Squad as of now

18 hours ago, 0114 said:

But he’s not a striker? He can do a job, but you can’t be turning down offers of £1m for someone to be a gap filler. He’s a 10, and for some reason a couple of appearances up top have made fans think that’s what he is. 

Well this feels like 2 separate conversations, and for what it's worth, personally I would have sold him for £1m if that was an actual cash offer on the table. I said the same at the time.

But he hasn't been sold, he's still here, and he's by and large going to be considered a forward while he is. If people want tactical flexibility then Windass is one of the central pieces of being able to do that, along with needing another signing (Wilks or an alternative). Be it playing in a 2, a 3, sitting behind a front 2 as an "attacking midfielder", starting, coming off the bench.. he gives us options, and if he's fit I bet he makes it onto the pitch almost every game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Well this feels like 2 separate conversations, and for what it's worth, personally I would have sold him for £1m if that was an actual cash offer on the table. I said the same at the time.

But he hasn't been sold, he's still here, and he's by and large going to be considered a forward while he is. If people want tactical flexibility then Windass is one of the central pieces of being able to do that, along with needing another signing (Wilks or an alternative). Be it playing in a 2, a 3, sitting behind a front 2 as an "attacking midfielder", starting, coming off the bench.. he gives us options, and if he's fit I bet he makes it onto the pitch almost every game.

He’s just not a striker though, he did a job I would say being generous. 

Point I’m making is Wednesday were turning down offers for him of around £1m and valued him a lot higher. You can’t have a player like that filling in here and there, he needs to be your key player and he’s an out and out 10. A few appearances upfront due to injuries and it seems forgot that he’s not a striker. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

He’s just not a striker though, he did a job I would say being generous. 

Point I’m making is Wednesday were turning down offers for him of around £1m and valued him a lot higher. You can’t have a player like that filling in here and there, he needs to be your key player and he’s an out and out 10. A few appearances upfront due to injuries and it seems forgot that he’s not a striker. 

This thread is about how the squad stands right now. The club turning down offers for him is a redundant point - he's here and presumably will be all season.

So where do you see him playing?

Just now, sheffield_dave said:

This thread is about how the squad stands right now. The club turning down offers for him is a redundant point - he's here and presumably will be all season.

So where do you see him playing?

I’m aware of the thread topic. I’m pointing out that many are considering Windass a striker and he is not that. Although I do appreciate he had to play there a couple times last season due to our lack of striker options. 

Windass played 7 times last season in the league and in 5 of those he was used as a 10 at some point. He has played 152 career games as a 10, only 18 as a striker. 

He has to compete with Bannan for the 10 spot in our 3412 system. Bannan will also have the option of playing in the central 2. But I do think he can operate on the left in a 4231/433 but I’m personally not a big advocate of changing system week to week.