Our Loyal Fans Deserve More

9 hours ago, bolton9owl said:

Week in week out we read articles and reports that the support we give the team especially away from Hillsborough is exceptional for League 1 and yes it is without doubt we have some of the best supporters outside the Premier League. But I can’t help feeling that all the effort and the cost of traveling to places like Peterborough on a Tuesday night is not fully appreciated by the management of Sheffield Wednesday. We travel miles to see our talented squad play attacking fearless football and cause our opposition problems from the kickoff but repeatedly the team selection and playing style just infuriates the fans. Yes he’s a nice bloke but his failure to learn from his mistakes is beginning to make some fans question if we will ever get out of this league under his management.

As a lifelong supporter I want to see the team set up to attack and that doesn’t include having 5 players at the back so come on Darren recognize that you have one of the best squads on the division and your defensive tactics are now starting to wear just a bit thin 

Wednesday fans do deserve better than a third division club but, because of the way the club has been run, we as a club are probably where we deserve to be.

It was the same in the 1970s. We used to take over smaller grounds in the Third Division with our excellent support, but teams were either better than us, or they were so up for it (as it was their Cup Final) it took 5 years to get out of the league.

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

True

Thats one night though 

We are an attacking side with an attacking manager 

Very true but if you set up like we did last night out to probably snatch a point and the defence can't deal with crossers, then basically your screwed. DM set the team up as if he was scared to death of Peterborough and it backfired big style. That's not the sign of an attacking team or manager 

10 hours ago, bolton9owl said:

Week in week out we read articles and reports that the support we give the team especially away from Hillsborough is exceptional for League 1 and yes it is without doubt we have some of the best supporters outside the Premier League. But I can’t help feeling that all the effort and the cost of traveling to places like Peterborough on a Tuesday night is not fully appreciated by the management of Sheffield Wednesday. We travel miles to see our talented squad play attacking fearless football and cause our opposition problems from the kickoff but repeatedly the team selection and playing style just infuriates the fans. Yes he’s a nice bloke but his failure to learn from his mistakes is beginning to make some fans question if we will ever get out of this league under his management.

As a lifelong supporter I want to see the team set up to attack and that doesn’t include having 5 players at the back so come on Darren recognize that you have one of the best squads on the division and your defensive tactics are now starting to wear just a bit thin 

I was one of those travelling fans yesterday 

I thought our game plan looked decent up until the wrongful dismissal 

we looked the better team and Peterborough looked little threat 

going into the second half with bench we had only looked favourable to us then that awful decision put us down to ten 

we kept battling and thought our lads did really well but the inevitable happened and there was no way back

nobody but the referee can be criticised yesterday it spoiled a good and relatively even game of football

let’s not get knee jerk for losing to one of the automatic contenders at their place on a stormy midweek night when we’ve only got 10 men

take the result away our lads worked like troopers and did us proud

referee needs sacking shocking performance in more than one decisions that clown utter shocking   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if some fans buy a book, then at the end of each page shout "THIS IS A RUBBISH BOOK. THIS BOOK IS RUBBISH" because they didn't like what had happened in that page?

Only to get to the end of the book to find out it wasn't that bad at all and in fact was quite good and enjoyable, but they'd spend the whole reading time moaning about individual pages?

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, fpowl said:

let’s not get knee jerk for losing to one of the automatic contenders at their place on a stormy midweek night when we’ve only got 10 men

Yep...spot on the ref changed the game just as we were taking control that's football peeps

17 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

True

Thats one night though 

We are an attacking side with an attacking manager 

The comment was made re away matches and we are not an attacking force away from home. Had we been last season we would have gone up automatically IMO.

Our so-called attacking manager's negativity also contributed largely to the play-off defeat.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

The comment was made re away matches and we are not an attacking force away from home. Had we been last season we would have gone up automatically IMO.

Our so-called attacking manager's negativity also contributed largely to the play-off defeat.

Got ya 

Yeah I hear you

Owlstalk Shop

11 hours ago, markg said:

eh? We scored 3 in one game dind't we?

Eh? Last three league games we’ve scored 1,1 and 0. That’s 2 goals in the last three league games one of which was a penalty. So, as I said one goal from open play in the last three league games. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

How do you explain the second half of last season tho?

The second half of last season has been and gone - if you can’t see the problem you are watching with rose tinted glasses. 
The case is now and a five man defense tells the opposition we are scared to death of their attacking force and there lies the problem.

We have possibly one of the best squads in L1 and yet we line up with 5 players creating a defensive wall and all that does is give the oppositions oceans of room for them to cause us problems and it invariably does.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fpowl said:

going into the second half with bench we had only looked favourable to us then that awful decision put us down to ten 

we kept battling and thought our lads did really well but the inevitable happened and there was no way back

nobody but the referee can be criticised yesterday it spoiled a good and relatively even game of football

referee needs sacking shocking performance in more than one decisions that clown utter shocking   

We can’t blame the ref for two goals scored by opposition players in the middle of our box near the 6 yard line having unchallenged headers and being able to pick their spot. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

How do you explain the second half of last season tho?

The second half of the season where we took 18 from 39 away league points, winning 5 out of 13 away games and added to that a playoff away defeat? Our away tactics are negative and that that is down to the manager. Nothing seems to have changed this season in his approach so it’s just not going to to give us enough points to get into the top 2.  Often when we take the lead away we sit back instead of going for it - it’s hurting us and we don’t seem to want to adjust.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Daz said:

The second half of the season where we took 18 from 39 away league points, winning 5 out of 13 away games and added to that a playoff away defeat? Our away tactics are negative and that that is down to the manager. Nothing seems to have changed this season in his approach so it’s just not going to to give us enough points to get into the top 2.  Often when we take the lead away we sit back instead of going for it - it’s hurting us and we don’t seem to want to adjust.

Yes fair points Daz actually if you look at the away form 

Thank you - I’d not thought of that to be fair. Was just excited by the upturn in the second half of last season that gave us a real chance

But like you say it was the home form that did that and the away form still was well off 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

21 hours ago, fpowl said:

Agree. However every team knows how weak we are down our left hand side, yet DM doesn't do anything to change this.

So far this season both Pompey's manager and now Peterboroughs manager have both commented about targeting our left hand side.