Barcelona Spending Explained

many observers cannot understand how a club with debts of £1bn can spend so heavily.

On 16 June, Barca's members - who own the club - voted in favour of allowing president Joan Laporta to execute some exceptional measures, which have become known as economic 'levers', in order to raise a significant cash injection.

The first lever saw the club sell 10% of its domestic television rights over the next 25 years to US investment fund Sixth Street, in return for an immediate payment of around £200m - enough, in other words, to comfortably cover Barca's summer signings so far. 

And on Friday the club announced that they had sold a further 15% of those rights to Sixth Street, bringing in a reported extra £300m. 

There are further plans to sell 49.9% of the club's merchandising operation in the near future.

Together those levers should provide an up-front cash injection of more than £600m. So, yes, Barca now have money thanks to these new financial deals, even if they come with the long-term cost of reduced TV and merchandising revenue. And they also represent a massive gamble.

6 hours ago, DCFCOwls said:

So how do they do plan on making money once that 500m is gone ? 

Ill say it again, just bin the kn obs off and let them have their euro league fantasy 

Think they'll end up having car boots in the car park every Sunday.

• Haha 1

Honestly though they're like spoilt kids. Just got to spend spend spend.

Surely this is going to knacker them up with FFP having 25"/. Reduced TV income for the next 25 year.

How are they not in breach of FFP already with £1bn of debt?

It beggers belief what's happening in football 

• Like 2

They aren't investing in any assets. I don't understand how they intend to operate if they aren't investing in future assets. Namely, up and coming young players. 

Barca's strategy is like Veruca Salt in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. "I want it and I want it now!"

10 hours ago, DCFCOwls said:

So how do they do plan on making money once that 500m is gone ? 

Ill say it again, just bin the kn obs off and let them have their euro league fantasy 

I assume they think this will get them through until they can have another go at their 'super league' idea.

It explains where the money comes from. 

It doesn't explain why they can have debts of hundreda of millions but rather then pay those be able to spend even more. 

Hmmm, then everyone will cry if they go into admin, wipe the debt at a fraction of the cost and repeat like Leicester, Derby, Rangers etc. 

I don’t understand how they managed to get in such a mess in the first place 

They’re always in the champions league, their revenue through sponsorship, gate receipts and merchandise must be ginormous

Compared to many other big clubs they  didn’t even spend loads on transfers really, most their big players had been their for ages 

On 23/07/2022 at 14:40, Django said:

I don’t understand how they managed to get in such a mess in the first place 

They’re always in the champions league, their revenue through sponsorship, gate receipts and merchandise must be ginormous

Compared to many other big clubs they  didn’t even spend loads on transfers really, most their big players had been their for ages 

Paying Messi €10m a month probably didn't help. 

On 23/07/2022 at 08:07, Anthndav said:

They aren't investing in any assets. I don't understand how they intend to operate if they aren't investing in future assets. Namely, up and coming young players. 

Barca's strategy is like Veruca Salt in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. "I want it and I want it now!"

Lewandowksi is 33.

It’s laughable.

Barcelona are supposed to have one of the worlds premier youth academies with a conveyorbelt of talent coming through it. They could probably have spent 5 years relying solely on academy products and the odd high profile player on a free (such as Lewa, but at the end of his contract instead of paying €50m) and still finished in the top 6 in La Liga/remained in Europe.

50 minutes ago, Django said:

€2m a month wasn’t it? 

Breaking down the earnings of Messi into shorter timeframes generates some eye-watering results.

The $126m he earned in 2020 meant Messi earned $10.5m per month and a weekly wage of over $2.4m.

Every day is like a lottery win for Messi, with daily earnings of $345,000. Digging deeper, the Argentina forward makes over $14,000 every hour, $233 per minute and almost $4 every second.

Over the course of his career, Messi has already earned over $1 billion before taxes and expenditure.

Full story here, it was this I read, but I think this takes into account, sponsorship and everything else. 

https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/transfer-news/2021/03/lionel-messi-net-worth-salary-contract-argentina

• Thanks 1

As absurd as those figures are, Messi will have earned Barca a fortune over the years through merchandise, sponsorship, prize money, TV money, etc. 

It’s spending 300m+ on the likes of Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann as well as signing plenty of other average players for 20-30m or more which has got them in the mess they’re in. They signed some right crap for big money over the past few years but mostly got away with it on the pitch because Messi was carrying the team. 

I find it a bit sad to see the kind of club they’ve become really, always had a soft spot for them but they just seem a bit grubby nowadays

Edited by beswetherick

On 23/07/2022 at 12:47, fudge27 said:

It explains where the money comes from. 

It doesn't explain why they can have debts of hundreda of millions but rather then pay those be able to spend even more. 

Hmmm, then everyone will cry if they go into admin, wipe the debt at a fraction of the cost and repeat like Leicester, Derby, Rangers etc. 

It stinks doesnt it 

What weve done leaves a sour taste as well, basically just dumped the club into a new company name and carried on its utterly ridiculious. Basically sod the people you owe money too and carry on as normal. 

its almost as if they have a cheat code on football manager only this is real life.

• Like 1

flipping mental how Barca - who not long ago were on the verge of financial ruin and not able to sign anyone and had to jettison players and reduce wages - to being in a position to spend over £150m on players, while still owing is it over £100m in transfer fees etc?

Its bloody corrupt but has been for a long time ..

If its not selling off tv rights, or securing investment from Americans or other companies around the globe, I'm sure in the past they've had government handouts or bought up land, built some flats and sold them for extortionate and overpriced rates with no come back whatsoever - same as Real Madrid

Barcelona will, and almost always do what they want.

Many years ago a Spaniard told me that if a Catalonian, or a Spanish bank chose to call in its debts there and then, it would do them more harm in the short time than the football club itself.

Apparently they have yet to register Kounde, Lewandovski and Raphina.

They can't register them until they lower their wage budget.

By failing to do so, they can't play any of these players and may be forced to sell them... What a complete shambles.

• Like 1