oh, and Man Utd's "weak" team against West Ham -

Van der Sar, O'Shea, Brown, Heinze, Evra (Giggs 57), Solskjaer, Carrick (Scholes 58), Fletcher, Richardson, Smith (Ronaldo 58), Rooney.

On 23/04/2023 at 14:50, Whitechapel Owl said:

Click bait 

Anyone using the words ‘match fixing’ for this would be out of order to me. Sort of libellous. 

It’s using your squad, not rigging games etc. 

I remember this happening: 

Wolverhampton fined £25,000 over Mick McCarthy’s 10-change tactics

• Manager sent out weakened team for visit to Old Trafford
• Kevin Doyle warns league has set dangerous precedent

Press Association

Thu 18 Feb 2010

• Like 1