Squad as of now

As we stand currently before we fly off to Portugal. Looking good, but  more work to do, areas I'd like us to focus on highlighted.

For those who are interested, average squad age approx. 27

Stockdale (36)

Dawson (26)

Hunt (31)

**Attacking wide player**

Palmer (30)

Iorfa (26)

Heneghan (28)

Ihiewkwe (29)

Famewo (23)

Johnson (31)

James (28)

Bannan (32)

Byers (26)

Adeniran (23)

Dele-Bashiru (21)

Vaulks (28)

**attacking midfielder**

Gregory (33)

Windass (28)

Smith (30)

**forward with pace**

Plus:

Paterson (27)

(Alex) Hunt (22)

Sow (25)

Brown (23)

• Like 8

Arguably need another centre back or forward but I think the one glaring need is for a quick and preferably right-sided wide attacker. 

There’s no obvious choice to replace Hunt if we want more attacking impetus, or to play right wing in a 4-4-2 or right side of a 4-3-3 unless Moore is planning on using Paterson or Adeniran there 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

Pretty happy so far. Get wilks and Dean in and we are good to go. HMS ******** the league will set sale. 

100% this, For DC , thats the cheaper bit done , now we need to spend a bit to secure these two. Lets hope Joao moves somewhere soon for a good sum, to help us out ! 

Very happy especially after our business so far this week.

If the season started tomorrow I’d be confident, would perhaps like to see another CB and a different type of striker brought in (similar type to Windass).

Other than that, perhaps a direct pacey wide man to run at defences and stretch the game. NML was very hit and miss but would absolutely take a player like that in the squad every week.

• Like 2

1x CB and 1x forward and we're good.

The backup for Hunt on the right is Palmer. We won't sign anymore fullbacks/wingbacks now. I think the forward we sign will be someone who can play wide of a 3, which I think would be Wilks. 

34 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Windass isn’t a striker. 

At this level if we need him to be part of a front 2, he is good enough to be, and he can play wide of a front 3 (which is where I think the tactical flexibility will come from).

The front 2 is clearly Gregory and Smith, but if we sign Wilks, we've got more than enough to mix things up if we need to or if we lose either of them for any period of time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

1x CB and 1x forward and we're good.

The backup for Hunt on the right is Palmer. We won't sign anymore fullbacks/wingbacks now. I think the forward we sign will be someone who can play wide of a 3, which I think would be Wilks. 

At this level if we need him to be part of a front 2, he is good enough to be, and he can play wide of a front 3 (which is where I think the tactical flexibility will come from).

The front 2 is clearly Gregory and Smith, but if we sign Wilks, we've got more than enough to mix things up if we need to or if we lose either of them for any period of time.

But he’s not a striker? He can do a job, but you can’t be turning down offers of £1m for someone to be a gap filler. He’s a 10, and for some reason a couple of appearances up top have made fans think that’s what he is. 

• Haha 1

I'd rate our summer business an 8/10 at the minute. It's been a brilliant summer so far and we've addressed many of our shortcomings last season. I think the only obvious weakness of us right now would be pace. I'm sure the recruitment team and Moore can see that and the next 2 players who come in, will have pace and offer something different. Wilks is obviously 1 that we really want, but I think we also need a right sided Wing back or winger. If we manage to get 1 or both, I think that would probably be us unless a deal which is too good to turn down comes up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, striker said:

As we stand currently before we fly off to Portugal. Looking good, but  more work to do, areas I'd like us to focus on highlighted.

For those who are interested, average squad age approx. 27

Stockdale (36)

Dawson (26)

Hunt (31)

**Attacking wide player**

Palmer (30)

Iorfa (26)

Heneghan (28)

Ihiewkwe (29)

Famewo (23)

Johnson (31)

James (28)

Bannan (32)

Byers (26)

Adeniran (23)

Dele-Bashiru (21)

Vaulks (28)

**attacking midfielder**

Gregory (33)

Windass (28)

Smith (30)

**forward with pace**

Plus:

Paterson (27)

(Alex) Hunt (22)

Sow (25)

Brown (23)

Agree with that, even tho we scored a lot last season I still think we lack a bit of star dust in the forward areas. Hopefully we can sign a couple of very good attacking players, on loan or whatever.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Agree with that, even tho we scored a lot last season I still think we lack a bit of star dust in the forward areas. Hopefully we can sign a couple of very good attacking players, on loan or whatever.  

Agree, think that's where the focus needs to be now.

7 hours ago, Owly Mowly said:

We shouldn’t be a push over physically this season - we’ve really added some metal in that squad. Question is for me is whether that will have been at the expense of creativity

That’s how it looks but I’m confident in some pace adding that attacking line, most preferably out wide that can be utilised in the middle then we look the business 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fpowl said:

That’s how it looks but I’m confident in some pace adding that attacking line, most preferably out wide that can be utilised in the middle then we look the business 

Absolutely, we actually look like we are working to a plan for a change, now needs some gaps filling.

As you say, out wide and up front the priority now and desperate for some pace.

8 hours ago, Daz said:

In my view, we definitely need more pace from an attacking and creating perspective. Hope we address it.

Why? Our problem last season wasn’t scoring, it was conceding late on and from set pieces. Lack of pace had nothing to do with it

27 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Why? Our problem last season wasn’t scoring, it was conceding late on and from set pieces. Lack of pace had nothing to do with it

We have addressed defensive issues. That said it's about looking forward, not backwards to last season.

The squad looks short of creativity and pace. These are key attributes which we need to address.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Lack of pace had everything to do with it.

We had no pace up front so we played closed up, susceptible to the counter. A ball over the top of Johnson, Luongo or Hutch was a guaranteed free kick, anything down the channels and you were getting a throw or a corner at least every time.

Also, towards the end, once teams cottoned on, set pieces were the only thing keeping us in the running, as we weren't scoring nearly enough in open play to win games. Hence the NML experiments as we were struggling to break teams down.

• Like 2