Have the last three games given you confidence?

It's made me confident.

We had a very good start last year, but think we were a bit fortunate and seem to remember BPF pulling off a number of key saves. 

Don't want to jinx it, but we just feel a bit more resilient at the back. The Portsmouth game was a bit of first day of the season, anything could happen type of feel.

Very early days though. 4 points from the next 2 and I'll be very confident.

1 minute ago, Castleford Owl said:

It's made me confident.

We had a very good start last year, but think we were a bit fortunate and seem to remember BPF pulling off a number of key saves. 

Don't want to jinx it, but we just feel a bit more resilient at the back. The Portsmouth game was a bit of first day of the season, anything could happen type of feel.

Very early days though. 4 points from the next 2 and I'll be very confident.

Edited by Castleford Owl
Duplicated post

On 15/08/2022 at 10:01, mogbad said:

Quietly confident.

We're more resilient then this time last season. 

We've gained 7 points where last season it would have been 2 or 3 at best.

Last season it was 7 points

13 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Last season it was 7 points

Yes I know. I was meaning more in terms of the way we've played up to now, last season we wouldn't have ground out those results in my opinion.

On 15/08/2022 at 09:50, @owlstalk said:

Scraped out some results
Kept clean sheets
New players coming in and doing well

Confident?

Yes actually

Its been a rough and doggy start, I was VERY worried that losing the midfield balance with Luongo would adversely affect Bannan and that if we relied on him as much as last season we would be nullified.

While he has been adversely affected, we have shown an ability to grind out results even when circumstances are against us.

More importantly the rest of the midfield has stepped up, meaning even without width and pace we are still not as predictable as we were last season.

As players gel and with 1 or 2 more signings we will only get better.

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

Yes actually

Its been a rough and doggy start, I was VERY worried that losing the midfield balance with Luongo would adversely affect Bannan and that if we relied on him as much as last season we would be nullified.

While he has been adversely affected, we have shown an ability to grind out results even when circumstances are against us.

More importantly the rest of the midfield has stepped up, meaning even without width and pace we are still not as predictable as we were last season.

Well said mate

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

34 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

Yes actually

Just in case we don't get the 1 or 2 signings folk think we need,  then judging by the last couple of games,  Bannan,  Dele,  Vaulks and Johnson all need to raise there games.  They havent reached anywhere near the standards of last season.  Early days yes,  but Palmer and Byers especially, are leading by example. It appears the absence of Lloungo is having a major effect on the midfield. 

I want to hear the opposing manager saying “ we couldn’t live with their power, pace and quality, look who they bought off the bench when they were 3-0 up, they’re the best team that we’ve played this season “

Instead of “ I thought that we were the best team and should have won”

19 hours ago, mogbad said:

Yes I know. I was meaning more in terms of the way we've played up to now, last season we wouldn't have ground out those results in my opinion.

Fair point, it's going well now isn't it? 🙄

• Haha 1

Personally, I don’t see this squad as top 2. I’ve thought it after every game I’ve watched this season. I don’t think the defenders that we’ve brought in are as good as the ones we’ve had last season and they aren’t as good with the ball at their feet and we know from playing with 3 at the back, those wide centre backs will have plenty of ball. We also don’t have that pace, youth and energy in this team. We need it as well as having a plan B to change the formation. 

Right now, I would feel this squad is capable of top 6 but would fall short of top 2. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

3 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Personally, I don’t see this squad as top 2. I’ve thought it after every game I’ve watched this season. I don’t think the defenders that we’ve brought in are as good as the ones we’ve had last season and they aren’t as good with the ball at their feet and we know from playing with 3 at the back, those wide centre backs will have plenty of ball. We also don’t have that pace, youth and energy in this team. We need it as well as having a plan B to change the formation. 

Right now, I would feel this squad is capable of top 6 but would fall short of top 2. 

Think Midfield and the strikers are, defence no where near good enough!

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

Think Midfield and the strikers are, defence no where near good enough!

The problem is, if we keep a clean sheet but don’t score the strikers aren’t good enough, or if we don’t retain the ball in the middle then we need a new midfielder. There’s always a knee jerk reaction.

Last season our defence was all over the place. Two signings sorted us out. This year Moore brought in Famewo who looked fine before getting injured, and has been let down by Iorfa. Heneghan and Ihiekwe look decent.

I would be shocked if we didn’t see another striker and another defender in before the window shuts.

1 hour ago, UpGrahamHydesSleeve said:

The problem is, if we keep a clean sheet but don’t score the strikers aren’t good enough, or if we don’t retain the ball in the middle then we need a new midfielder. There’s always a knee jerk reaction.

Last season our defence was all over the place. Two signings sorted us out. This year Moore brought in Famewo who looked fine before getting injured, and has been let down by Iorfa. Heneghan and Ihiekwe look decent.

I would be shocked if we didn’t see another striker and another defender in before the window shuts.

I'd go on the basis that Storey Dean and Hutchinson are better than Iorfa Ihekwie and Henegan.

And our defence wasn't all over the place all season just the first half!

We still look to be getting up to speed. 

Early isn't it, but I fear we are going to fall into a similar trap like last season where we start clicking when automatic is almost off the cards. 

Hope I'm wrong.